NE acquires ARI OL Korey Cunningham & BAL OL Jermaine Eluemunor for 2020 late rd picks

Broncofan

A hidden key element to the Pats’ success -  Dante Scarnecchia coaching up reclamation projects from other teams and getting league average or better play from them (and yes TB12 helps but it doesn’t explain the run game blocking success).    Cunningham was a raw developmental OL pick last year for ARI - still, if Scarnecchia can get him to be a swing OL or average starter, shows how special he is.    We'll see later this season or next.

Why I figured it was worth mentioning - with David Andrews out I wonder if we see Shaq Mason move to C and this provide G depth or even a cheap starter later once Scar works his magic.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Cunningham was a raw developmental OL pick last year for ARI - still, if Scarnecchia can get him to be a swing OL or average starter, shows how special he is

well, he already started 6 games last year and was assumed as the swing tackle for this year. People thought he was good for a rookie last year. Apparently didn't take the step some assumed he would. tho he is coming off injury. I think they think they could get someone better off waivers.

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

well, he already started 6 games last year and was assumed as the swing tackle for this year. People thought he was good for a rookie last year. Apparently didn't take the step some assumed he would. tho he is coming off injury. I think they think they could get someone better off waivers.

Starting for last year’s OL is no feather in anyone’s cap - more for necessity than performance no?  

Given the switch to Kingsbury up tempo and spread O it’s not surprising some guys can’t adjust as well.  But the story where Scarnecchia turns these failed projects from other teams into useful cheap pieces has been done so many times it’s gard to bet against them.  Not that it’s a lock but even if you hit on 1/3 to 1/2 of these low cost moves like NE seems to do it changes their cap flexibility so much.   

Losing David Andrews is a massive blow - moving Mason to C and finding a serviceable G seems like their best solution. Collect cheap pieces, throw them against the wall & see if one sticks with Scar’s help.     Just a matter of who & when it seems.  

30 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Starting for last year’s OL is no feather in anyone’s cap - more for necessity than performance no?  

well yeah, but for a 7th rd pick he has already turned into a useful player. If your 7th rd pick turns into your backup swing tackle that is a win. And fans/media assumed he was going to be the backup LT/RT.

lis they either traded him because they think their 7th rd pick this year can do the job (I don't really pay attention to backup OL, so I'm just going off what other's say about them, and they say he has played well) or they think they think they could get someone better off waivers. 

the pats are less likely to get the players they want off waivers, so they have more incentive to use draft picks to get the players they want. we could get the players we want (for the most part)

Edited by 11sanchez11

15 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

well yeah, but for a 7th rd pick he has already turned into a useful player. If your 7th rd pick turns into your backup swing tackle that is a win. And fans/media assumed he was going to be the backup LT/RT.

lis they either traded him because they think their 7th rd pick this year can do the job (I don't really pay attention to backup OL, so I'm just going off what other's say about them, and they say he has played well) or they think they think they could get someone better off waivers. 

the pats are less likely to get the players they want off waivers, so they have more incentive to use draft picks to get the players they want. we could get the players we want (for the most part)

Agree if any late day 3 pick is even a swing T it’s a win.   But starting last year was more last man standing on a historically bad OL right?  That’s all I’m saying - if he was on a league average team would have he even sniffed the field?  It’s just misleading to look at 6 starts when the OL play was historically bad.  

All of that said - I suspect the Cards FO thinks the new scheme can work with other guys they brought in and may not require the traits he brings.   It’s more of a fit change that I think led to this call on their end.  

Don't mistake this as me dismissing the player - just he’s the low cost depth player a team is willing to part with that has been  the clay Scarnecchia uses to get cheap starter league-average talent.   That was my original point.  

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Given the switch to Kingsbury up tempo and spread O it’s not surprising some guys can’t adjust as well.  But the story where Scarnecchia turns these failed projects from other teams into useful cheap pieces has been done so many times it’s gard to bet against them.  Not that it’s a lock but even if you hit on 1/3 to 1/2 of these low cost moves like NE seems to do it changes their cap flexibility so much.   

Losing David Andrews is a massive blow - moving Mason to C and finding a serviceable G seems like their best solution. Collect cheap pieces, throw them against the wall & see if one sticks with Scar’s help.     Just a matter of who & when it seems.  

Why would you turn a top OG into a center? You leave him at guard. 

Plus Karras should be able to handle center. 

Edited by nextsuperstar1

13 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It's a blow but there is no need for experiments. Mason and Thuney is the top guard duo in football and you don't mess with it. Ted Karras had played very well when called upon and he now has a chance to prove his worth in a contract year. 

12 hours ago, nextsuperstar1 said:

Why would you turn a top OG into a center? You leave him at guard. 

Plus Karras should be able to handle center. 

2 hours ago, SBLIII said:

It's a blow but there is no need for experiments. Mason and Thuney is the top guard duo in football and you don't mess with it. Ted Karras had played very well when called upon and he now has a chance to prove his worth in a contract year. 

Point taken - Mason is the one guy who was thought to be a potential great NFL C coming out of college but if Karras can get the job done or not it only affects 1 spot. 

Edited by Broncofan

10 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Literally shocked we got a 4th for Eluemenor and a 6th lol that's wild

I thought it was Ravens give up Eluemenor and a 6th round pick for the Patriots 4th round pick.  So a pick swap with the Patriots going back two rounds to acquire Eluemenor.

This has been an ingenious strategy by the Patriots in recent years (maybe longer).  They trade Day 3 picks for players already in the league.  Also during the draft they trade back to acquire more picks as well.  It's a cycle that has gotten NE quality back of the roster players that can plug in if a starter goes down.  Some of them even turn into quality starters like Kyle Van Noy...

• Like 2