When to Look for Eli's Replacement?

titansNvolsR#1

Friend of mine is a huge NYG's fan. He's ready to start looking this upcoming offseason. I don't know much about the Giants, but it did catch me off guard as I hardly hear about Manning being replacement level on this side of the world. In the 2017 QB rankings on FF (I'm aware that's not the highest of sources due to bias, but the easiest place to find rankings), he averages out at 17, as high as 9, low as 24. 

When do you guys think is the best time to move on? Or are you guys even ready to move on with Eli? 

Has his decline begun? Yes, but there is debate on how much. He had a bit of a down year last year but played with no running game, no TE, a very weak OL and little depth at WR. I think he has 2-3 really good years left but could stretch it until he's 40 if things go well. That doesn't stop the Giants from looking though, and they have already started. They drafted Davis Webb in the 3rd round this year and signed Geno Smith to be their backup. Smith is still only 26 years old with starting experience.

It seems they've hedged their bets a bit with both of these moves. Eli's contact ends after his age 38 season (2019). If he's still playing at a high level, they can extend for a year or two at a reasonable price. If he regresses and Davis Webb looks like the guy (he would be going into his 4th year and would be 25 years old at that point), they could let Eli go and give the reigns over to Webb. If things turn south sooner than that, it feasible Geno Smith becomes a bridge starter for a year or two. Nobody wants this to happen but having a guy who, despite having little success as a starter, would be right in his prime with starting experience under his belt is better than having to sign the next "Josh McCown".

The ideal situation is Eli plays at a high level for another 3-4 years, retires as the greatest Giant QB of all time, and hands the reigns over to Davis Webb.

• 2 weeks later...

From my understanding, Giants were really high on Maholmes to the point of being willing to trade up. Cant recall where I read that but if the report is true then search has not only been under way but seems to have a sense of urgency to it.

Archived