The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

I know its early and Gary looked like he got a few more snaps today than last week but still seems like they are taking it pretty slow with him which is fine given his age. With that being said, when Z Smith went down shortly in the game, it really made me think about how devastating it might be to lose one of the Smiths and have to rely on Fackrell and Gary for a long period of time. Not to mention, the amount of snaps the Smiths are playing isn't sustainable. 

I am not sure how many snaps they would want Fadol Brown to take at edge, if this guy is healthy, how much money he wants, if he would be okay with being the 4th or 5th guy in a rotation, if it would hurt Garys development, but I know Nick Perry is still sitting out there. He might not be healthy or might not have the ability to football well but if those things aren't true, I wouldn't hate having him on the team just as some insurance in case one of the Smiths got banged up or even as a guy who could at least give the Smiths some rest and set the edge. He might not give much in the pass rush department but has been in Pettines system and could still be alright in the run game. 

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

I started with Jackson and a 2nd and that is as high as i could go. I hate, absolutely hate giving up 1st round picks. 

Perhaps I'm foolish, but I'd give our 1st and Jackson for Fitz and say a 4th round pick. 3 years left on his rookie deal, ably can fill the slot, where Tramon is a backup as he should be at this point. I understand others think it is too early to give up on Jackson--they may be right. But Fitz is just proven to be the real deal, whereas Jackson is still a big question mark. 

7 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Perhaps I'm foolish, but I'd give our 1st and Jackson for Fitz and say a 4th round pick. 3 years left on his rookie deal, ably can fill the slot, where Tramon is a backup as he should be at this point. I understand others think it is too early to give up on Jackson--they may be right. But Fitz is just proven to be the real deal, whereas Jackson is still a big question mark. 

Let's look ahead. If Bulaga doesn't return, who do you want ? Fitz or a 1st Round OT to protect Rodgers ?

8 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Let's look ahead. If Bulaga doesn't return, who do you want ? Fitz or a 1st Round OT to protect Rodgers ?

For starters, I don't want to be pigeonholed into drafting a guy to start at RT. Secondly, I'm sure Gute has a plan for RT between Bulaga returning, Turner shifting over, and/or Light slotting in there. Obviously that could change depending on FA and whoever's available in the draft, but right now if you're asking me would I trade our 1st for Minkah Fitzpatrick, the answer is yes. I'll let Gute figure out the right tackle position later.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Considering we're talking about RT prospects, I'd rather have Fitzpatrick. RT prospects typically fall in the draft and we'll more than likely be able to land a decent one in the 2nd or even 3rd. Prime example would be someone like Yasir Durant, Lucas Niang or Calvin Throckmorton. All guys that are RT only types that will almost assuredly be available on day 2. I'd rather have a proven 22 year old versatile defensive back on a cheap deal with a 5th year option and one of those tackles than investing a 1st into Brandon Wirfs and relying on Tramon Williams or Tony Brown to be consistently good in our defense.

If we can use our 1st and Josh Jackson to land Fitzpatrick and, say, Tennessee's 4th, we're fine heading into the 2020 draft. 

Not too mention, what if every 1st round grade OT is off the board before we pick and the price to move up to secure one is ridiculous? What then? Trade back to the 2nd and take one of the guys I mentioned anyways? Yeah, give me the elite nickel corner over the "what if" right tackle.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

For starters, I don't want to be pigeonholed into drafting a guy to start at RT. Secondly, I'm sure Gute has a plan for RT between Bulaga returning, Turner shifting over, and/or Light slotting in there. Obviously that could change depending on FA and whoever's available in the draft, but right now if you're asking me would I trade our 1st for Minkah Fitzpatrick, the answer is yes. I'll let Gute figure out the right tackle position later.

Although I agree that we shouldn’t be pigeon holed into drafting a position (we’ve seen what purely need based drafting can do... Dix, Randall, King to an extent), I do think in general we need to save picks for offense. The last 3 skilled position players we used top 74 picks include Eddie Lacy and Randall Cobb. We need to acknowledge that;

-MVS should probably be a third or 4th option. He’s starting.

- GMO, Kumerow, etc are all jags

- JImmy G is getting cut this offseason

-J Williams is very much replaceable. In the modern nfl you need 2 backs that can play

-OT will be a need next year (maybe we ride out Bulaga until he dies like Clif and Tauscher)

The reality is AR at 35+ or a scheme is going to have trouble putting up more than 20 points in a given week with what we have right now:

I totally respect the counterargument against trading a 1st for Fitz that the Packers need to add offensive skill players (TE and WR) in next year's draft. However, what sways me toward wanting Fitz is that getting a talented and relatively proven slot corner with 3 years left on his rookie deal is just such a BARGAIN if all it takes is a mid-to-late first rnd pick and say a player like Jackson or low round draft pick. I still do it, especially if Miami is willing to throw in a 4th or 5th rnd pick. But again, I totally see the rationale (replenish offense) why others wouldn't. 

Edited by DWhitehurst

4 hours ago, Lodestar said:

If the plan after 2019 is to let Bulaga go, then you ARE pigeonholed into taking a starting level RT in the first or second round (probably the first). The step down in talent from Bulaga to Turner or Light would be huge, too big when you have a 35-and-getting-older QB to protect. Gute has to plan ahead, he can't rely on 'figuring it out later' because he'd then be looking at a lost season, when AR goes down.

If, on the other hand, they roll with Bulaga for another season or three, then the RT can be addressed a little later in the draft, or even in the following year.

I'd also disagree with @beekay414 that a tackle is less important than a safety. If there is a solid value pick for both a tackle and a safety when the picks comes around, I would take the tackle. It's a more important position, especially when your QB is ageing.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If the plan after 2019 is to let Bulaga go, then you ARE pigeonholed into taking a starting level RT in the first or second round (probably the first). The step down in talent from Bulaga to Turner or Light would be huge, too big when you have a 35-and-getting-older QB to protect. Gute has to plan ahead, he can't rely on 'figuring it out later' because he'd then be looking at a lost season, when AR goes down.

If, on the other hand, they roll with Bulaga for another season or three, then the RT can be addressed a little later in the draft, or even in the following year.

I'd also disagree with @beekay414 that a tackle is less important than a safety. If there is a solid value pick for both a tackle and a safety when the picks comes around, I would take the tackle. It's a more important position, especially when your QB is ageing.

Since when have the Packers been pigeonholed into taking OL early? The Packers are VERY good at finding good OL in the draft when it's outside of the first two rounds. They are absolutely no way shape or form forced to take a RT in either of those rounds. What they're forced to do is trust their scouting department and the work they put in throughout the year and let it take shape. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less.

• Like 3

If players are available on the Dolphins why not see if Gisecki can be had? And is there a receiver on that team who is that quick shifty get seperation guy who runs crisp precise routes? The idea of having Minka locked down for a few years is great but these seem like bigger needs at the moment to me. I also feell ike Rosen might be good if he just had a decent team around him.

9 minutes ago, Reaper said:

If players are available on the Dolphins why not see if Gisecki can be had? And is there a receiver on that team who is that quick shifty get seperation guy who runs crisp precise routes? The idea of having Minka locked down for a few years is great but these seem like bigger needs at the moment to me. I also feell ike Rosen might be good if he just had a decent team around him.

Our WRs will come around. I'll be interested to see the offense function against a team that doesnt have a top notch rush.

No preseason - then begin the regular against two teams with top five pass rushes (?) - and we (AR) survive with two wins? 

I'll take it.

One of our DBs is gonna get hurt. An ankle. Hammy. Groin. Its going to happen. Having a plug and play talent like Minka around?

Do it Gute.