2020 Draft Thread

beardown3231

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Right now I would like to hit the OL hard in the draft.

We know 10 is not elite, and this OL is not good enough to support him. They need an OL like Baltimore, Dallas, LAR.

If Mitch doesn't improve then spending draft picks on the OL is not going to help things.  

Besides, the OL was good last year and we're only 3 games into the season. Give it chance before falling of a cliff.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

If Mitch doesn't improve then spending draft picks on the OL is not going to help things.  

Besides, the OL was good last year and we're only 3 games into the season. Give it chance before falling of a cliff.

I would disagree on that. We've seen the reliance on dump offs and early reads because of the lack of faith in the OL. If he has more time he can execute better. If he isn't a really good starter long term then you want to replace him and put the new kid in a better position with a good OL too. The OL is a big reason for Dak being able to have a good season (weak first quarter schedule and other talents also helping a great deal).

That being said OL should be getting 1-2 new bodies every year. 1 draft pick and a FA or something, and I'm including on the practice squad. Right now we definitely have time to see improvement from them but Long is done so we know there is a hole there. It needs addressed and I wouldn't be disappointed to see them try a pair of guys and let them rotate drives. All the other 4 deserve more time. 

HH needs let go if there isn't major improvement. The OL is a did group of talents and has been underachieving to a startling degree. If he can't right the ship then someone else needs to have the chance. 

• Like 1

I don't necessarily disagree with this. I was talking about Windy's idea of "hitting the draft hard" -- which I take it as Pace using about 3 picks on OL, which we can't afford to do imo.

Of course, we need to find Long's replacement but I would be livid if we used one of our 2nd rounders on a Gaurd. If Pace wants to use a late mid round AND look at free agency I would be fine with that.

If Mitch doesn't work out then my ideal draft pick usage would go something like this:

Early 2nd rd (Raiders) = QB (or package a deal to move up the 1st)
Late 2nd rd = TE/WR 
5th rd = OG
5th (Philly) = Edge (deep class)
5th rd conditional (Raiders) = CB (deep class)
6th rd = WR
7th rd = OL

^^Or if Davis doesn't start to come around and Nagy feels like he's useless then I would like to see him get released so we could get a 4th rnd comp for Amos.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BearDownTexas said:

Look how cutler did when he came here with absolutely no offensive line and only greg olsen to throw to. I'd much rather upgrade our offensive line and build up the rest of the offense and roll with a middle of the road quarterback 

Well Cutler did suck from college all the way til he retired. He's this eras Trent Dilfer. The hands down worst QB to keep a starting job for so long. 

4 hours ago, malak1 said:

Oakland’s second for Gardner Minshew. Who says no?

I'm against it too. DeFilippo has done an awesome job making the game more simple for him, and he is doing well but I think this is going to come to a halt sooner rather than later. He is a rookie who would have to learn a new system on the fly and try to build rapport with his WRs. I'd rather use the 2nd to go after another QB than try to gamble it on someone here. I think he is far better than his draft round indicated but worth a 2nd? I just don't see it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

^^Or if Davis doesn't start to come around and Nagy feels like he's useless then I would like to see him get released so we could get a 4th rnd comp for Amos.

This is a point that needs talked about more. Davis had 4 rushes the last 2 weeks and 9 in 3 games. He isn't being utilized, and the few times he has I have not seen anything worth noting.

At this point I rather cut him, sign Nall up from the practice squad, and keep using Patterson as the #3 option. Get that 4th back and save some money, because Chicago is getting nothing out of Davis so far.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I'm against it too. DeFilippo has done an awesome job making the game more simple for him, and he is doing well but I think this is going to come to a halt sooner rather than later. He is a rookie who would have to learn a new system on the fly and try to build rapport with his WRs. I'd rather use the 2nd to go after another QB than try to gamble it on someone here. I think he is far better than his draft round indicated but worth a 2nd? I just don't see it.

Right. A 2nd for Minshew lol?! I would give my 2nd week old bread for him. You guys are too much sometimes. 

Maybe we should have went after Nick Mullens last year too.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

This is a point that needs talked about more. Davis had 4 rushes the last 2 weeks and 9 in 3 games. He isn't being utilized, and the few times he has I have not seen anything worth noting.

At this point I rather cut him, sign Nall up from the practice squad, and keep using Patterson as the #3 option. Get that 4th back and save some money, because Chicago is getting nothing out of Davis so far.

I'm not against it at all, IF Davis doesn't start to offer some value. I say IF because I wouldn't be so quick to drop Davis before we know whether or not Montgomery can stay healthy for a full season because we need 2 bruising backs in this offense until we know for SURE Montgomery is a consistent all-around back.

I like Nall but there must be a reason why the staff has not yet given him a real chance yet. He may just be another PS highlight player.

We have until week 10 to find out. If Davis is cut by the week 10 deadline then we get a 4th for Amos. So we still have time to see what the offense and Montgomery is going to look like.

Edited by JustAnotherFan