The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

A first round pick isn't even overpaying for Fitzpatrick TBH.

In a vacuum I agree. Then I think about not having that pick for a potential OT. 

If true, I see this turning into a bidding war and we will be out of the running pretty quick. It's not like we are in dire need

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

If true, I see this turning into a bidding war and we will be out of the running pretty quick. It's not like we are in dire need

I agree .. just throw of the best offer you can and be done with it.  It sucked barely losing out on Mack, but not that non-deal is starting to look a little better for the Packers.

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

In a vacuum I agree. Then I think about not having that pick for a potential OT. If true, I see this turning into a bidding war and we will be out of the running pretty quick. It's not like we are in dire need

Exactly.

Edited by Leader

20 minutes ago, Norm said:

Oh I totally agree. That being said, I do not watch the dolphins tape. I never heard anything bad last year though I don't think.

Minkah is worth a 1st to a DC who knows how to use him (I think Pettine would). He's not an Earl Thomas like safety or a Revis like outside CB. Think like Micah Hyde's role here, actually more like Charles Woodson's. He's not a guy you say "hey go cover their #1 guy." We had Shields/Harris/Tramon for that during Wood's time just like we have King/Alexander/Brown/Tramon for that now. He's a guy you put out there close to the box and say "go get the ball back for our offense."

For a 1st round pick it's an "all in" type move, but one that doesn't immediately come with a high financial commitment like say Mack would've. In a passing league it would certainly give us a secondary to matchup with any offense in the league.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Minkah is worth a 1st to a DC who knows how to use him (I think Pettine would). He's not an Earl Thomas like safety or a Revis like outside CB. Think like Micah Hyde's role here, actually more like Charles Woodson's. He's not a guy you say "hey go cover their #1 guy." We had Shields/Harris/Tramon for that during Wood's time just like we have King/Alexander/Brown/Tramon for that now. He's a guy you put out there close to the box and say "go get the ball back for our offense."

For a 1st round pick it's an "all in" type move, but one that doesn't immediately come with a high financial commitment like say Mack would've. In a passing league it would certainly give us a secondary to matchup with any offense in the league.

That's certainly my read on him as a prospect. I just was pointing out I have no idea how he did at all last year is all. 

Edit, when I see me, it's a back handed passive "all of us." Just so it's clear I'm being a jackass ;)

Edited by Norm

19 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Good post.

If we're competing with a team that probably would have a higher #1 - do you throw in more picks (?) or a body (?) - or call it a day? 

After thinking more, no way I give up a 1st.

Still need to sign Clark, no way we can spend $40 million in FA next offseason. Probably back to picking in the 20's and we still have needs that may not be met with our top pick being #60ish (OT for example). Law of diminishing returns on a guy like Fitz. How much better does he really make the defense ? Gute probably still believes in Jackson who would fill the same role. LIS it looks real attractive on the surface, but creates other issues.

1 hour ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Maybe I'm just getting old but I mostly feel some good Ol' TT paranoia these days when I think about trading a 1st round pick. But then I remember Datone Jones and Derek Sherrod and HARREL! and I'm like, I'd pull the trigger.

No doubt .. the draft is a crap shoot.  Everyone covets their firsts like gold, but there's still a great chance you pick a flop in round one.  Fitzpatrick is a sure thing .. 22 years old .. a couple years left on a rookie deal.  I hope Gute is all over it.