TNF: Chiefs vs. Patriots (Opening Day!!!)

TheVillain112

Poll  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Patriots
    • Chiefs

I can't see NE losing this opening game. KC is a very nice team and there are scenarios and there is a chance KC could win but I just don't see it in week one. BB will be well prepared. It's at home. They will be excited but they will be in control. I think KC keeps it close but I'd say NE 28-21 or something like that. 

16 hours ago, PFM18 said:

Think the Chiefs are good enough to keep it close, but ultimately New England will take the win. 

And Heath Evans shows again that he's there for the reaction, not the analysis. 

What did Heath Evans do?

Just now, iothar said:

What did Heath Evans do?

A lot of gear, by the looks of it.

Anyway, my keys to beating Kansas City (who I really rate, by the way);

• Slow down the Chiefs rushing game to put them behind down and distance, they can force Alex Smith to throw well short of the sticks then make the tackle to force punts.
  • Turn this into a 7-on-7 game with the quick passing game against the Chiefs should they play off-coverage.
  • Meaning we should get the ball in space to our shifty receivers and force the Chiefs to make 1-on-1 open field tackles; make it a a YAC-fest.

14 minutes ago, iothar said:

I think the Patriots running backs are the key to the game. Knicking the pass rush as it comes in and providing matchups Lbs can't cover. You put out Burkhead and Gronk with Cooks and who covers who?

That's the conundrum when playing NE. How do you deal with the mismatches? Can't cover Gronk with a linebacker or a DB, can't cover fast backs with a linebacker, can't cover the shifty receivers with anything but a DB, need to respect the RB in the passing game. Just so many things to worry about. Come out with 5 or 6 DBs, then we hand off up the middle etc. 

I think KC do as good a job as anyone though. They will move the ball against us, and keep our O off the field as much as possible. 

21 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think the game stays close in the first half but New England pulls away in the second half.

New England lost Rivers for the year and already cut Kony Early. They have Trey Flowers, but beyond him, what other pass rushers do they have?

Patriots rarely have your prototypical "pass rusher" that most fans think a la the Julius Peppers type of player. Their ends focus on containment and setting the edge more so than actually getting to the QB.

But to answer your question, like you said, Flowers is their guy. He's special in the sense that they can kick him inside to generate a rush or outside. Lawrence Guy is another one who I think will play a role like that.

I think they'll get more creative and innovative in their ways of generating a pressure. Hightower rushing, Van Noy rushing, etc. They'll primarily use 5 man fronts with 3 DL's and 2 OLBs, I think.

Archived