The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

I think some of you guys are now getting greedy wanting to acquire Fitzpatrick. Our DB situation is pretty good. Looking back at the last 3 Bears meetings and how they just destroyed and disrupted our offense with that front seven makes it imperative to use our draft capital on the OL. I wouldn't be mad if they double dipped on the OL in the 1st and 2nd.  I want a Dallas type OL in GB. Big nasty guys who will pancake Mack and his cronies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

You can do that in the 2nd via trade up if necessary. We're not going to get Thomas, Little, Adams or Jackson so why reach on Wirfs or the like? After those 4, I don't see a 1st round tackle unless Isaiah Wilson goes pro. Would rather trade the 2020 1st for Minkah Fitzpatrick and then trade up from our 2nd to land a RT if we need to. 

The ONLY way I invest in a first round OT is if one of the premium guys falls in our range and we move up for him. Other than that, I'd wait til day 2 due to the depth of the class.

I'm lukewarm on drafting an Tackle in the first round, but if I were dead set on picking a Tackle in the first I would make this argrument:

Bulaga was a top-15, if not a top-10 lock until draft night when all of a sudden he wasn't. Walter Football had him going 5 to KC in that draft and Fox Sports had him going 9 to the Bills. Remember Andre Dillard being a lock at 7 to Jacksonville or Cincy at 11? Remember how both teams passed on him and he fell to Philly(who desperately needed him)? OL tend to fall because other skill players or non linemen fly up the boards at the last minute.

Here's an interesting point as well: Going from the 2013 to the 2017 draft you see guys that have either busted or have had to switch to Guard like Ereck Flowers, Brandon Scherff, Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Luke Joeckel, and even Eric Fisher to a fault. Again, that's just going back to 2013 from 2017. Remember Andre Smith, the guy picked almost 10 spots before Bulaga? How about the three guys who went top-10 in 2009?

The point is that the premium guys will probably fall unless a team falls in love with them the way Tennessee fell in love with Lewan and Conklin, for example. 

1 minute ago, St Vince said:

I think some of you guys are now getting greedy wanting to acquire Fitzpatrick. Our DB situation is pretty good. Looking back at the last 3 Bears meetings and how they just destroyed and disrupted our offense with that front seven makes it imperative to use our draft capital on the OL. I wouldn't be mad if they double dipped on the OL in the 1st and 2nd.  I want a Dallas type OL in GB. Big nasty guys who will pancake Mack and his cronies.

We have two elite tackles and a very good center. We just wrote a big contract for one guard and spent a high draft pick on the other.

Other than a first round pick to replace Bulaga (which is the most likely first pick in this coming draft) where are you looking to draft these dudes at? Are you going to draft a Center high on the very small chance that you can upgrade Linsley? Are you going to cut or bench Turner?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I'm lukewarm on drafting an Tackle in the first round, but if I were dead set on picking a Tackle in the first I would make this argrument:

Bulaga was a top-15, if not a top-10 lock until draft night when all of a sudden he wasn't. Walter Football had him going 5 to KC in that draft and Fox Sports had him going 9 to the Bills. Remember Andre Dillard being a lock at 7 to Jacksonville or Cincy at 11? Remember how both teams passed on him and he fell to Philly(who desperately needed him)? OL tend to fall because other skill players or non linemen fly up the boards at the last minute.

Here's an interesting point as well: Going from the 2013 to the 2017 draft you see guys that have either busted or have had to switch to Guard like Ereck Flowers, Brandon Scherff, Greg Robinson, Jake Matthews, Luke Joeckel, and even Eric Fisher to a fault. Again, that's just going back to 2013 from 2017. Remember Andre Smith, the guy picked almost 10 spots before Bulaga? How about the three guys who went top-10 in 2009?

The point is that the premium guys will probably fall unless a team falls in love with them the way Tennessee fell in love with Lewan and Conklin, for example. 

Is there a premium position that drafts better by percentage than Tackle?

14 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'd love that too, but our offense is night-n-day compared to theirs TBH. They pound to set up the pass. We're the other way around as long as Aaron is here.

8 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We have two elite tackles and a very good center. We just wrote a big contract for one guard and spent a high draft pick on the other.

