2019 Preseason Finale GDT Thread : We Play The Panthers... Again....

steelcurtain29

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I think Indy thinks they're fine with what they have

when Luck retired I thought they might consider a trade? Who knows if dobbs will be going there, but if he is tradeworthy, what would the steelers get for him. 

22 minutes ago, August4th said:

wish they just cut chick and red, they bring nothing to the defense..IDC how good they are on special teams when we might have something with these new guys.

I agree. I'd rather see Skipper, Tremaine Edmunds or Robert Spillaine, and honestly, Sutton Smith on the roster. Shake things up and see if anyone can break out for you 

My biggest problem with making special team locks like Tyler and Chicki is how replaceable those ST “aces” of the past feel. 

Just go back through the rosters, Anthony Madison, Robert Golden, Keyron Fox, Arnaz Battle... so on and so on. Continually replaced with the newer version.

i just can’t buy that Dirty Red is so superior that a more athletic, younger NFL hungry guy like Gilbert can’t replace him or that one more year of TM is worth a potential 4 years of Tuzar  

I like Steelers Depot as a gathering of information, but sometimes those guys drive me nuts. Can a rookie really not be a quality STer? Because...nix, Tyler, and Chicki all were rookie contributors. It’s not impossible to think these guys can be replaced.

54 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I love how everyone hates the ST only people and yet constantly praise Bill Belichick and the Pats. Their entire team is ST only and has been for the past 20 years. 

Except that's not really true. First of all, we constantly see our players that are ST only taking meaningful defensive snaps which is problematic. Furthermore more often than not, NE has had a more athletic ST unit imo.

But NE also runs a fairly unique system in that every single person fills a role that helps create the system rather than fitting a role in a system. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I love how everyone hates the ST only people and yet constantly praise Bill Belichick and the Pats. Their entire team is ST only and has been for the past 20 years. 

I don’t hate. I entirely understand their value, I just don’t think the difference between Red and Gilbert/Tuzar is as massive a gap as it is made to be. I also don’t think it’s worth losing 3-4 years of potential defensive capable people in order to retain a complete defensive liability for one more year. 

Also Bill is a god of finding the niche NFL talent and utilizing them to the best of their given abilities. It’s not about having Special teamers, it’s about building an entire unit driven by strengths and flexibilities. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Its not hating ST only guys. Its saying there are players that can do about as well if not as well but also offer more then just STs. For example, is Red who offers nothing but STs THAT much better at STs then Skipper that should keep an up an coming Pass Rusher off the roster? 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Its not hating ST only guys. Its saying there are players that can do about as well if not as well but also offer more then just STs. For example, is Red who offers nothing but STs THAT much better at STs then Skipper that should keep an up an coming Pass Rusher off the roster? 

Right, and that’s where I start my questioning. History shows we replace STers eventually, and rather flawlessly. History shows rookies can have immediate impact on STs.

So why continually write off the idea that two rookies could have an impact and that Red and Chicki are locks as limited upside and guys coming to the end of their time in Pittsburgh? 

I imagine they are both back, but I hope a real conversation is being had about the replacement level of STers. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

I do think that eli rogers getting traded maybe even in combination with a late draft pick could get us a half decent TE

I’d personally just take the pick. I’m convinced there isn’t a depth TE worth trading for.

saw luke willson was cut, but I’d still rather take our shot with Gentry. 

Edited by Dcash4