Redskins have 10th most cap space in NFL

turtle28

12 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

Hope you're not harping on the Landon Collins signing.

I think he will become the best FA signing since Fletcher.

Collins is actually a Redskins fan. Wanted us to draft him.

Not to mention, he was sorely needed back there for us.

We set the record for signing a safety and defensive back at the time for a player who doesn't revolutionize a defense.  You sign someone for that kind of contract, you are expecting a shutdown corner like Patrick Peterson, or a pass-rushing expert who is going to get upwards of 15 sacks a year and commands double teams.  Someone who is looked at and commands a gameplan revolve around shutting them out.  

If you can convince me that Landon Collins is that kind of player, be my guest.  But the short answer is, he's not.  And the Redskins did not need a box safety, they needed coverage help in the worst way, and with the state of the safeties and ILBs, TE's and RB's are going to kill us in the passing game again.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

We set the record for signing a safety and defensive back at the time for a player who doesn't revolutionize a defense.  You sign someone for that kind of contract, you are expecting a shutdown corner like Patrick Peterson, or a pass-rushing expert who is going to get upwards of 15 sacks a year and commands double teams.  Someone who is looked at and commands a gameplan revolve around shutting them out.  

If you can convince me that Landon Collins is that kind of player, be my guest.  But the short answer is, he's not.  And the Redskins did not need a box safety, they needed coverage help in the worst way, and with the state of the safeties and ILBs, TE's and RB's are going to kill us in the passing game again.  

Collins is good at covering the flats and around the box, he's not good as a deep single high safey, so I think he's going to do well for us vs the run and help w/ TEs & RBs. He's also an elite tackler, which is really needed on this defense. Too many missed tackles in this since Sean died.

Edited by turtle28

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2019 at 11:35 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

SS’s cover TEs & RBs, correct? 

Witten and Ertz just had their two worst career games against the Redskins in their careers thanks to Landon Collins, Holcomb & SDH as WILBs.

The fact that we didn’t hear their names a lot & Collins’ name bc of blown coverages or them being wide open a lot in weeks one & two - if we would have it would have been for a big mistake or a big turnover - but still, that’s a positive.

Neither Sproles or Elliot killed us in the passing game and they usually do, that’s bc of Collins and probably Holcomb &  SDH at WILB.

I don’t know how it can’t be seen any other way. We signed Collins in part to stop RBs & TEs killing us and so far it seems he’s has helped do that.

Nicholson has been fine at FS - he had an int of a tipped ball which set up our offense for a TD - it’s our corners who have effed up and blown assignments & our front 4/5 hasn’t gotten pressure.

Norman honestly does his own thing in coverage and freelances while everyone else plays the D that the coordinator calls, he’s done it since he got here and it affects the entire defense. Moreland is a rookie who’s made a few plays but also made a few rookie mistakes like when either he or Dunny were supposed to be deep 3rd but didn’t do what they were supposed to and DJax got his second 50-yd TD score in week 1.

The corners have been an issue, not the safeties. Hopefully, that improves when Dunny & Fabs come back. I heard Fabs should play Monday, but Dunny May miss his 2nd game.

Edited by turtle28