Final CUT

Money

I mean perhaps we just see different things in Spencer. He could be a dynamic player I suppose but he also muffed a punt early in preseason. He did alright with his receiving opportunities. All I am saying is, if they decided to play it safe at 1 position instead of taking a leap of faith, I'm good with it being at returner. 

On a side note, can you imagine our offense if we draft another quality WR next season? Good lord....

Way too much is being made of Switzer vs other potential returners.  Switzer returns punts and kicks, has good ball security, and only lost yards on 3 punt returns last year.

Also the fair catch thing....dear lord that's not a Tomlin thing.  Sure it's driven by him, but Danny Smith is the biggest reason we fair catch so many even when AB was back there (under Danny Smith we lead the league in fair catches).  Danny typically rushes 9 (hat on a hat) for a chance to get a block.  But that also means you lose more blockers to rushing and gunners are 1 on 1 vs 2 on 1 that you see from other teams.  More free tacklers + gunners with easier paths = high fair catch rate.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Sure it's driven by him, but Danny Smith is the biggest reason

I have never known a coordinator not to follow the directive of a head coach -- specifically not follow terms of what that HCs emphasis during planning and installation are. 

Things that make sense working together: Safety on the catch being an emphasis, going after the punt being the result.

Danny Smith's Washington Redskins lead ST unit had 7, 9, and 13 fair catches in his last three seasons with Washington before coming to Pittsburgh, whereas the Steelers ranked top 10 in fair catches from 2008-2013 (all But Tomlins first years as HC).  

No, Im gonna stick with its Tomlin. 

Edited by Dcash4

23 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Exactly, so he can't be criticized for Fair Catching. Which was what I was getting at (as you prolly already knew). 

Right, and you wont see any criticism of them for that from me. I don't blame the returners for fair catching balls. That's how they are being directed is my point. 

Just want to bring up returns under Danny Smith (what the steelers did while smith was in Washington):

04 - 7.9 YPPR [8.3], 20th [18th]

05 - 6.0 YPPR [10.2], 28th [3rd]

06 - 8.8 YPPR [8.4], 14th [19th]

07 - 7.5 YPPR [6.1], 26th [30th]

08 - 8.4 YPPR [6.0], 21st [31st]

09 - 4.8 YPPR [8.1], 31st [18th] 

10 - 10.8 YPPR [6.1], 10th [31st]

11 - 8.9 YPPR [10.5], 21st [13th]

12 - 9.3 YPPR [7.3], 17th [28th]

13 - 12.8, 4th

14 - 10.0 10th

15 - 8.3, 16th

16 - 8.4, 16th

17 -  6.9, 23rd

18 - 8.1, 17th

Seems as though even before his time in Pittsburgh, just punt returns alone, Danny Smith's ST units has been.....exceedingly average.

Tomlin has one flaw that drives me nuts at times and I think it can be attributed to his acceptance of ST also.

He talks a lot about Splash plays. Yeah those big momentum swinging turnovers or deep throws are awesome, but you know what's better? Quality football.

Danny Smith was brought here because he is aggressive-minded. He is always trying for the block on punts instead of giving the returner a chance.  Because that's what Tomlin wants, 'splash plays' and if he can let Danny try for them that's what he is going to do imo

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Tomlin has one flaw that drives me nuts at times and I think it can be attributed to his acceptance of ST also.

He talks a lot about Splash plays. Yeah those big momentum swinging turnovers or deep throws are awesome, but you know what's better? Quality football.

Danny Smith was brought here because he is aggressive-minded. He is always trying for the block on punts instead of giving the returner a chance.  Because that's what Tomlin wants, 'splash plays' and if he can let Danny try for them that's what he is going to do imo

Very much agreed.  And that tendency can lead to a lot of returns that go no where.  I think Tomlin's 'input' here would be telling them if the obvious return isn't there do the safe thing.  AB (and now Switz) often take returns right to the sideline and never really try to cut back, rather go OB.

• Like 1