Thoughts on the preseason so far?

RamRod

31 minutes ago, LARams91 said:

Brandon Marshall (the linebacker) has been cut by the Raiders. Could be a savvy addition to what we have currently. Spent a few years playing in Wade's system.

Was just going to say this. 29years old. Experience and best years in Wade's defense. Sign this man for cheap and start him of Hager asap. 

No no no no and another no on Marshall! Every Raider fan comment about him is he’s slow, can’t tackle and was beat out by a bunch of UDFA and a 5th round pick. Just say no to this guy. I get the fascination with picking up other teams players but this isn’t an upgrade over anybody on the Rams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LARams91 said:

Wolford to PS, bet we only carry 2 QB's on the active roster. Would love to stash Hodge and Peterson on the PS. Weird as a long time Rams fan to have too much depth. Champagne problems I guess...

So does this mean I finally get my caviar dreams?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

No no no no and another no on Marshall! Every Raider fan comment about him is he’s slow, can’t tackle and was beat out by a bunch of UDFA and a 5th round pick. Just say no to this guy. I get the fascination with picking up other teams players but this isn’t an upgrade over anybody on the Rams.

While I get that "experience in the Wade's system" is a plus, has anyone considered that it's not as important as it might be in the schemes of other DC's?  Like, maybe the reason why some of these guys do better in Wade's scheme isn't because of outstanding quality or talent, but rather because Wade puts them in the best position to succeed?

Weddle's going to be playing up on the line and in the flats a ton.  I'm really not sweating ILB that much right now because all the guy needs to do is hold the POA and not get blown up en route to the Weddle and co. rallying for the gang-tackle.  Would I love to have an outstanding multi-tool rock in the middle akin to a Roquan Smith?  Absolutely, but that's arguably a luxury for us right now.  Far down the road now, considering the season's about to start, but let's just hope the Dylan Moses injury breaks in our favor (though I'd still expect the FO to prioritize EDGE over ILB early on if it comes to it).

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The LBC said:

While I get that "experience in the Wade's system" is a plus, has anyone considered that it's not as important as it might be in the schemes of other DC's?  Like, maybe the reason why some of these guys do better in Wade's scheme isn't because of outstanding quality or talent, but rather because Wade puts them in the best position to succeed?

Weddle's going to be playing up on the line and in the flats a ton.  I'm really not sweating ILB that much right now because all the guy needs to do is hold the POA and not get blown up en route to the Weddle and co. rallying for the gang-tackle.  Would I love to have an outstanding multi-tool rock in the middle akin to a Roquan Smith?  Absolutely, but that's arguably a luxury for us right now.  Far down the road now, considering the season's about to start, but let's just hope the Dylan Moses injury breaks in our favor (though I'd still expect the FO to prioritize EDGE over ILB early on if it comes to it).

I don't disagree, but if he can come in and help the young guys at a cheap price I don't see the harm. We know what Hager is and isn't. He's not the run stopper we're looking for to play next to Littleton. Maybe I'm alone in what I see Hager's role as needing to be, but I just don't see a bad thing out of the signing.

2 minutes ago, LARams91 said:

I don't disagree, but if he can come in and help the young guys at a cheap price I don't see the harm. We know what Hager is and isn't. He's not the run stopper we're looking for to play next to Littleton. Maybe I'm alone in what I see Hager's role as needing to be, but I just don't see a bad thing out of the signing.

It's opportunity cost.  We bring him in we have to let someone go.  And even if that someone is Hager.  I'm not convinced that Marshall would pick up Hager's slack on ST's.

16 minutes ago, LARams91 said:

Think about it this way. The guy was the first player cut on a team who by all reports is weakest at the position he plays. All people are saying about him is he's slow and can't tackle anymore. Wade knows this guy and didn't sign him this off season even though some around here think it's a vital need. Wade passed on him and now the Raiders in spite of not having good ILB have cut him first before anybody else. That should be all you need to know about his value. 

3 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

This means Wolford should get the spot as the QB3 (or more than likely that they're going to roster him as the QB3 for a couple weeks until team get through the initial surge of signing guys off of trim-down cuts and then we'll probably cut him when we need a temporary injury replacement for a player and then sign him to the PS when it's easier to ensure he'll clear waivers).

• Like 1

I have a hard time accepting that we didn't find a player better than Natson for KR and PR in the offseason. 

For Wolford i'm happy for him, in fact if Goff is hurt i would prefer starting him instead of Bortles. 

But i'm still worry a lot about the depht of our OL. It's not good enough and we are in big trouble if a starter is injured.