Your future with Brissett

brooks1957

Good morning Colts Nation - Brooksie from the Dawg Pound stopping by for a visit. I want to drop my $.02 worth - post Luck retirement.

First and foremost, it is sad to see that the physical punishment of the game we all love has robbed you of one of your franchise cornerstones. But I must respect Andrew's decision to walk away now. He has given everything he had to give to this great game, and yet as he said, he has been in constant pain the last four years. All of us would want to get away from that. I think it is commendable that he walks away now, and gives his body a fighter's chance to heal itself. That process will probably take a couple of years. He needed to remove the pressure of being asked when "he was coming back" to allow that to happen.

I know that this stinks for you as a fan base in the short term, but I would also say never say never. Let's just say that he give his body 3 years and it has healed. No guarantees, but maybe he starts getting the itch to play again. 32/33 years old is certainly not old for an NFL QB. Stranger things have happened.

Back to 2019 - I think you guys will be fine with Brissett at the controls. Until last year, the Browns had needed a QB1 for forever. When I looked at Jacoby's NC State game tape, particularly at the Florida State game (jr or sr year); all I could think was - wow. We see that QB twice a year. Finally, finally, we have a realistic chance to rectify our mistakes of the past and go get our franchise QB1.

So you can imagine how enraged I was when New England at pick 91 picked Jacoby, and two picks later, Hue told us to "trust him on this one".... and our pick was Cody Kessler. I thought - There is not one team in the NFL that moves around more in the draft than New England - and we couldn't have offered a package to move up TWO SPOTS......IN THE THIRD ROUND??? But that Sashi in his heyday - if you had an ounce of talent or made more than minimum wage - you were out of here.

So we all know the story of how Jacoby got to Indy. The only question yet to be answered about Jacoby is when ascending to the unquestioned starter's role - does he embrace the responsibility or fold under the new pressure? My bet would be he thrives in his new role, now free of looking over his shoulder back to Andrew.

What will help Jacoby is an offensive line that is now the envy of the league, and Marlon Mack is a solid option at RB. TEs Jack Doyle and Eric Ebron can fill the "security blanket" role. Funchess and Hilton are very productive WRs, but you guys are going to love Parris Campbell. Once he was paired with a bazooka armed QB at Ohio State (just like he will have at Lucas Oil Stadium) his God given blazing speed became a game changer.

Losing a franchise cornerstone like Luck hurts, but you guys will be fine. Turn to the next chapter in Colts history. I still expect you to be right in the thick of the fight for the AFC South title.

Can I get a receipt for my $.02? LOL. Have a productive year in 2019.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

Good morning Colts Nation - Brooksie from the Dawg Pound stopping by for a visit. I want to drop my $.02 worth - post Luck retirement.

First and foremost, it is sad to see that the physical punishment of the game we all love has robbed you of one of your franchise cornerstones. But I must respect Andrew's decision to walk away now. He has given everything he had to give to this great game, and yet as he said, he has been in constant pain the last four years. All of us would want to get away from that. I think it is commendable that he walks away now, and gives his body a fighter's chance to heal itself. That process will probably take a couple of years. He needed to remove the pressure of being asked when "he was coming back" to allow that to happen.

I know that this stinks for you as a fan base in the short term, but I would also say never say never. Let's just say that he give his body 3 years and it has healed. No guarantees, but maybe he starts getting the itch to play again. 32/33 years old is certainly not old for an NFL QB. Stranger things have happened.

Back to 2019 - I think you guys will be fine with Brissett at the controls. Until last year, the Browns had needed a QB1 for forever. When I looked at Jacoby's NC State game tape, particularly at the Florida State game (jr or sr year); all I could think was - wow. We see that QB twice a year. Finally, finally, we have a realistic chance to rectify our mistakes of the past and go get our franchise QB1.

So you can imagine how enraged I was when New England at pick 91 picked Jacoby, and two picks later, Hue told us to "trust him on this one".... and our pick was Cody Kessler. I thought - There is not one team in the NFL that moves around more in the draft than New England - and we couldn't have offered a package to move up TWO SPOTS......IN THE THIRD ROUND??? But that Sashi in his heyday - if you had an ounce of talent or made more than minimum wage - you were out of here.

So we all know the story of how Jacoby got to Indy. The only question yet to be answered about Jacoby is when ascending to the unquestioned starter's role - does he embrace the responsibility or fold under the new pressure? My bet would be he thrives in his new role, now free of looking over his shoulder back to Andrew.

What will help Jacoby is an offensive line that is now the envy of the league, and Marlon Mack is a solid option at RB. TEs Jack Doyle and Eric Ebron can fill the "security blanket" role. Funchess and Hilton are very productive WRs, but you guys are going to love Parris Campbell. Once he was paired with a bazooka armed QB at Ohio State (just like he will have at Lucas Oil Stadium) his God given blazing speed became a game changer.

Losing a franchise cornerstone like Luck hurts, but you guys will be fine. Turn to the next chapter in Colts history. I still expect you to be right in the thick of the fight for the AFC South title.

Can I get a receipt for my $.02? LOL. Have a productive year in 2019.

Excellent take....and much appreciated. I've been around many decades, and I have seen far worse. The team is being built right, and the futures is bright. Losing Luck aside, what a great family has been created for the new QB to thrive in. Excited for the future. 

• Like 1