T.J. McDonald extended to 4 year, $21M contract

TheKillerNacho

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20546587/safety-tj-mcdonald-signs-four-year-24-million-extension-miami-dolphins

Interesting that we signed him to a 1-year prove it deal only to extend him before he could actually play... But I guess we were that impressed with him. The contract really isn't that bad either.

He's suspended for the first eight games this season though, and another violation could end his career. Gotta believe we put verbage in this contract to protect us from this scenario.

34 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Gotta believe we put verbage in this contract to protect us from this scenario.

There reportedly is.

20 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

This contract could be a STEAL over the next few seasons.

It could also be our FO jumping the gun before a guy takes a regular-season snap. We will find out later this season.

Jarvis Landry is watching all these other guys get paid. Branch, McDonald, Stills. So far he's been a trooper.

18 hours ago, cddolphin said:

There reportedly is.

It could also be our FO jumping the gun before a guy takes a regular-season snap. We will find out later this season.

Jarvis Landry is watching all these other guys get paid. Branch, McDonald, Stills. So far he's been a trooper.

Jarvis has no other choice

he'll just take it out when it comes round to next negotiations and he says thanks but no thanks

15 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Fins currently have $1.8m in cap space. (Over the Cap has them with $3.1m).

Current 2018 cap space is $9.7m, assuming modest cap increase let's call it $16m.

The current WR tag is for $15.7m.

I am assuming we make at least a few moves to clear up space. Obviously the tag would just be to either trade or get him locked up long-term, and not to play under.

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

I am assuming we make at least a few moves to clear up space.

possible cuts:

Ryan Tannehill for $15.2m - I think this would be a mistake and a restructure would be unlikely
Byron Maxwell for $10m - Lippett / Howard were the heirs apparent, that's a little murkier now, I still think Maxwell is a virtual lock to get cut
Ja'Wuan James for $9.3m - he's a good not great RT but has a high floor of play, might not be a good idea to add hole to o-line
Julius Thomas for $6.6m - After watching his preseason I'm very pessimistic
Mike Pouncey for $7m - He needs to play 13+ games this season
Cameron Wake for $8.1m - seems like blasphemy but there's a chance he retires, would be 36 at start of next year, restructure?

signficant snap guys that will be FAs and may need re-signing, these are mostly depth guys and special teamers:

William Hayes
Nate Allen
Jermon Bushrod
Alterraun Verner
Anthony Fasano
Michael Thomas
Anthony Steen
Mike Hull
Terrence Fede
Walt Aikens

• 2 months later...

Archived