QB Taysom Hill and WR Austin Carr join Saints

Mid Iowa

So the Saints go ahead with 3 QBs to start the season, and add another Wide Receiver.

QB Tayson Hill was claimed off waivers from Green Bay.
WR Austin Carr was claimed off waivers from New England.

This QB situation doesn't bode well for Grayson and Nassib. They must have been bad to have gotten dumped, then replaced by another dumped QB. Grayson didn't seem to improve at all after coming into the league. He's constantly fighting for the #3 spot, and finally lost it to a 27 year old Rookie.

I don't know too much about Hill other than he was really good at BYU, but was constantly injured. I guess the Saints haven't learned their lesson. Time will tell.

Austin Carr seems to be a name/player that Patriot fans were enjoying, and according to Twitter, fans are not happy that the Pats let him go, especially after Eddleman went down last week. Carr seems to be a sure handed guy who plays big. He had a monster game against Ohio State last year when he played for Northwestern, and had almost identical preseason production as our own Tommy Lee Lewis, both at the top of the list of NFL preseason performers.

These are intriguing moves by the Saints, and I certainly approve of the Carr signing, especially with Snead serving a 3 game bench sentence.

Thoughts?

Austin Carr from what I"ve gathered had a really nice preseason. It sounds like he has excellent hands, and really good quickness to get separation in his routes, but lacks top end speed. He could potentially grow into a solid slot receiver, so I like this addition quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, tyler735 said:

It sounds like he has excellent hands, and really good quickness to get separation in his routes, but lacks top end speed. He could potentially grow into a solid slot receiver, so I like this addition quite a bit. 

Colston, Moore, Thomas, Snead

Some of this systems best WRs have fit that mold.

2 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Colston, Moore, Thomas, Snead

Some of this systems best WRs have fit that mold.

Right on! Lance Moore always took at least 1 guy away from the focus on Colston. The same will happen with Thomas and Snead. The best case scenario is if they can plug and play this kid (Carr) in similar to what we had last season with Thomas, Snead, and Cooks.

Only missing link is a Shockey type TE who can block and catch. I wonder if Kamara will come in and play wideout to create that type of multi threat.

3 hours ago, tyler735 said:

Austin Carr from what I"ve gathered had a really nice preseason. It sounds like he has excellent hands, and really good quickness to get separation in his routes, but lacks top end speed. He could potentially grow into a solid slot receiver, so I like this addition quite a bit. 

Not much top end speed is needed for the slot play, or those crossing patterns. Just good hands and no fear. ...oh, and a beard. The kid has to grow a beard.

9 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Hit the nail on the head @Mid Iowa

It says a lot about Grayson that they give this kid a roster spot without seeing a snap from him in preseason.

I think back to when we drafted Grayson... Payton said "he was the only QB they viewed with a NFL future beyond Winston and Mariota". A week before the draft the only 2 QB the Saints worked out were Grayson and the Petty kid from Baylor whos been a bust with the jets. The other 3 QB drafted after Grayson...

Sean Mannion: Some within Rams org feel hes better option than former #1 overall pick Jared Goff.

Brett Hundley: Very impressive since his rookie season as Aaron Rodgers backup and reason Tysom was available to the Saints.

Trevor Siemian: current starting QB for the Denver Broncos.

What does this say about thr Saints ability to scout quarterbacks?

49 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Eh, that they're probably in par with most other teams. Pretty surprising for an offensive minded guy like Payton, but I don't think they're particularly bad.

like you said, mannion could be better than the 1st overall pick. That sounds like a really bad pick.

50 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

Remember that kid in high school who was a great athlete and could also bench 350lbs?

Well, he realized how cool 350lbs was so he focused solely on bench press and after several years got up to 450lbs. Unfortunately, his legs were so weak, he couldn't walk to the weight room any more.

Payton/Brees

For further reference, see Billy Madison's "The Puppy Who Lost His Way".

3 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

I think back to when we drafted Grayson... Payton said "he was the only QB they viewed with a NFL future beyond Winston and Mariota". A week before the draft the only 2 QB the Saints worked out were Grayson and the Petty kid from Baylor whos been a bust with the jets. The other 3 QB drafted after Grayson...

Sean Mannion: Some within Rams org feel hes better option than former #1 overall pick Jared Goff.

Brett Hundley: Very impressive since his rookie season as Aaron Rodgers backup and reason Tysom was available to the Saints.

Trevor Siemian: current starting QB for the Denver Broncos.

I don't really have any big concerns with this. They picked Grayson as a midround pick. Sometimes they work out sometimes they don't. This isn't like the Saints spent a 1st round pick banking on him turning into a franchise QB. They simply saw a guy from a small school with some tools to work with that could potentially develop down the line. At this point it looks like he hasn't developed as much as we had hoped, but we haven't really lost much.

This line of thinking stating we passed on other QB's could literally be applied to just about every team. Tom Brady lasting until the 6th round. Russell Wilson lasting until the 3rd round, Kirk Cousins lasting until the 4th round, Dak Prescott lasting until the 4th round. 

Regardless at this point the QB's you mentioned have accounted for very little in the NFL thus far. 

Sean Mannion- 0 touchdowns 1 interception in his NFL career. He's shown nothing so far to say he's better than Grayson.

Brett Hundley- He was viewed as a very talented guy that was terribly inconsistent coming out of college. He's had some good preseason games, but still hasn't shown anything in the regular season. He has however posted a 20% completion percentage, 0 touchdowns and 1 interception in limited regular season action. So there is really no proof that he's better than Grayson at this point. If my memory is correct Green Bay traded away their backup QB Matt Flynn a few years back who looked much better than Hundley in Green Bays system and he amounted to nothing once traded away from that system in Green Bay.

Trevor Siemian- He has been the most successful of the listed ones so far, but this is more a matter of circumstance than actual talent. Siemian fell into a great situation in which he's been surrounded by 2 very talented WR's in Demarius Thomas, and Emmanuel Sanders. Yet despite having great weapons had a completion percentage of 59% and a 84 QB Rating. The Broncos just signed Brock Osweiler who was just cut from both the Texans AND the Browns. Let that sink in for a second. The Broncos are still searching for a starting caliber QB and are willing to sign a guy that was mediocre for them in the past and atrocious for the Texans/Browns compete for a starting job. This isn't even mentioning how incompetent their scouting department must be for spending a 1st round pick on Paxton Lynch just last season yet won't commit to him as a starter as he's shown to be a huge reach so far.

As mentioned before taking Grayson was a low risk potential high reward. It didn't pay off this time, but we honestly haven't needed it to as we have an elite QB still. If we swing and miss on Brees replacement then I'll say you have a valid point, but to take a chance on a midround pick and not have him develop into a franchise QB. Not high on my list of concerns with our scouting department.

Archived