The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

There are plenty of reports suggesting GB was interested in Minkah at #14 last season.  If that's actually true, it seems like Gute should have zero issues with parting with the 2020 RD1 to land Minkah for 3 relatively cheap years on the rookie deal, plus the 5th year option.  Plugging him into the slot gives GB a secondary (when healthy) that should match up with any offense in the league.  From there you focus on improving the weapons around Rodgers, and GB quickly becomes a legit SB contender.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

There are plenty of reports suggesting GB was interested in Minkah at #14 last season.  If that's actually true, it seems like Gute should have zero issues with parting with the 2020 RD1 to land Minkah for 3 relatively cheap years on the rookie deal, plus the 5th year option.  Plugging him into the slot gives GB a secondary (when healthy) that should match up with any offense in the league.  From there you focus on improving the weapons around Rodgers, and GB quickly becomes a legit SB contender.

Agree - I'd like to see them add Fitzpatrick - but wondering if the FO wont look at their drafting as an Alex for Fitz (direct swap) with Jackson added on and call it a day regards secondary investment.

Will they make the tough talent evaluations on Jackson, Brown (Brown, Jackson?) and the pipeline guys - consider their depth and future set and not make a play for Fitz.

It's the wrong way to perceive these things, but I've just got a feeling somebody good is gonna grab this guy and get that much better - while we're gonna look at the aftermath and think "We could have done that easily enough...."

The mix and match possibilities with our secondary talent is really interesting to consider.

Do it Gute.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If your ask is for Minkah to cover a player like Hollywood Brown 1-1 you don't know how to use him. Miami has no other options right now, that roster is miserable.

So you want to trade a first+ for a slot corner who can’t cover a fast rookie speed receiver? This is the reason Minkah dropped from a projected top 5 pick is because he didn’t have the skill set to be a shutdown corner. It is great he can have success in certain matchups, but I don’t think that is worth giving up a 1 for (especially when we need a RT and probably need a few new tools on O). Teams are fine with the Bryce Callahan/Buster Skrine talent level players where Minkah plays and they don’t cost heavy draft capital.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pacman5252 said:

I don’t think that is worth giving up a 1 for (especially when we need a RT and probably need a few new tools on O)

We've proven we can find OL outside of the 1st so that's not an issue. As far as "new tools on O," what do you expect them to use a 1st on? The only positions it would make sense would be QB of the future or Albert Okwuegbunam and, even then, we just invested a 3rd in Jace Sternberger. We're not using a 1st on a WR or RB, that much is a given. We've put an emphasis on our defensive backfield and we completely solidify it with a trade for Fitzpatrick, who you are completely downplaying based on a single scenario. Your idea of what a 1st round DB should be is a bit skewed. Fitzpatrick was an elite nickel corner. Guys like Skrine and Callahan aren't and I'm 100% sure those teams who have those types would look into acquiring Fitzpatrick. 

Fitzpatrick fits this defense like a glove and you want to invest a 1st in a RT or WR/RB/TE. Makes zero sense. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

You are underselling his skillset hard. He is a FS/slot cb hybrid. His man skills are elite if you compare him to S but he's not a #1 outside CB. Also, it may not be elite speed, it's plenty fast to play well in the league. Teams are playing low level guys out of necessity not because they are happy about. GB already looks to have one of the better secondary groups moving forward and Fitzpatrick is the kind of move that could make it "Legion of Boom" level scary for other teams.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Golfman said:

The latest report is Miami is looking for a 2nd round pick. Who knows what is true and what is not, but I'd change my offer to Josh Jackson and a 4th round pick and ask for Fitzpatrick and a 7th. 

Do you want the Packers to get outbid (again)? Because that's how the Packers get outbid.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Do you want the Packers to get outbid (again)? Because that's how the Packers get outbid.

You don't think the Dolphins are smart enough to go back and forth a few times? I want to get him as cheaply as possible. He doesn't want to be there and apparently they really don't seem interested in keeping him. That means the price goes down, not up in most cases. 

23 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You don't think the Dolphins are smart enough to go back and forth a few times? I want to get him as cheaply as possible. He doesn't want to be there and apparently they really don't seem interested in keeping him. That means the price goes down, not up in most cases. 

You start at Jackson and a 4th, they aren't even going to give you a courtesy call back. The LEAST you come at them with is a conditional 2nd (3rd in reality, 2nd based on performance) and Josh Jackson.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Except the fact that Dallas, Philly, and a few other teams are talking to Miami about Fitz. Our 2nd and Josh Jackson could get the job done. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Fitzpatrick fits this defense like a glove and you want to invest a 1st in a RT or WR/RB/TE. Makes zero sense. 

Bulaga is constantly banged up and Bakh's back is an issue. Jenkins isn't ready to play Guard yet, which is why Lane Taylor is still a Packer IMHO. Therefore, Billy Turner basically has to play Guard until one of our two Tackles gets hurt.

This year's OT class is pretty loaded at the top, it would make zero sense not to invest at the position...

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

This year's OT class is pretty loaded at the top, it would make zero sense not to invest at the position...

You can do that in the 2nd via trade up if necessary. We're not going to get Thomas, Little, Adams or Jackson so why reach on Wirfs or the like? After those 4, I don't see a 1st round tackle unless Isaiah Wilson goes pro. Would rather trade the 2020 1st for Minkah Fitzpatrick and then trade up from our 2nd to land a RT if we need to. 

The ONLY way I invest in a first round OT is if one of the premium guys falls in our range and we move up for him. Other than that, I'd wait til day 2 due to the depth of the class.

Edited by beekay414

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I dunno. I just want Minkah and I'd do pretty much anything to get him. Give Aaron a lock down defense and we're hoisting a 5th Lambeau sooner rather than later.

Ditto. I don't know enough bout Minkah the player, but the idea of adding a player of his caliber on his current contract is a no-brainer to give up a future 1st.

Especially because that first is almost certainly going to be after pick 24.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Ditto. I don't know enough bout Minkah the player, but the idea of adding a player of his caliber on his current contract is a no-brainer to give up a future 1st.

Especially because that first is almost certainly going to be after pick 24.

Exactly my thought process. Not everyday you get the opportunity to add an elite nickel corner with the ability to play all over at his price range and age. I don't even hesitate to offer up the 1st. This isn't a Khalil Mack situation where you lose cap space AND draft capital. You view Fitzpatrick as your 2020 1st round pick that provides immediate impact and has 3 years left (plus his option). 

This is a no-brainer to me as well.

Edited by beekay414