GDT: Preseason Week 4: Titans at Bears

malagabears

My FFB draft is during this game so my interest will be minimal. Good kicks and no injuries. 

Since it’s a home game I wonder if we don’t trot Mitch out there again for the first series to hand off 3x just for a token appearance for the home fans like we did in PS week 1. 

"Working" from home on Friday so will stick the replay of this on while I do. Literally just here for the FGs. Though with Nagy's attitude towards pre-season, I wouldn't be surprised if he trots Chris Tabor out there to kick a few.

I have a feeling most of those decisions have been made.

Guys who have the inside track will be judged on whether or not they hold on vs lose by regressing.  The problem for us is we don't truly know in all cases who does have the inside track other than by educated guess.

Further complicating things are how many players do we keep at certain positions?  However ILB, OLB, and OT are relatively simple.

OT: If I'm Pace I'm looking at the cut down lists for help.  Clemmings is out, Lucas needs to go, and Coward is injured with no estimate given yet as to his availability.  Bars will play OT against Tenn. but we can't go into an opener that thin at OT using an UDFA meant to play OG as our only reserve OT.  Hang out a "Help Wanted" sign.

ILB: Kwit will stick.  What he lacks in speed and coverage skills he makes up for around the LOS and on ST.  Let's just hope we don't have to play him on defense that often.  Iggy finally surged a bit last game and he can blitz and cover.  If protected better he may fix some of us run stopping issues as the season progresses.  He's also a draft pick which to me means he has a slight edge over Woods.

Woods is then a coin flip with Iggy and also with Pierre-Louis if we keep a 5th ILB which because Pierre-Louis and Iggy have pro ST experience we may but again we're gonna be hoping neither has to play much.  I have a tendency to believe Pagano and Pace will want to keep a guy with some upside over the topped out vet but that's only a wild *** guess.  Tough call but one will also end up on the PS.

OLB: To be honest I don't know how you can't keep Vaughters.  The kid is a high effort playmaker you can spot as an edge rusher and that is what we really need more than anything.  Lynch is getting healthy again so he'll be back in the rotation soon and like Kwit I'd say he's a lock due to experience.  Coin flip over Irving vs Fitts.  Buh bye Kylie Fitts.  No ascension seen whatsoever.

Edited by soulman

Bars is making it regardless I think.  I think he is high potential and a starting caliber NFL OL, not good for this year, but future.  I think the scarcity of those guys means another team grabs him off waivers if put there.  

Most interesting thing to me is if Vaughters forces his way onto team.  I don't think he was in any kind of plan.  I think Lynch got a free ride to team that maybe he didn't deserve.   

If they end up keeping Bullard I will be disappointed.  He has been hot garbage and has certainly regressed.  

I think 4 TEs are set because Nagy backed Sowell again in press yesterday.  I don't know that that experiment will pan out.  Probably not.  Almost certainly not in 2019.   They keep a number of PS guys at position one of which will probably see game timer at least activation in 2019 due to injury.  I think Nagy screwed up not going after a FA TE in Uzomah. 

Edited by dll2000

29 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Bars is making it regardless I think.  I think he is high potential and a starting caliber NFL OL, not good for this year, but future.  I think the scarcity of those guys means another team grabs him off waivers if put there.  

Most interesting thing to me is if Vaughters forces his way onto team.  I don't think he was in any kind of plan.  I think Lynch got a free ride to team that maybe he didn't deserve.   

If they end up keeping Bullard I will be disappointed.  He has been hot garbage and has certainly regressed.  

I think 4 TEs are set because Nagy backed Sowell again in press yesterday.  I don't know that that experiment will pan out.  Probably not.  Almost certainly not in 2019.   They keep a number of PS guys at position one of which will probably see game timer at least activation in 2019 due to injury.  I think Nagy screwed up not going after a FA TE in Uzomah. 

I do think there will be some veteran options for a bottom of the depth chart vet available here in the next week should they decide that necessary. We’re talking about a position potentially not even active on Sundays though so I don’t know that it’s a huge “screw up” per se.

I think if Nagy was as worried about it as fans seem to be that Pace would have done more to address the situation. The two are very much in lock step, and Pace seldom if ever just ignores an area where improvement can happen. The widespread assumption is that the passing capable TE has to be a staple of Nagy's offense but reality may very well be that it was that way in KC because he had an all-world TE and last year because Burton was better than the other options in Bellamy, White, etc. If a Burton injury means more 4WR sets instead of 3WR/1TE sets with AR or Wims running Burton’s routes to an apparent matchup advantage for us then so be it. Burton doesn’t really block anyway so the impact on the running game would be less than people probably think too. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I'm thinking the same with Sowell on the roster and Bunting on the PS learning the offense and where he could be elevated if the Sowell experiment fails.

Same with Bullard.  I'd much rather see his snaps given to Williams and RRH and let Nichols play more.

Bars is a lock.

Vaughters should make it but then he would also be easy enough to put on the PS.  I don't see him as a high profile waivers guy.

51 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Why would Uzomah come here to be the 3rd TE?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I do think there will be some veteran options for a bottom of the depth chart vet available here in the next week should they decide that necessary. We’re talking about a position potentially not even active on Sundays though so I don’t know that it’s a huge “screw up” per se.

I think if Nagy was as worried about it as fans seem to be that Pace would have done more to address the situation. The two are very much in lock step, and Pace seldom if ever just ignores an area where improvement can happen. The widespread assumption is that the passing capable TE has to be a staple of Nagy's offense but reality may very well be that it was that way in KC because he had an all-world TE and last year because Burton was better than the other options in Bellamy, White, etc. If a Burton injury means more 4WR sets instead of 3WR/1TE sets with AR or Wims running Burton’s routes to an apparent matchup advantage for us then so be it. Burton doesn’t really block anyway so the impact on the running game would be less than people probably think too. 

You are right I am probably overreacting to a presumed Shaheen and Burton absence which hasn't happened.

I do think you need a TE who can throw a decent wham block for their staple IZ plays.  I don't think they can run the ball effectively consistently from 4 or 5 WR.