Texans trade DE Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle for Barkevious Mingo

Steelersfan43

I just read that the Texans ate 7 million dollars to trade him to Seattle. This is officially the worst trade in NFL history. They could have simply removed the tag, let him sign somewhere else, and gotten a 3rd round comp pick next year and SPENT NOTHING (pending their other FA moves, hopefully @ET80 can tell me how many guys they signed and who else they lost because you have to actually lose more guys than you sign to be eligible).

There is precedent, when the panthers removed the tag on josh norman right before the season they received a comp pick later on. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, N4L said:

pending their other FA moves, hopefully @ET80 can tell me how many guys they signed and who else they lost because you have to actually lose more guys than you sign to be eligible

They should be eligible for a comp pick - only true FAs they signed were CB Bradley Roby (1/$10mm) and TE Daniel Fells (1/$1.5mm). Everyone else signed (S Tashaun Gipson, LT Matt Kalil) were cut from their previous contracts, so they won't factor into the comp pick calculations.

The Texans should get 3rd round comps for Tyrann Mathieu and Kareem Jackson based on the deals they signed (maybe a 4th for Jackson) and Clowney would have absolutely been in that 3rd round designation.

You're right, this trade is the unquestioned worst trade ever made. From a tactical perspective, a compensation perspective - BOB missed, in a HUGE way. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

They should be eligible for a comp pick - only true FAs they signed were CB Bradley Roby (1/$10mm) and TE Daniel Fells (1/$1.5mm). Everyone else signed (S Tashaun Gipson, LT Matt Kalil) were cut from their previous contracts, so they won't factor into the comp pick calculations.

The Texans should get 3rd round comps for Tyrann Mathieu and Kareem Jackson based on the deals they signed (maybe a 4th for Jackson) and Clowney would have absolutely been in that 3rd round designation.

You're right, this trade is the unquestioned worst trade ever made. From a tactical perspective, a compensation perspective - BOB missed, in a HUGE way. 

If it helps, realize that Seattle 3rd will be higher than the theoretical comp pick.

6 hours ago, N4L said:

I just read that the Texans ate 7 million dollars to trade him to Seattle. This is officially the worst trade in NFL history. They could have simply removed the tag, let him sign somewhere else, and gotten a 3rd round comp pick next year and SPENT NOTHING (pending their other FA moves, hopefully @ET80 can tell me how many guys they signed and who else they lost because you have to actually lose more guys than you sign to be eligible).

There is precedent, when the panthers removed the tag on josh norman right before the season they received a comp pick later on. 

ap_102120388629.jpg?w=700

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jaytrajik said:

Are you saying Jacob Martin, Barkevious Mingo, and a 2020 third-round pick will lead us to 3 superbowls while JD and the Seahawks don't pan out? 

WHAT EXACTLY ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY BUCK!!!!! 

😔😔😋

I was actually trying to defend you guys.  That was about the only picture I could find of Herschel Walker laughing.  I'm sure he is out there laughing every time someone claims there is a trade that was worse than the Vikings/Dallas trade for him. 

Well the Texans can't make a worse trade than that, right?  

-Tunsil, and Stills for 2 (1's) and a 2. 

It's like you're trick or treating and realize the next house just left the full bowl of candy unattended.

Wish my Cowboys had offered La'el Collins.   Could have got a 1st and a 5th.

Edited by SweetFancyMoses

39 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

It's like you're trick or treating and realize the next house just left the full bowl of candy unattended.

If Duke plays well there 1st pick will be a seahawks 3rd which will be mid to late. 

2 hours ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

i mean, the tunsil trade is totally mortgaging their future but at least it gives them a significant boost this season. this one on the other hand....

On 9/4/2019 at 11:32 PM, lark25 said:

How is Mingo still in the league? 

Id like his agent to get me jobs I’m underqualified for 

He has some skills as a chess piece. He's pretty good in coverage and can back up multiple spots on a defense. He's not great, but there are a lot worse players in the league.

• 1 month later...