Chasing Great: Week 1, On to GB

Superman(DH23)

Preseason is over, 53 will be set in a couple days.  Now it's on to GB.  

Intriguing storylines abound:

What will the Matt LaFleur offense look like?

Will Rodgers and LaFleur coexist?

Can Mitchell take the next step?

What will the Bears run game look like?

Is Khalil Mack human?

Can the league's 17th best secondary stop these vaunted Packers WRs?

Are there really women in Wisconsin?

Discuss...

And BEAR DOWN

• Like 1

What really want to see is the same killer instinct the defense has carry over to the offense.

Last year Nagy and Tru sometimes were either going too aggressive for the situation (LAR game when Tru was coming back less than 100% and horrible conditions, but still were throwing 20+ yard passes repeatedly) or they were getting too conservative (multiple games). It is expected with first year HC/full-time playcaller and young QB. But this year I want to see them dictate the pace, be meticulous, and step on the other team's throat. I don't want to take a game that is being won by 10 at half and then win by 3 or 6. I want to score points in the 4th and take the wind out of their sails. 4th quarter drives taking 7 minutes because they are picking the defense apart. Things like that are what will be needed for Tru to really prove he is a franchise QB. I think he can do it, and think Nagy is smart enough to plan and adjust through the game to do it.

Some of the Bears defense called Tru the 'Pretty Boy Assassin' a while back. I want him to show that killer instinct with regularity.

37 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

What really want to see is the same killer instinct the defense has carry over to the offense.

Last year Nagy and Tru sometimes were either going too aggressive for the situation (LAR game when Tru was coming back less than 100% and horrible conditions, but still were throwing 20+ yard passes repeatedly) or they were getting too conservative (multiple games). It is expected with first year HC/full-time playcaller and young QB. But this year I want to see them dictate the pace, be meticulous, and step on the other team's throat. I don't want to take a game that is being won by 10 at half and then win by 3 or 6. I want to score points in the 4th and take the wind out of their sails. 4th quarter drives taking 7 minutes because they are picking the defense apart. Things like that are what will be needed for Tru to really prove he is a franchise QB. I think he can do it, and think Nagy is smart enough to plan and adjust through the game to do it.

Some of the Bears defense called Tru the 'Pretty Boy Assassin' a while back. I want him to show that killer instinct with regularity.

I’m expecting to see more of that too. Controlled aggression, but aggression nonetheless. Take shots when they’re there, and they should be there, but don’t force them. I expect this year’s version of the offense to create more of those opportunities though.

I just really think having diverse running backs will open up the whole offense so much more. We should be more efficient, and that efficiency should result in more big strike opportunities. Last year if our WR were covered Mitch’s options were really limited - run, throw the ball away or force something. Those 5-7 yard quick hit checkdowns to Montgomery or Davis are gonna be there where they weren’t with Howard, and I expect us to take them enough to stay ahead of the chains more often which is going to let us take more shots. When defenses adjust to try to take those check downs away we’re going to see more 1 on 1 matchups down the seam, deep in cuts without LBs underneath, etc. which will lead to more chunk play opportunities too. Identifying when each will present itself is a big part of what the ‘202’ version of Nagy/Mitch should entail. I’d expect to see more line checks to exploit favorable matchups this year than last year. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

That would be my hope as well.

Score early, score often, then allow the defense to put their boots on Aaron's back, and use Monty and Davis to run out the clock.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m expecting to see more of that too. Controlled aggression, but aggression nonetheless. Take shots when they’re there, and they should be there, but don’t force them. I expect this year’s version of the offense to create more of those opportunities though.

I just really think having diverse running backs will open up the whole offense so much more. We should be more efficient, and that efficiency should result in more big strike opportunities. Last year if our WR were covered Mitch’s options were really limited - run, throw the ball away or force something. Those 5-7 yard quick hit checkdowns to Montgomery or Davis are gonna be there where they weren’t with Howard, and I expect us to take them enough to stay ahead of the chains more often which is going to let us take more shots. When defenses adjust to try to take those check downs away we’re going to see more 1 on 1 matchups down the seam, deep in cuts without LBs underneath, etc. which will lead to more chunk play opportunities too. Identifying when each will present itself is a big part of what the ‘202’ version of Nagy/Mitch should entail. I’d expect to see more line checks to exploit favorable matchups this year than last year. 

Exactly. Look at the majority of yards that guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc put up. They aren't from 25+ yard throws, they are precise throws that are often short but perfectly timed to let the WR/TE/RB have a chance to get some YAC. Big Ben had a monster year and I think his average throw was shorter than it had been in his entire career. Or maybe more throws behind the LOS, I don't remember but it was something along those lines. Rodgers (and Favre, as much as I hate to admit it) has a lot of big plays from changing up their cadence and getting a free play, then throwing up a 50/50 deep. That is something Tru started to do but I remember him throwing a shorter route at least once on that kind of play, maybe he didn't notice the jump though. Regardless, he has all the tools around him will provide a lot of match ups to take advantage of, if he can be precise and have controlled aggression he should have one hell of a year.

