Lions cut RB Zach Zenner

TheKillerNacho

I've never seen him in action, but everyone loves him as a "try hard" guy and a preseason darling. He seems willing to do the dirty work on ST as well.

He actually seems like a BOB guy, and the Texans have a huge need at the position...so I can see the Texans claiming him off of waivers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I've never seen him in action, but everyone loves him as a "try hard" guy and a preseason darling. He seems willing to do the dirty work on ST as well.

He actually seems like a BOB guy, and the Texans have a huge need at the position...so I can see the Texans claiming him off of waivers.

When I saw that they released him, that was actually the first spot I thought of. He does somewhat in the passing game, not the best routes but can make plays in space. He's pretty tough to bring down and keeps his feet churning. He's not a flashy guy by any means and won't outrun a lot of people, but he is a tough runner who is fairly difficult to bring down. 

I think he was on the outside looking in because the rookie Ty Johnson IMO offers more in the passing game than what he does. 

1 minute ago, theuntouchable said:

When I saw that they released him, that was actually the first spot I thought of. He does somewhat in the passing game, not the best routes but can make plays in space. He's pretty tough to bring down and keeps his feet churning. He's not a flashy guy by any means and won't outrun a lot of people, but he is a tough runner who is fairly difficult to bring down. 

I think he was on the outside looking in because the rookie Ty Johnson IMO offers more in the passing game than what he does. 

I think the big test will be his pass protection abilities - the Texans have Duke Johnson as the pass catcher, so the guy brought in needs to be able to take about 5-10 carries a game as well as stick in and pick up the blitz on passing downs.

If Zenner is adequate in picking up the blitz and providing an extra blocker inside the pocket, he'll have a home in Houston.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I think the big test will be his pass protection abilities - the Texans have Duke Johnson as the pass catcher, so the guy brought in needs to be able to take about 5-10 carries a game as well as stick in and pick up the blitz on passing downs.

If Zenner is adequate in picking up the blitz and providing an extra blocker inside the pocket, he'll have a home in Houston.

I think that is actually the type of capacity that he would fit best. He works well as a complimentary back. He had a few missed assignments with pass pro, but overall I would say he does pretty decent with it. He's the type of guy that does well in almost every area, just doesn't excel at any one area. 

• Like 1

He could be a solid #2 if someone would give him a chance.  He's been jerked around his whole career.

Lions have had a pretty bad RB stable for the last few years, and every year, Zenner barely makes the team as RB 4/ST player.   You don't hear anything about him all season until about week 15, when all the other RBs are either hurt, or have stunk it up so bad, they have to put him in.  He'll perform at a pretty decent level and bring stability to the offense, and you're like "damn, where's this guy been all year??"  But, the next year, when training camp rolls around, yet again, Zenner is buried on the depth chart, and the cycle starts all over. 

If a team gives him an honest chance to compete, I think he can be solid.

This a terrible decision by the Lions. ZZ produces everytime he gets the change. He is a solid pass protector, plays special teams, is a no nonsense one cut RB. I hope he gets a chance somewhere else as he has not been treated fairly in Detroit and the man never complains about it. He is a SOLID #2 RB. I think he would THRIVE in Houston!

7 hours ago, ET80 said:

He had that one game. It’s all I need. Unless Houston wants to panic and give me a first for Melvin Gordon. You best get on this.