Week 4 Preseason ARI @ DEN Gameday & Postgame Thread

Broncofan

10 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That makes absolutely no sense.

Why?  Klis was the booth for the 1H and gave his roster projections including Riddick on the 53-man roster then IR-return.  Elway was asked later on Riddick in the booth in the 2H and confirmed they’re leaning that way.  

Hopefully Muhammad’s tape gives them second thoughts.  Otherwise...ugh. 

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Why?  Klis was the booth for the 1H and gave his roster projections including Riddick on the 53-man roster then IR-return.  Elway was asked later on Riddick in the booth in the 2H and confirmed they’re leaning that way.  

Hopefully Muhammad’s tape gives them second thoughts.  Otherwise...ugh. 

Not sure I understand your response. What reason could you possibly have to waste an IR return spot on a 4th RB? You only have two of those spots, right?

59 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Not sure I understand your response. What reason could you possibly have to waste an IR return spot on a 4th RB? You only have two of those spots, right?

Well I wouldn’t even keep Riddick, or even have signed him to begin with.  But Elway & co. clearly see his role as worth protecting.  I don’t agree with the thinking at all.   

FWIW as long as a player makes the 53-man roster to begin the season before they hit the IR, any player put on IR can be an IR-return candidate.   And teams don’t have to designate which 2 players are IR-return anymore (that rule was modified 2-3 years ago) - all are eligible that were in the 53-man roster before hitting the IR.  

Lock was speculated to avoid IR-return to max out his practice scrimmage time running the scout team vs  the 1st team D once his thumb allows it.   Can’t argue with that reasoning.  Riddick would be baffling.  

So I’d guess that we see Riddick & Janovich / Jones all to make the 53-man roster - and then all 3 hit the IR afterwards, without having to designate which 2 are going to be recalled.   But Klis / Elway’s responses make it pretty clear Riddick is seen as a prime candidate to be 1 of the 2 who can be recalled.  SMH. 

Edited by Broncofan

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Well I wouldn’t even keep Riddick, or even have signed him to begin with.  But Elway & co. clearly see his role as worth protecting.  I don’t agree with the thinking at all.   

FWIW as long as a player makes the 53-man roster to begin the season before they hit the IR, any player put on IR can be an IR-return candidate.   And teams don’t have to designate which 2 players are IR-return anymore (that rule was modified 2-3 years ago) - all are eligible that were in the 53-man roster before hitting the IR.  

Lock was speculated to avoid IR-return to max out his practice scrimmage time running the scout team vs  the 1st team D once his thumb allows it.   Can’t argue with that reasoning.  Riddick would be baffling.  

So I’d guess that we see Riddick & Janovich / Jones all to make the 53-man roster - and then all 3 hit the IR afterwards, without having to designate which 2 are going to be recalled.   But Klis / Elway’s responses make it pretty clear Riddick is seen as a prime candidate to be 1 of the 2 who can be recalled.  SMH. 

Okay, so we agree. You had me a bit confused.

Here's a question I've got. Is there any way they keep Hogan? He's playing against (and with) lots of guys that will never play on Sunday with less than spectacular (I'm being kind) results. 

The "NFL experience" argument wouldn't seem to hold much water now. We're pretty screwed if Flacco goes down anyway, might as well give Rypien a shot. We can always pick up Hogan if we need him. I figure he'll be on the couch for a while.

11 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Okay, so we agree. You had me a bit confused.

Here's a question I've got. Is there any way they keep Hogan? He's playing against (and with) lots of guys that will never play on Sunday with less than spectacular (I'm being kind) results. 

The "NFL experience" argument wouldn't seem to hold much water now. We're pretty screwed if Flacco goes down anyway, might as well give Rypien a shot. We can always pick up Hogan if we need him. I figure he'll be on the couch for a while.

Elway’s made it clear it’s Hogan or another vet.  As much as I agree with the notion we can’t win with Hogan that vet label matters vs. reg season D’s In Elway’s eyes.  And to be fair to Elway most GM’s see it that way; he’s not really on an island there.  Klis’ post game article already frames the decision as Hogan over bringing in another vet - not Hogan vs. Rypien. 

Re: Rypien I really do not see that he’s done anything that merits a claim if we cut him.  He’s almost certain to be put on our PS.   And if Rypien doesn’t get activated off the PS until Week 13 or later (Hogan getting the boot then) - we get no service time accumulated.   So Rypien can learn on the PS and give us 4 cheap backup years after this season.  TBH I don’t see the arm skills will allow a higher outcome but that’s still valuable.  I would be more than willing to take the risk for the potential stash & save scenario.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well Hollins was a holy terror on the drive at the 2 min warning.  Forced a punt.   Den 3-and-out where Hogan’s limitations showed up.   Back to ARI. 

Then Cravens made a play that may have saved his roster spot.  Gave up the catch to Caleb Wilson but ripped the ball out and it’s a TO.   Big for him.  

Hogan ends the 1H with a pick on a Hail Mary.   That won’t get dinged on him (nor should it) - but his limitations are there to see.   The earlier pick was a tip play - but not seeing the Mike sitting down was the mistake (right on cue after saying he had avoided major decision making mistakes).   Doubt Rypien will do enough to overcome the gap but another vet backup could get a look.   Guess we will see. 

Me thinks if Bethard or Mullens get cut in SF, they may get a call to backup Flacco.

I thought it was interesting when Brian Griese asked Elway, "which position are you thinnest at?" I am paraphrasing slightly, but Elway's response was:

"Obviously we've had some injuries at ILB, but the young guys like Josh Watson have really come on. AJ Johnson too".

I just thought the way he said that sentenced leads me to believe that Watson is actually ahead of Johnson now. The latter played really late into the game yesterday whereas I don't think Watson did.

Like @Broncofan and others have eluded to, I really hate our 'IR designated to return' situation right now. We're going to potentially end up wasting it on players that frankly, wouldn't be missed if they weren't on the roster (Riddick and Butt) and those with future prospects but aren't going to help us this year (Lock). We need those slots for good players who may get hurt when the real game starts.

The Riddick signing was baffling from the get go and it's annoying that he's going to make it ahead of a guy like Mohammed who has actually done everything he can to make the roster.

Special Teams is going to separate who makes the bottom of the roster on Defense. How many CB's, Safeties and LB's we carry will be determined solely off Special Teams, because none of those guys who have flashed on Defense at all.

I think our PS could be DL heavy. Some good film put out there by our young guys.