Green Bay Packers Preview

dll2000

I have some early thoughts I have to get out of my head.   

I have no idea what line is, but I would consider a Packer win as an upset as I believe Bears are better football team.  That being said, I think an upset by Packers is entirely possible.  I don't expect it, but I would not be shocked by it.  

So let's start with the bad thoughts:

First games are always worrisome.  You see the most skewed results in a first game and it really doesn't tell the story of a team on either side.  Why?; Rust or not gelled yet, surprise and preparation time.  First games of season and College Bowl games are historical upset games.   There is just a huge difference between 3 days prep/practice time with a ton of in season film on a team against having 30 days plus to prepare a multitude of surprises you don't see coming.

Second, division rivals are always worrisome.  Coaches know players strengths and weaknesses and players know players strength and weaknesses.  Division games are always ripe for upsets.

Third, a good veteran QB is a often a bad match up for a blitzing aggressive DC. If Rodgers can read the blitz and get the ball off on time we can see some long passing TDs with no one to stop them.  Long TDs can win ball games and are really difficult to over come.

Fourth, I feel like fans are so invested in this team and this rivalry that a first game loss would be devastating to our fans/media psyche and that may spill onto the team.  We have to remember in worse case scenario it's just one game and move on without freaking out - But we will still freak out if we lose.   

Fifth, I think we are going to see some over throws because of massive adrenaline.  We have to hope they don't result in turnovers.  

Good thoughts:

Rodgers really wants to hold ball and he just isn't going to be able to do that against this defense.  Lafleur really wants to run the ball this year and I don't think he is going to be able to do that either.  If he tries to stay with the run against Rodgers wishes there could be a schism between them.  If they struggle, and Rodgers can't call plays he wants or audible to a play of his choosing there could be a schism.  This is the hope and a very real possibility.  

This is a new offense for this group and can't be humming on all cylinders yet.  New offenses are easier to learn for veteran QBs, but they are still new and other players have to learn it as well.  

We are at home and will be pumped and playing at playoff intensity.  I think our defense is like a pack of starved dogs right now.   They want this game to played now.  If referees aren't throwing stupid 'emphasis' flags this could turn into a '85 style route. 

I think their defense is improved, but so is our offense.  I think we can move the ball and score on these guys where we really couldn't last year in first game sans the scripted and practiced first drive which is what allowed the big come back.  We just kept giving the ball back.   I think a large part of that was the  last minute injury to Shaheen which threw out what they had practiced and fact that their defense was a lot better early in the year than it was later in year.  Packers D kind of fell apart after MN game for whatever reason.  That game really damaged their psyche.

Now if you shut down one thing, we have another thing that can hurt you.  You couldn't say that last year often.  We are balanced offensively.  We can run RB option routes with more than just Cohen which everyone knew was coming.  Those option routes set up rest of offense.   ARob is ready to reintroduce himself to NFL as one of its top players.   

Bottom line:

This is a game we should and most probably will win.  We might not because of factors above and we can't be jumping off bridges if we don't.  I think in long run if we don't flip out we will still be much better team in 2019.  

If we do win we can ride high on the momentum and party like its 1999.

Edited by dll2000
typos
  • Like 2

Bears vs Packers games are typically a toss up most years anyway.  Unless of course you have a team like Trestman produced.

Ordinarily I'd give some edge to Rodgers here being the vet that he is but two factors weigh against it.

1) He's playing in a new scheme he may master quickly but will everyone else?

2) He's played the Bears defense but not this Bears defense.  How much differently will Pagano play him than Fangio did?

IMHO there may be just enough uncertainty on their side all the way around to give us an edge.

It's tough to judge the offense just yet since Mitch's camp was pretty schitzy and we have zero preseason series to go on but I believe the defense has been licking it's chops over this one ever since the schedule came out.  They want at Rodgers as often as possible.

My take is we avoid giving up big plays on defense and Mitch can play well enough to put at least 24 points up we win.

Edited by soulman

20 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I actually think Green Bay is going to win. I think the Bears start 0-2 and then win the next 5.

You need to whip yourself for next 7 days.

If Bears win add another 3.

If they lose add another 7.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I actually think Green Bay is going to win. I think the Bears start 0-2 and then win the next 5.

I think the Bears need to jump on GB and Denver in coaching transition.  I know its division and first game and playing in altitiude in Sept. is a *****, but first game is at home, Bears are simply better than Denver and Washington.  

A 3-0 start provides a cushion and momentum for rest of season.

I also think too many people are waiting to be naysayers and told you so's.  They will pile on any early Bears losses like flies on poop.

• Like 2

The uncertainties I think are a wash here - we won’t know their offense as well as usual and they won’t know our defense as well as usual. From there it comes down to players, and IMO we have the superior roster by a decent stretch. 

This is a game we should win. If we don’t it won’t be the end of the world many will make it out to be (it certainly wasn’t last year and we lost in catastrophic all-time awful fashion). I’m seeing 27-20 Bears. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

The uncertainties I think are a wash here - we won’t know their offense as well as usual and they won’t know our defense as well as usual. From there it comes down to players, and IMO we have the superior roster by a decent stretch. 

This is a game we should win. If we don’t it won’t be the end of the world many will make it out to be (it certainly wasn’t last year and we lost in catastrophic all-time awful fashion). I’m seeing 27-20 Bears. 

Last year game 1 was awful.   Important lesson there though.  An awful early loss isn't end of world.

Actually we kind of book ended the season with awful beyond the pale devastating losses that took some time to recover from.

But in hindsight it was an enjoyable and fun year overall.  Something to remember as we live and die with every play or mistake.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2019 at 2:14 PM, dafreak said:

Blasphemy. 

I obviously hope to be wrong. I just have this odd gut feeling

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I think the Bears need to jump on GB and Denver in coaching transition.  I know its division and first game and playing in altitiude in Sept. is a *****, but first game is at home, Bears are simply better than Denver and Washington.  

A 3-0 start provides a cushion and momentum for rest of season.

I also think too many people are waiting to be naysayers and told you so's.  They will pile on any early Bears losses like flies on poop.

That, and Denver's D is a nightmare. I can see that being a 13-10 type game.

Our offense, the running game in particular, AND STs will be substantially better. I think the addition of Patterson returning kicks (Hester-lite) will be HUGE ....and help to ensure wins.

We've added a big time running-game and the League's best KR to a 12-4 team ...sky is limit as long as injuries do not wipe us out. 

Wait .. Is Summers starting at ILB?

If so this needs to be the Cohen and Montgormery and Burton catching the ball show.

This is possibly worse than Kwit in coverage.  There is no way. 

They will have to go Nickel or big nickel whole game.  

21 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I obviously hope to be wrong. I just have this odd gut feeling

That, and Denver's D is a nightmare. I can see that being a 13-10 type game.

I was just looking at Denvers roster.  Yeah Von Miller and Chubb are studs, but that roster is full of holes.

We are much, much better team top to bottom.  Their only hope for victory is altitude fatigue.