Thoughts on the preseason so far?

RamRod

First off I know haven’t been around much lately and as the mod here it should be my job to keep discussions going and have an eye on things but with the season starting soon I’ll be more active.

With that said, how’s everyone feel about what we’ve seen in the preseason? Who are some players who have surprised? Who has underperformed?

I haven’t been able to watch much but I’ve heard Nsimba Webster has looked good. As has the QB Wohlford. Maybe he takes Brandon Allen’s job.

Also saw where there’s been some injuries most notably to Micah Kiser. Seeing Lamar Miller go down makes me glad McVay doesn’t play starters in the pre season.

• Like 1

McVay and Kromer know what they’re doing, it’s good seeing the reserves get so much action. It will only help us in the long run as one or two of them could be starting next year. I really like what we’ve seen from Chandler Brewer and his story is good as well. 

I think we we have some good depth at Edge, WR and safety. Corner is deep as well as long as Talib and Peters stay healthy. But both of them are free agents at the end of the year. 

We we also have some speed and youth at linebacker, we’ll see how it translates in the regular season though.

All in all I like what we’ve seen and it looks like another good season.

• Like 1

I'm very curious to see how we handle the LT, Edge, ILB and Corner spots moving forward past this season.

On a season related note, I CANNOT wait to get the starters out there and see how they've grown, especially offensively. I'm expecting great things from Goff and Corp. 

• Like 1

I like how the defense has played. Seems like we are only going to keep 6 DL but I think all will be solid and in the rotation. I like our LB depth a lot with Natrez, Obo, and Dakota, but am unsure I feel great about our starters. Shouldn't be any worse than last year but would be a bonus to get a little more from them in the run game and pass rush. I also really like our DBs and think we are going to have a tough time trimming that group up.

Our depth at OL is a major concern so hopefully we will stay fortunate and have that group be healthy. 

I'm not too thrilled that Jojo is presumably making the team. He doesn't add anything as a WR and is just a so-so returner with less than reliable hands than I'd like. Would have like to see Webster get a better shot at winning that 6th WR spot and returner role. Has been nice seeing Thomas playing so well. Have to think he has overtaken Hodge.

2 hours ago, LARams91 said:

I'm very curious to see how we handle the LT, Edge, ILB and Corner spots moving forward past this season.

EDGE - We've all identified this as a spot that we need to find some young talent. Its hard for me to imagine Fowler is still there in 2020

ILB - This is more of a scheme thing, I doubt we pay Littleton, and Im sure we will look at veteran cast offs and young role players as long as Wade is in charge

LT - This is the one I think we are actually OK at. I do think the long term answer is going to be Noteboom, but at the same time, if any of you listen to PMT, they played their Interview with Whitworth from a few weeks ago, and he didnt sound like he feels the end is anywhere near for him. He did say he evaluates at the end of each year, but he also said he wanted to play till 40. I think we try to hang onto him as long as we can, and as soon as Noteboom (or whoever) is ready to take over at LT, we just slide him back inside to Guard for awhile.

• Like 1

My criteria for the preseason is simple. Stay healthy (check), win a game because even though it doesnt count I still like winning (check), and the starters have to show positive signs when they are out there (incomplete because McVay didnt play his starters). So 2/3 isnt bad at all. The 3rd being that it worked last season plus the Week 1 opponent in the Panthers have a hobbled Cam because he played in the preseason and got hurt so advantage even more so Rams even though I hate that Cam got hurt. He shouldnt have been out there but thats just me. 

The other things if I had to point out is the rookies and seeing some of the backups so Ill lean heavily on you guys to let me know about your thoughts concerning that because I havent strongly paid attention to the rest considering its the preseason and the Rams played no starters so my interest just like the Rams are solely on Week 1 at Carolina. 

Very excited for our defense next season with the depth at LB and Secondary. O-line still scares me and any injury could cripple us. Still curious on how Gurley will be used and how the offense will change. I've heard rumblings that the offense won't look the same, but more so from a personnel groupings standpoint.

I really do expect to see more 21 and 12 personnel sprinkled in which really excites me. Keeps opponents guessing and on their toes with what our offense could call play wise. Expect to see more Darrell and Gerald out there!

I heard they did a lot of prep against the looks the Bears, Lions and Pats threw at them which is especially exciting. Knowing you have a weakness and planning against it is huge. Not being stubborn and not breaking your game plan could have caused issues as those teams provided the blueprint to beat us. This gives me optimism that Jared is also growing and learning how to attack coverages so he can add input during the game.

Edited by LARams91
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DreamKid said:

What are the chances you guys cut Darious Williams?

The Ravens might want him back with Tavon Young likely hitting IR.

I think fairly good chance. There's speculation we may keep 1 extra corner with possibility of both Talib and Peters leaving but even then we still might not keep him. I like Peterson as our 6th and maybe even Deayon as the 7th. 

• Like 1

Disappointing if Natson in fact made it over Webster, Hodge or even Greene. Hasn't shown anything in these games to even compete with those three. Granted we don't see the practices or scrimmages. 

Wolford needs to be our #3 I've seen all I need to between him and Allen. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Disappointing if Natson in fact made it over Webster, Hodge or even Greene. Hasn't shown anything in these games to even compete with those three. Granted we don't see the practices or scrimmages. 

Agree with all of this. We keeping Natson over Hodge/Webster actually bothers me. I really like Webster and think he can progress into a WR2 in a few years. 

I know we typically only carry 2 QB's, but Wolford looks like a hidden gem. Russel Wilson-esque. We should keep him on the roster for the beginning of the regular season and wait out if any teams have injuries to that position. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Wolford to PS, bet we only carry 2 QB's on the active roster. Would love to stash Hodge and Peterson on the PS. Weird as a long time Rams fan to have too much depth. Champagne problems I guess...

• Like 1