Team Experience (or lack thereof)

ochocinco4pres

I was going to start this topic sometime today, but since Ocho mentioned it in another thread, i decided to split it out and update it here.

I'll post the graphic i saw earlier unless someone beats me to it.  This team got a lot younger in a hurry.

Besides Whit, a lot of the guys we lost should help us.  Peko was done for a while, Nugent was done 2 seasons ago, Eric Winston always sucked for us, and Dansby was just ok.  When you look at the guys that are going to replace them Sims/Billings, we'll feel the youth here as Billings has shown he needs more experience, but Minter replacing Dansby helps, and Andre Smith has looked better at backup OT than Winston ever did.  Also Bulock is better than Nugent.

A lot of key contributors are more experienced now as well:  Vigil, Boyd, Erickson, Fisher, Ced, and Shawn Williams.  Also think having young pass rushers is a good thing...

Just now, ochocinco4pres said:

I agree it can help. But the lack of experience at times can hurt. Most of our special teams guys are brand new so don't be shocked if we struggle on coverage early on as these guys learn the spots. 

You always hear about how the game is so much faster at the NFL level.  I think for the first few weeks we'll see some key younger guys making some mistakes because they're trying to go too fast.  On ST's and defense primarily, i'm betting.  That's where they really got younger.

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

That's only moving 6 spots.  Not as dramatic as it sounds the way you wrote it

sorry it is probably written wrong. We were 23rd youngest in the league last year, now 3rd. So 20 spots up. Something like the average age of our team is 25 compared to (i believe) 26.4. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it clearly made a difference 

12 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

sorry it is probably written wrong. We were 23rd youngest in the league last year, now 3rd. So 20 spots up. Something like the average age of our team is 25 compared to (i believe) 26.4. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it clearly made a difference 

Yeah you worded it incorrectly at first.  The graph i posted makes it much more clear.

@INbengalfan

On 9/5/2017 at 7:31 PM, MrCincinnati said:

That's crazy, but its a good thing in the long run. They may or may not be competitive this year, but in a year or two they will be back with the rest of the playoff contenders.

I fully expect to be competitive this year. We will lose games due to inexperience at places, but we have experience in key positions across the board

9 minutes ago, ochocinco4pres said:

I fully expect to be competitive this year. We will lose games due to inexperience at places, but we have experience in key positions across the board

Looking at the field, i see mostly teams with huge flaws.  I agree they'll lose some games because of that experience, but they're going to win others because they're playing QB's like Joe Flacco, Tom Savage, Trever Simien, Blake Bortles, etc.

*Note i don't know if they actually play all those teams, just naming some random AFC teams i find uninspiring from the QB position.

Archived