Other than a first round pick to replace Bulaga (which is the most likely first pick in this coming draft) where are you looking to draft these dudes at? Are you going to draft a Center high on the very small chance that you can upgrade Linsley? Are you going to cut or bench Turner?

...and with that pick(as long as he pans out), we could say the OL is set for a few years barring major injuries.

Personally, I still thinking sending a 2nd or 3rd with Josh Jackson is the way to go. We haven't seen Jackson really develop while Chandon Sullivan and Tony Brown have shown some flashes. 

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Is there a premium position that drafts better by percentage than Tackle?

Define premium position. If you're going skill positions, definitely RB when one has been selected in the first over the past 5 years sparing Rashan Penny who was a massive reach. CB has had a fair amount of success as well.

Edited by Joe

21 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'd love that too, but our offense is night-n-day compared to theirs TBH. They pound to set up the pass. We're the other way around as long as Aaron is here.

...and with that pick(as long as he pans out), we could say the OL is set for a few years barring major injuries.

Personally, I still thinking sending a 2nd or 3rd with Josh Jackson is the way to go. We haven't seen Jackson really develop while Chandon Sullivan and Tony Brown have shown some flashes. 

Define premium position. If you're going skill positions, definitely RB when one has been selected in the first over the past 5 years sparing Rashan Penny who was a massive reach. CB has had a fair amount of success as well.

QB, OT, DE, 3T, CB

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Nagler's not a fan..........

Aaron Nagler: Guys, the Dolphins want a premium pick. Stop with this. Also, I hate how many of you are eager to ship Jackson out already.

Is he reading this forum? There is a reason Fitzpatrick was drafted where he was in round 1 and Jackson fell to round 2. A lot of it was Jackson's 40 time, but Fitzpatrick is a stud IMO. 

2 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

I didn’t like Jackson before we drafted him and he’s done nothing to change my mind. Frankly recouping anything on him at this point I’d consider a positive I just don’t see it. 

I'm not ready to give up on Jackson - but if he's critical to getting a deal or not - I'd move him.
I'd prefer he stay and offer depth as he develops his game.

MIA might not be looking for Jackson in so much as it appears they're looking for a S/hybridLB.

Edited by Leader

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I'm not ready to give up on Jackson - but if he's critical to getting a deal or not - I'd move him.
I'd prefer he stay and offer depth as he develops his game.

He’d be great if he was quick enough to get his hands near the ball. He’s just not though. Ball skills have always been there I just don’t think you can change his COD skills. 

59 minutes ago, Leader said:

Aaron Nagler: Guys, the Dolphins want a premium pick. Stop with this. Also, I hate how many of you are eager to ship Jackson out already.

Okay I’m not a big fan of this Minkah idea, although there are arguments to be made for it—most notably GB’s purported interest in him at draft time a year ago.

So, hypothetically, it doesn’t make sense to rip on the idea of giving up a premium pick if you can pick up a young premium player with time left on his rookie deal that the team really wants  

Not wanting to give up on Jackson is another issue entirely. The locker room might want him. He may find his niche given time. 

2 hours ago, St Vince said:

I agree with this.  OT has to be at the top of the list in order of needs going into next year.  We need to get some depth with the potential to start if necessary.  Still wouldn't object to shipping a 2 out to land Fitz.   Concerned about Bak.  Great OT but backs are a *****.  Wish I knew more about his condition.  Very concerned about him.  Bulaga is also awesome but how much longer will he go?  Keep in mind it doesn't always have to be a 1st we scored Bak in the 4th.

Edited by Scoremore

The problem with waiting on Jackson is that his spot is a complete luxury, and if we were to trade for Fitz that would become even more the case. Josh isnt a gunner, not a returner and isnt one of the 7 best DBs. We can only carry so many, so you're either cutting a guy who plays teams or, in these scenarios, you move the one guy who might have some value to a team who may have valued him during the draft.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Nagler unsurprisingly is missing the obvious point that Fitz is a 2nd year player who 17 months ago the Packers were willing to use a top 10 pick for if they had one. But because it's 17 months later,  we can't give up a precious day 2 pick in 2020....Lmao. 

• Like 3