Is Chase Daniel cause for concern?

soulman

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Especially since he was an UFA...

I don't think younger, cheaper, AND better is a likely scenario. But younger, cheaper, and with more upside is a definite possibility.

Seriously, people were talking about cutting one of a few guys to get a 4th round pick, so obviously they trust Pace's judgement on draft picks, but don't think he could find a system QB to groom? Daniel was undrafted, Fitz was 7th, Mullens was undrafted, Hoyer was undrafted, McCarron was in the 5th, Keenum was undrafted, Tyrod Taylor was undrafted, etc. Starting QBs are obviously usually picked in the top two rounds but depth guys can be found later. Just as Pace has done repeatedly he drafts on upside, traits, and how coachable they are (usually a sign through leadership roles as well) and then try to train them up. Worked wonderfully for Cohen, Jackson and several others, failed for Shaheen (it seems) and a number of others.

But if you have a HC that is a QB, and OC that works with athletic QBs, and a QB coach in Ragone that is getting respect.... why the hell wouldn't you want to take a swing to see if you can develop? I would have been fine with Eason Stick, Minshrew, or Tyree Jackson in the 7th. If you don't believe in those guys then don't take the swing but even if you miss you never get fired for missing on a 5th round pick. Especially since there isn't a single of the 22 base positions with a good hit rate that late in the draft.

Draft a kid you like the upside on, keep a vet that has some real game experience for 1-2 years and then trust that your coaching staff develops your 3rd string QB in those 2 years. You aren't looking for a starter, just a guy who runs the system similarly to the starting QB and can keep from blowing the game for you.

I agree with all of that and that is really what I was saying. I should have worded it better like you instead of saying better. 

• Like 1

If NYG moves on from Lauletta after drafting Jones I’d be all for putting a waiver claim on him or maybe even swing a trade for a conditional pick based around him being active for X games to get him ahead of waivers. It would create a further crunch at the bottom of the roster elsewhere because we’d have to put him on the 53 but it would also potentially get us that developmental #2 for going forward. 

Doesn’t have to be Lauletta either - other teams will be cutting the guys from this year we are talking about drafting next year with hopes of stashing them on their own PS. We can poach any of those guys and get them without having to invest the draft capital provided that we are willing to allocate them a spot on the 53. I like that better than using a pick personally. 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 3

If we’re open to finding that young guy getting cut elsewhere and making a spot on the 53 for him this year with eyes toward him being developed as our future #2 the guys (not all of whom I expect to be cut) I’d be interested in seeing us target are, in no order:

Kyle Lauletta

Jarrett Stidham

Easton Stick

Clayton Thorson

Kyle Allen

Davis Webb

CJ Beathard 

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

If NYG moves on from Lauletta after drafting Jones I’d be all for putting a waiver claim on him or maybe even swing a trade for a conditional pick based around him being active for X games to get him ahead of waivers. It would create a further crunch at the bottom of the roster elsewhere because we’d have to put him on the 53 but it would also potentially get us that developmental #2 for going forward. 

Doesn’t have to be Lauletta either - other teams will be cutting the guys from this year we are talking about drafting next year with hopes of stashing them on their own PS. We can poach any of those guys and get them without having to invest the draft capital provided that we are willing to allocate them a spot on the 53. I like that better than using a pick personally. 

Thats some real forward thinking.

I don't think they do it though. There is loyalty and relationships that is clouding judgment in a few cases.  Problem with being human and not cold like Belichick.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Sugashane said:

But if you have a HC that is a QB, and OC that works with athletic QBs, and a QB coach in Ragone that is getting respect.... why the hell wouldn't you want to take a swing to see if you can develop? I would have been fine with Eason Stick, Minshrew, or Tyree Jackson in the 7th. 

Too soon for that type of thinking. Look at who Pace went after in the seventh. He was still trying to address pressing needs. 

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Lauletta is intriguing. I''m not certain who might else shake lose. 

Edited by Heinz D.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Too soon for that type of thinking. Look at who Pace went after in the seventh. He was still trying to address pressing needs. 

Idk, Kicker was a pressing need, but a 2019 PS CB wasn't. I like Denmark's physical profile but he likely won't see a snap on defense this year. He played 1 year at CB in college and at a D-II program. To me that screams Pace's desire for upside, not for a pressing need. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Idk, Kicker was a pressing need, but a 2019 PS CB wasn't. I like Denmark's physical profile but he likely won't see a snap on defense this year. He played 1 year at CB in college and at a D-II program. To me that screams Pace's desire for upside, not for a pressing need. 

He'd already traded for Pineiro? O.o 

22 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

He'd already traded for Pineiro? O.o 

He traded for Pineiro after the draft

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If we’re open to finding that young guy getting cut elsewhere and making a spot on the 53 for him this year with eyes toward him being developed as our future #2 the guys (not all of whom I expect to be cut) I’d be interested in seeing us target are, in no order:

Kyle Lauletta

Jarrett Stidham

Easton Stick

Clayton Thorson

Kyle Allen

Davis Webb

CJ Beathard 

The chances that Stidham is released is about 0.0%

I'd be a big fan of a Kyle Allen claim

Edited by beardown3231

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The chances that Stidham is released is about 0.0%

I agree he’s probably the least likely guy on my list to hit the waiver wire and prefaced my list with that not all of the guys I listed would actually become available. Re: Stidham I only listed him because he’s probably their #3 and I didn’t know their roster well enough to know whether they’d have the ability to roster a 3rd QB out of the gate. 

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Didn't see the game so fill me in.  Did Bray show enough tonight to feel like the guy has any possibility at all of becoming a #2 NFL QB?

Exactly enough against the 3s to guarantee that if Mitch throws a pick in game 3 some guy from Joliet is going go on facebook and demand they start Bray

• Like 1

19 hours ago, blkwdw13 said:

No he wasn't, Pace traded for Pineiro well after the draft happened.

19 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

He traded for Pineiro after the draft

Mixed up, then. Won't be the last time. But whatever--Pace clearly had other options outside the draft in mind. 

• Like 1