The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

For as aggressive as he's been in his time here with roster spots 45-53, which has already found NFL talent like Brown, Lazard, Vitale, Redmond etc this was one collective fart noise of a cutdown period for Gute. No way you can tell me that these 63 guys, all from our roster, were the best 63 possible for our squad and we didn't need to utilize the rest of the league at all. 

Granted we're not talking superstars here but it's been refreshing to see him pounce on guys like Brown or Redmond and get them aboard. Brown looks like a young Tramon to me and Redmond is going to be able to play CB or S and be a ST stud, Vitale is our starting FB. Teams have strengths and weaknesses just like we did, hopefully he's as aggressive in season as he was last year and the conservative nature of this process mostly stems from our short week of prep before the Bears.

Completely agree. No way that our 10 PS guys were the best 10 we could possibly get.  1184 cut guys to choose from and the best players we got just so happens to be our cut guys, I don't buy that at all.

I suspect we were unlucky getting players we wanted but like you said the the short week of prep had to be a major factor as all these players were already in green bay ready to go to training right away.

Had we brought anyone from outside the organisation it would've taken at least a day for them to arrive and that doesn't help us for preparation for Thursday,

Maybe Gute will make his moves after the game.

Edited by Chili

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Completely agree. No way that our 10 PS guys were the best 10 we could possibly get.  1184 cut guys to choose from and the best players we got just so happens to be our cut guys, I don;t buy that at all.

I suspect we were unlucky getting players we wanted but like you said the the short week of prep had to be a major factor as all these players were already in green bay ready to go to training right away.

Had we brought anyone from outside the organisation it would've taken at least a day for them to arrive and that doesn't help us for preparation Thursday,

Maybe Gute will make his moves after the game.

I dont see the short week as a factor.

We're talking about filling out the PS - none of whom will have anything to do with Game 1.

Just now, Leader said:

I dont see the short week as a factor.

We're talking about filling out the PS - none of whom will have anything to do with Game 1.

But we're gonna need them on the practice field to help the team prepare for the game.

Had we signed much of the practice squad from outside green bay they wouldn't be here for training as they're too busy packing their bags and trying to get the next flight out,.Could take at least a day. That does not help us. We needed guys right now and not waste any time to prepare for the game.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not exactly critical when weighed against setting up / finishing up the roster.

Do you think they just sit there and twiddle their thumbs?

They are actively involved on the scout team and getting our offence and defence ready for the game. We got just 4 days to prepare.

Had we brought new players from outside Green Bay we would not have enough players for the scout team. It would've taken at least a day for the new player to arrive leaving us too few players for our scout team which will hamper our preparations.

Gute will set up and finish the roster after the game. Its just unfortunate that our first game of the season just happens to be on a Thurs night.

Edited by Chili

13 minutes ago, Chili said:

No actually I dont but thanks for the enlightenment LOL.
Everybody's taking their best shot at the best available talent now.
That windows closed - now. I'd hate to think we shut the process down - or cut it short - in order to fill out a scout team.
Are changes still coming? Possibly...but in theory at least, the best of the best are off the board now.

22 minutes ago, Chili said:

They are actively involved on the scout team and getting our offence and defence ready for the game. We got just 4 days to prepare.

Had we brought new players from outside Green Bay we would not have enough players for the scout team. It would've taken at least a day for the new player to arrive leaving us too few players for our scout team which will hamper our preparations.

Gute will set up and finish the roster after the game. Its just unfortunate that our first game of the season just happens to be on a Thurs night.

They will be running off cards, so they wouldn't need to know our system, and it wouldn't take them long to get to Green Bay.  Notified at 11 AM today, they could easily be there for practice tomorrow.

Right now, it appears that there wasn't anybody from other teams that Green Bay wanted, and also was either available through waivers or wanted to be on our prcatice squad as opposed to others.  That is not unexpected.

If it is like past years, there will be changes to the squad over the next few days.

1 hour ago, chillparsi1 said:

Come on man, nobody with a grain of common sense said that in the run-up to the draft. Treadwell had weight and speed questions, the dude was more boom-or-bust than safest.            

Everybody going into that draft season knew Treadwell was slow.  The questions were about "does it matter" and a lot of people said "yes, yes it does."  Others were saying that speed challenged Alshon Jeffery made it work, as though exceptions prove rules.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This FO couldn't possibly think any lower of the ILB position is what I've learned. From the time Eliott Wolf said it 3 years ago to today it rings true every time we need one.

I'd be shocked if this FO pays Martinez.

I think they'd explore signing him, but he's not touching Jaylon Smith or Myles Jack money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/01/jachai-polite-was-fined-more-than-100000-during-his-time-with-the-jets/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I've heard of players firing their agency, has an agency ever fired a player? Lol. This guy is a straight up trainwreck, I will say this however, Pete Carroll is the perfect coach for him, if he fails there I doubt another GM will touch him.

Didn't Rosenhaus fire Johnny Manziel?

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

For as aggressive as he's been in his time here with roster spots 45-53, which has already found NFL talent like Brown, Lazard, Vitale, Redmond etc this was one collective fart noise of a cutdown period for Gute. No way you can tell me that these 63 guys, all from our roster, were the best 63 possible for our squad and we didn't need to utilize the rest of the league at all. 

Granted we're not talking superstars here but it's been refreshing to see him pounce on guys like Brown or Redmond and get them aboard. Brown looks like a young Tramon to me and Redmond is going to be able to play CB or S and be a ST stud, Vitale is our starting FB. Teams have strengths and weaknesses just like we did, hopefully he's as aggressive in season as he was last year and the conservative nature of this process mostly stems from our short week of prep before the Bears.

Legitimately asking, when was the last time a 53-man cutdown made a major impact on their next team?  And I'm not talking about the LeSean McCoy's of the world.