2020 Draft Thread

beardown3231

39 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Foles

Hurts

Trubisky

That would give the Bears most options short and long term.

Do you think the Bears would really have three QBs on the roster? I think at some point during training camp one of them would have to go.

Just now, Nads786 said:

Do you think the Bears would really have three QBs on the roster? I think at some point during training camp one of them would have to go.

I don't see why not just due to the QB position being a major question mark for now and the near future.

Mitch will likely still be here in 2020 as a backup worst case just due to his contract and given what we've seen to this point the team will most likely be bringing in another veteran QB to compete with Mitch next year.  As for the draft, if the value is there and one falls into their laps that they like and decide to select then I could absolutely see them keeping 3 QBs on the roster.  It's not as if other teams don't do this.

Also I think it's completely unnecessary for the Bears to have 5 active TEs on the roster right now especially considering that Bradley Sowell is one of them.  I expect that number to go down  to 4 next season.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am torn on what it should look like

2[40] QB Jake Fromm [Georgia]

2[50] OT Alex Leatherwood [Alabama]

Draft the QB to develop and build up the OL so we can run the ball while he develops.

2[40] TE Bryce Hopkins [Purdue]

Build up the offense around the veteran QB and draft a QB in 2021.

2[50] CB A.J Terrell [Clemson]

Replace Prince because he is a cap casualty and get a a non garbage TE on the roster and live with a veteran QB.

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I am torn on what it should look like

2[40] QB Jake Fromm [Georgia]

Draft the QB to develop and build up the OL so we can run the ball while he develops.

Build up the offense around the veteran QB and draft a QB in 2021.

2[50] CB A.J Terrell [Clemson]

Replace Prince because he is a cap casualty and get a a non garbage TE on the roster and live with a veteran QB.

OL , OLB or CB would be my focuses as of right now unless a QB drops that the team is very high on...i.e Fromm or Hurts.  As of now I would not trade up into the 1st for a QB due to a lack of picks.  I also don't like this TE class early on and feel there are better options available with free agency.

I feel they need to keep the two 2nds and just take the BPA's because Pace has made a habit out of trading up over the past few years which has left the team with less draft picks that on more cost controlled salaries which is needed going forward. 

This is also why he should cut Mike Davis and get that 4th round comp pick.

5 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

OL , OLB or CB would be my focuses as of right now unless a QB drops that the team is very high on...i.e Fromm or Hurts.  As of now I would not trade up into the 1st for a QB due to a lack of picks.  I also don't like this TE class early on and feel there are better options available with free agency.

I feel they need to keep the two 2nds and just take the BPA's because Pace has made a habit out of trading up over the past few years which has left the team with less draft picks that on more cost controlled salaries which is needed going forward. 

This is also why he should cut Mike Davis and get that 4th round comp pick.

What Veteran QB are you signing?

Free agent TE class is something you like?

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

What Veteran QB are you signing?

Free agent TE class is something you like?

If it were me it would be one of Dalton (if released), Eli Manning or Alex Smith (if released and healthy).  If they are going to try to continue developing Mitch, which is what it seems like will happen, then he needs a good mentor and someone who has experience.

And yes I really like the FA TE class for next offseason.  You have guys such as McDonald, Ebron, Doyle, Vernon Davis, Marcedes Lewis, Hunter Henry, Eifert, Clay and Hooper.  Those guys are all upgrades over what we have now.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

If it were me it would be one of Dalton (if released), Eli Manning or Alex Smith (if released and healthy).  If they are going to try to continue developing Mitch, which is what it seems like will happen, then he needs a good mentor and someone who has experience.

And yes I really like the FA TE class for next offseason.  You have guys such as McDonald, Ebron, Doyle, Vernon Davis, Marcedes Lewis, Hunter Henry, Eifert, Clay and Hooper.  Those guys are all upgrades over what we have now.

If Henry and Hooper stay put, the class gets a lot thinner.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

We couldn't afford them even if they hit the market.

True. Of who is there, McDonald is underused in Pitt but I still think we will be priced out. I don't think Ebron is a match for what we want to do. Doyle seems likely to stay put. Davis, Lewis, and Clay are all just guys. Eifert is intriguing but is one blade of Soldier Field grass away from IR.

1 hour ago, WindyCity said:

We couldn't afford them even if they hit the market.

But you think they can afford a Bridgewater or Foles type of contract instead?

Of course they can afford it if they really want to. If you miss on a TE it's not as bad as missing on a QB.

1 hour ago, chisoxguy7 said:

True. Of who is there, McDonald is underused in Pitt but I still think we will be priced out. I don't think Ebron is a match for what we want to do. Doyle seems likely to stay put. Davis, Lewis, and Clay are all just guys. Eifert is intriguing but is one blade of Soldier Field grass away from IR.

Doyle is a guy I like.  Smart player, a good blocker and has some pretty decent mitts.  Plus he has been coached up by Reich the last two years who has connections to Nagy through Pederson.

We need a nice compliment at TE who can take pressure off of Burton.  I like Holtz but he seems more of an inline TE and special teams guy and I'm not sure if he's actually a capable receiver.

Edited by topwop1

19 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

But you think they can afford a Bridgewater or Foles type of contract instead?

Of course they can afford it if they really want to. If you miss on a TE it's not as bad as missing on a QB.

They are signing a veteran QB that is a given.

Those are not cheap, even for mediocre ones, which means you are not spending serious money at TE where you already have an 8 million dollar player.