35 minutes ago, soulman said:

That would be my hope as well.

Score early, score often, then allow the defense to put their boots on Aaron's back, and use Monty and Davis to run out the clock.

That should be the thought process. I want the Bears' to be hearltess and relentless.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Preseason is over, 53 will be set in a couple days.  Now it's on to GB.  

Intriguing storylines abound:

What will the Matt LaFleur offense look like?

It wasn't great last year in Tennessee but Mariota is also horrible. I think with Rodgers it'll be significantly better. The question is how quick GB will adapt to it. IIRC, it's a lot of short passes.

Will Rodgers and LaFleur coexist?

Coexist? Probably. Like each other? Doubt it. His own family hates him. Why wouldn't his head coach?

Can Mitchell take the next step?

I think he throws more INT's than 2018 but more TD's also.

What will the Bears run game look like?

I think Cohen gets about 4-5 carries/game, Davis 5-6 and Montgomery 13-15.

Is Khalil Mack human?

No but he slowed down at the end of 2018. I think the adrenaline ran out and the lack of an offseason caught up to him. I'd love to see him have a huge game. In two games vs the Packers as a Bear, he's been nearly unstoppable.

Can the league's 17th best secondary stop these vaunted Packers WRs?

NOT SINCE PACE LET AMOS GO CUZ ACCORDING 2 DVOA AMOS IS DA TURNIN POINT IN DA DIVISION PACE R AN IDIOT!!!!!!1

Are there really women in Wisconsin?

Yes. 

One's with teeth? Now that's up for debate.

Discuss...

And BEAR DOWN

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

It wasn't great last year in Tennessee but Mariota is also horrible. I think with Rodgers it'll be significantly better. The question is how quick GB will adapt to it. IIRC, it's a lot of short passes.

How is Mariota horrible? I mean--really

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Have you seen his last two seasons? Have you seen his career record despite a great run game? On top of that Tannehill has clearly been in the best QB in camp so far. If you think Mariota is any better than the 25th best QB in football, I don't know what to tell you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sugashane said:

What it will take for Mitch to prove he is a franchise QB is to improve in these 3 areas where he was less than impressive last season and to prove he can do it outside of the script plays when defensive adjustments are made.

1) Consistency in ball placement.

2) Consistency in his decision making. 

3) Better accuracy in all phases-- including obvious passing situations and against the blitz. And no, he was not very accurate when you really break down pass and compare it to the rest of the league.

4) Needs to learn to go through his progressions better and trust his instincts more instead of only relying on the play design. He had a good OL last year that offered ample protection for him but he was still getting the ball out faster than he needed too. He relied on his hot read far too often last year and this often led to either an inaccurate pass or getting baited into a throw that was either tipped or picked off. Getting jittery in the pocket also caused him to read through his progressions too fast at times too.

5) Ease off on the low percentage throws. Yes, he can fit the ball into those throws into tight windows but there are usually better options elsewhere on the field. Those 20+ yard bombs downfield outside the numbers are one of the lowest percentage throws a QB can make as not only does it take precise timing and accuracy, it's also easy for the secondary to use the sidelines as an extra defender on those throws and Mitch had 50 attempts in this area last year (t-5th most in the league). Not saying get away from it completely but that number needs to come down a bit.

That said, from the decision making and precise ball placement to Miller in the end zone (it was gonna be a score or incomplete to live another down) to the perfectly placed back-shoulder throw to Robinson (leading him away from the defender and using his own momentum against him) to showing patience in the Eagles......are all good examples of why he showed flashes of greatness in all of these areas last season at times. They just didn't happen at a consistently high enough rate.

The first 4 things mentioned here are traits of what all true franchise QB's have the ability to do at consistent rate. And in order for the Bears to make a run at a title, Mitch needs to be above average in these categories.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Yeah, there is no way you can call Mariota horrible or the 25th worst QB in the league -- that's just a bad take all around. No QB in the league has done more with less than he has. Having the worst recieving corps in the league while playing with a slew of injuries will make any QB look bad. And losing Delanie Walker to injury only made things worse by ten fold. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

Have you seen his last two seasons? Have you seen his career record despite a great run game? On top of that Tannehill has clearly been in the best QB in camp so far. If you think Mariota is any better than the 25th best QB in football, I don't know what to tell you.

Using team wins is a poor way of judging a QB. What part of his game makes you think he's a horrible QB? If you go back and break down each of his throws you will see how he is quickly becoming one, if not, the most disrespected QB's in the league. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I...don't know where I'd rank him, as I haven't bothered to think about it. But, even if I agree he's the 25th best quarterback in football, how on earth does that make him horrible?