The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

On 9/1/2019 at 11:57 AM, Cheech said:

6 months ago Jachai Polite was a first round lock and many here, including myself, wanted him or mocked him to GB with the Packers first pick.  

Now he's a free agent.  

Not sure I've seen a player fall that fast since Nick Perry from 2017 to 2018.  

All that hype pre-combine.  Then a miserable athletic showing followed up with God awful interviews.

You see where he accumulated over 100k in training camp fines?  Seems like tardiness was his thing.

He was a great one to take off of the board.  Medicals and interviews, right?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

All that hype pre-combine.  Then a miserable athletic showing followed up with God awful interviews.

You see where he accumulated over 100k in training camp fines?  Seems like tardiness was his thing.

missed the part about training camp fines. That's unacceptable; even from a rookie with some maturation issues. Polite's medical issues came around the time of the combine I believe. Think he might've tweaked something before or after; I don't recall, but I remember reading about it on a scouting site.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Jachal Polite: I'm here for my last paycheck.

HR Lady: You owe us 12 bucks.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Any chance GB is the team that is talking to LAC about Gordon? I know it’s unlikely and I’m not saying I want him... at all.

Just curious what the group thinks.

Oh heck no! You don't pay a RB that kind of money in today's NFL. On top of the 'honor' of paying him you'd have to give up additional capital. No way, no thanks! 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Any chance GB is the team that is talking to LAC about Gordon? I know it’s unlikely and I’m not saying I want him... at all.

If you go back to Mike Shanahan, he won 2 SBs with an offense that featured the outside zone with Alex Gibbs as OL coach/guru - They felt that the RB position was plug n play. There's no need to pay an RB top cash, just plug in the next one. And that's what they did in Denver and again in WASH where Shanny Sr. turned 6th rounder Alfred Morris into a star RB

But then LA McVay paid Gurley and Shanahan Jr. paid Jerrick McKinnon, so maybe this generation of coaches feels differently ?

GB won't pay Gordon top 5 or even top 10 cash, and that's what he turned down from the Chargers.
Zero chance the Packers are interested in writing that long- term check for Melvin Gordon, he's just not special

19 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

If you go back to Mike Shanahan, he won 2 SBs with an offense that featured the outside zone with Alex Gibbs as OL coach/guru - They felt that the RB position was plug n play. There's no need to pay an RB top cash, just plug in the next one. And that's what they did in Denver and again in WASH where Shanny Sr. turned 6th rounder Alfred Morris into a star RB

But then LA McVay paid Gurley and Shanahan Jr. paid Jerrick McKinnon, so maybe this generation of coaches feels differently ?

GB won't pay Gordon top 5 or even top 10 cash, and that's what he turned down from the Chargers.
Zero chance the Packers are interested in writing that long- term check for Melvin Gordon, he's just not special

As a Wisconsinite and a Badger fan, I’d love to have Gordon. Yet I believe he only averaged over 4.0 per carry once. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. Hard pass unless he’d be a mid range FA. 

Edited by MantyWrestler

16 hours ago, Golfman said:

Oh heck no! You don't pay a RB that kind of money in today's NFL. On top of the 'honor' of paying him you'd have to give up additional capital. No way, no thanks! 

3 hours ago, Brit_Pack said:

Unless you are Jerry Jones!

I heard a radio guy say that he had been thinking that Jerry Jones was doing the right thing by not paying a RB like that in today's NFL. And then he caved.

Radio sports guy says that Jerry has been around so long that he remembers paying Emmit Smith after a holdout--and then the 'boys won a Super Bowl.

We are all the victims of our own unique experiences, including Jerry. They shape us and create biases and blind spots.

And it's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble. It's the things we think are true that actually aren't that bite us in the asterisk.

16 hours ago, Green19 said:

Not a chance.  First off, Melvin Gordon wants to get paid, and the Packers don't pay their RBs.  Secondly, the Chargers are going to want good value for him, so they're probably looking for a Day 2 pick minimum for him.