The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

Just now, FinneasGage said:

Why tf would they do that

They’re goona gut the roster and start over from scratch again. Could easily see them picking top 3 the next two years in a row and if they manage to land Tua and then are sitting on the first overall pick with Lawrence there the next year someone is going to offer them an insane amount of draft capital. 

13 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I really don’t want to use another first on a DB. See if you can flip them Jackson like caliber said and maybe throw in a second or third otherwise nah. 

Minkah is that good. You trade for him and you're fundamentally changing your defense to where nickel is your true base. Think of it more like spending a 1st on a linebacker. All of a sudden we're looking at a top 11 of Clark, Adams, Gary, Smith, Smith, Blake, Minkah, Savage, Amos, Jaire, King. That is A LOT of talent with oodles of depth.

I know we need to start spending draft capital on offense, but adding a guy like Minkah in the slot is exciting to me.

• Like 5

He got thrown into the S/ILB role for the Dolphins, which is strange as they have Reshad.. Idk if we'll be jaded with DB's who dislike that role, I sure don't disagree that that isn't his game though. I don't think he should see the inside of the Tackle box, I'd stick him on move TE's and slot guys. I wouldn't say he's a true outside CB but he can play some reps there better than he's suited for LB play. He got toasted for the first long Hollywood TD playing deep Safety but it's not for a lack of wheels, he just played it super flat.

4 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Minkah is that good. You trade for him and you're fundamentally changing your defense to where nickel is your true base. Think of it more like spending a 1st on a linebacker. All of a sudden we're looking at a top 11 of Clark, Adams, Gary, Smith, Smith, Blake, Minkah, Savage, Amos, Jaire, King. That is A LOT of talent with oodles of depth.

I know we need to start spending draft capital on offense, but adding a guy like Minkah in the slot is exciting to me.

I can honestly tell you that other than pre-2018 draft highlights, I've never seen him play - or, more precisely put - never took note of his play. I'm sure he was making plays when I took in some Bama playoff games - but avoiding Dolphin games has been really high on my "To Do List" (which I follow closely). 

That disclaimer offered......

Jun 1 2018 - Signed a 4 year $16.44 million contract with Miami (MIA).

He was fourth in overall tackles with 80 (51 solo/29 assisted) - had 9 passes defended / 2 INTs and 1 TD (which I'll presume came on D and not some punt/KO return).

If I recall correctly, coming out of college he was described as a "Swiss Army Knife" type player. Since GB had him on their radar screen, MIA selected him 11th overall - and he produced as a rookie - I think it safe to say the guy's got talent that's translated to the NFL level.

I dont see GB offering high enough to get him - but it would make for an interesting mix of DB talent - no denying that.

ESPN: 

Fitzpatrick, who was projected as a cornerback/safety out of Alabama, played three or four different positions against Baltimore. He has been uncomfortable with his constantly fluctuating role on the Dolphins' defense throughout the offseason.

During Miami's joint practices with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in August, Fitzpatrick's mother, Melissa, mentioned on Twitter that he was being incorrectly used at strong safety to suit other players' skill sets.

Fitzpatrick confirmed that he agreed with his mother's thoughts after that practice, saying, "She feels very strongly. She's not wrong. Coach has asked me to do something right now. I got to do what they ask me to do. If we have to have some discussions in the future, we'll have those discussions.

"I'm not 215 pounds, 220 pounds. So playing in the box isn't best suited for me, but that's what Coach is asking me to do."

A personnel man for one team had praise for Fitzpatrick as the "ideal slot corner who can cover, blitz off the edge, [is] intelligent, a good tackler and a good special teams player," but doubted that teams would be willing to part with a first-round draft choice in 2020.

Minkah is Raven Greene/Josh Jones but the Porsche version compared to a Volvo. This is the guy Gute wanted to trade up for in 2018. I'd propose a deal that includes Josh Jackson and our 2020 2nd round pick. Miami probably is looking for a 1st but throwing in a young player might get it done. 

Edited by packfanfb

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Minkah is Raven Greene/Josh Jones but the Porsche version compared to a Volvo. This is the guy Gute wanted to trade up for in 2018. I'd propose a deal that includes Josh Jackson and our 2020 2nd round pick. Miami probably is looking for a 1st but throwing in a young player might get it done. 

Why is anyone falling for Josh Jackson having any sort of value right now?

4 minutes ago, Norm said:

Why is anyone falling for Josh Jackson having any sort of value right now?

He's more of a throw-in. If the report is that Miami would take a 2, for example, I'd offer a 2 with Jackson as a kicker. Like Fitz, he's a 2nd year player who's under contract for basically 3 more years and is talented. He may just need a change of scenery and the fit in GB was always a question mark. Not sure if the fit is better in Miami, but there is some value there given he's a 2nd year player. Seems like a player a rebuilding team could want. 

Edited by packfanfb

I think you start the conversation with a 3 and go from there.  I hesitate to give a 2, but that's just me.  And yes, Jackson does have value.  He is young, he is playing on a team with some depth, and he has ceiling.  I'm not saying a lot of value, but certainly value.

26 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

He's more of a throw-in. If the report is that Miami would take a 2, for example, I'd offer a 2 with Jackson as a kicker. Like Fitz, he's a 2nd year player who's under contract for basically 3 more years and is talented. He may just need a change of scenery and the fit in GB was always a question mark. Not sure if the fit is better in Miami, but there is some value there given he's a 2nd year player. Seems like a player a rebuilding team could want. 

Just saw his name a few times in trades for Miami guys. Almost rather keep him and see what happens than give him away. Give them pick equal to his current value or whatever

10 minutes ago, 15412 said:

I think you start the conversation with a 3 and go from there.  I hesitate to give a 2, but that's just me.  And yes, Jackson does have value.  He is young, he is playing on a team with some depth, and he has ceiling.  I'm not saying a lot of value, but certainly value.

The reason I don't hesitate with a 2nd is this: 

Merely one year ago, the Packers and Gute were (1) reportedly trying to trade up to get him around 10-11 in the draft; or (2) probably would have rejected the Saints deal and taken him at 14 if he was on the board. So just one year ago, the Packers viewed this guy as a top 10-15 talent in the draft. 

Since then, he has lived up to the hype during his rookie season, is only 22 years old, and is just starting year 2 of his 4 year deal, which also comes with a 5th year option. This is not a guy you're talking about trading for and then losing him in FA the next year. He's guaranteed on your team for the next 4 years (including this year). Plus...for the next 3 years, he's cheap. 

In sum, if the Packers wanted him that badly to spend a top 15 pick (and then some to trade up) to get him, plus now you have the ability of hindsight to see that he proved his worth during his rookie year...why would you not want to give up a 2nd round pick a year later for him? 

• Like 3