Week 4 Preseason ARI @ DEN Gameday & Postgame Thread

Broncofan

Hogan has missed badly on 2 3rd down throws where he was way too deep - but that TD throw and his 1H where he hadn’t made mistakes with decisions probably seals his fate as the backup.   Fred Brown doesn’t have a clear path but he helped his case to find work somewhere if we cut him. 

Given it’s vs. the 2nd/3rd string D and he’s missed on 2-3 throws with tighter windows I have zero illusions on his ability to succeed vs.  regular season D’s.   But hard to see Rypien and his struggles overcome Hogan’s “established vet” status and better play this preseason (not pretty overall though ugh).

Edited by Broncofan

14 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Did he cause that fumble?

No the sack and 2 pressures before the sack.   It was Josh Watson with the hustle and heads up play.  The negative was the coverage that allowed the completion was soft.   But our ILB play esp in coverage is going to take time to fix.   

6 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

No the sack and 2 pressures before the sack.   It was Josh Watson with the hustle and heads up play.  The negative was the coverage that allowed the completion was soft.   But our ILB play esp in coverage is going to take time to fix.   

Think Watson has a shot to make the team? 

I'm curious to see how many of these double digit roster spots actually go towards players in this last game. 

I know they're tight against the cap, but the front office should be scouring the league for talent to cultivate. If a guy isn't showing flashes of ability you have to find players from other rosters too cultivate even if you're not giving up assets.

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Think Watson has a shot to make the team? 

I'm curious to see how many of these double digit roster spots actually go towards players in this last game. 

I know they're tight against the cap, but the front office should be scouring the league for talent to cultivate. If a guy isn't showing flashes of ability you have to find players from other rosters too cultivate even if you're not giving up assets.

I think Watson is auditioning for other teams or the PS. 

Mike Klis and entire Broncos PR arm makes me sick. There’s Klis in the booth talking about what a great day it is for Ellis & Co and then, literally, lists 5 AFC west championships and a two Super Bowls like Ellis had ANYTHING to do with any of that. 

Why not, even just to be able to look yourself in the mirror at the end of the night, mention the Josh McDaniels and Vance Jospeh hires, which he (Ellis) championed. Or how about sweeping Matt Russell’s shenanigans under the rug? The fact the team hasn’t won without Peyton? No, just a mention from Klis about how great Ellis has been. How about how the fact that the team can’t find a naming rights partner or how they sell the naming rights to training camp, let me repeat that, the team sells the naming rights to TRAINING CAMP but can’t find someone to put their name on the stadium? 

What a joke. What an embarrassment. 

What I would really like would to be give Klis a truth serum injection and find out what he REALLY knows and what he REALLY thinks about the franchise. It makes me sick he gets called a reporter and classifies himself as such. What’s just as troublesome, if not more, is that 90% of the dip**** saps watching the Broncos game tonight on “9news” don’t question it. And Ellis knows that. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican
  • Like 1

Well Hollins was a holy terror on the drive at the 2 min warning.  Forced a punt.   Den 3-and-out where Hogan’s limitations showed up.   Back to ARI. 

Then Cravens made a play that may have saved his roster spot.  Gave up the catch to Caleb Wilson but ripped the ball out and it’s a TO.   Big for him.  

Hogan ends the 1H with a pick on a Hail Mary.   That won’t get dinged on him (nor should it) - but his limitations are there to see.   The earlier pick was a tip play - but not seeing the Mike sitting down was the mistake (right on cue after saying he had avoided major decision making mistakes).   Doubt Rypien will do enough to overcome the gap but another vet backup could get a look.   Guess we will see. 

Edited by Broncofan

Rypien made a nice throw to Benson to convert 3rd and 12 (albeit a bit of rainbow quality).  But on 3rd and 7 threw behind to Winfree, who tipped it to the S and INT.  

Winfree gets dinged as you have to make that play let alone tip it for a pick.   But the poor placement is on Rypien there as well.  

Man Elway would be wasting an IR return spot and 4th RB spot on Theo Riddick.   Give Khalfani Muhammad a shot.  Even if he fails he’s cost controlled for 4 years and offers 2020+ hope.   We have to keep Booker and let him walk after this year - so tying up 2 RB spots on 2 1-year guys with no future is such a bad move.  Klis already projects Riddick to IR-return in the 1H and Elway confirmed in the booth interview.  Ugh. 

24 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Man Elway would be wasting an IR return spot and 4th RB spot on Theo Riddick.   Give Khalfani Muhammad a shot.  Even if he fails he’s cost controlled for 4 years and offers 2020+ hope.   We have to keep Booker and let him walk after this year - so tying up 2 RB spots on 2 1-year guys with no future is such a bad move.  Klis already projects Riddick to IR-return in the 1H and Elway confirmed in the booth interview.  Ugh. 

That makes absolutely no sense.