Elky

Who was the better prospect?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Luck or Lawrence

• Andrew Luck
    • Trevor Lawrence

56 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Um

Don’t see what the problem is there. In the Jordan vs Len Bias debate, which this reminds me of, one guy proved to be the real deal and the other didn’t. College life is crazy, sometimes when you combine expectations, negative influences, and bad decisions you get crazy circumstance. I could’ve just as easily mentioned Johnny Football or a JaMarcus Russell (food) or went with the good ole Peyton Manning vs Ryan Leaf analogy. The only problem is that Leaf and Manning were the same year. Whereas Jordan and Bias didn’t come out of the same draft for the east comparison.

They all mean the same thing. Luck finished his college career as dominant and consistent. We still need to see Lawrence do the same (or at least complete his junior year) before this comparison even holds water. As it stands he’s just beat Alabama.

13 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Len Bias didn't flame out, he died before he ever played a game for the Celtics after getting drafted #2 overall.

I can’t make a successful argument without knowing this thread gets locked and without subverting forum rules. But simply put, flaming out has many different realizations. Some due to poor play, some due to injury, some due to improper coaching, and some due to “distractions”.

Its all the same thing. One player, Jordan kept his head enough on a swivel to be the GOAT at his sport and the other was just a hyped basketball prospect that wasn’t able to meet expectations.

While I do not wish similar circumstance to Trevor Lawrence, I’m simply acknowledging the fact that if Lawrence doesn’t live up to his freshman season FOR WHATEVER REASON then it was disrespectful to put him in the same conversation with a player who did it for 3 years.

Edit: And regardless of said reason, I’m not going to feel bad about “what might’ve been” and instead focus on the fact of “what was done”. Andrew Luck brought it for 3 years, so for Lawrence to be better I’m going to need to see either sharply better peak ability over a shorter period or similar, but better, prime ability over a similar period of time (3 years).

Edited by diamondbull424

As of right now, it's Luck.  Lawrence is awesome, but Luck had every physical trait you could ever want plus was the most cerebral QB since Peyton.  Not saying Lawrence is anything close to stupid, but I don't consider him at the mental level Luck was coming out.

That said, Lawrence could definitely get there.  

• Like 1