The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Has Minkah Fitzpatrck actually graded out as an elite nickel?  He played in nearly all the defensive snaps this week, but was at 63% last week.

There were far too many if's ands or buts in his scenario anyway. OT isn't sexy so fans want to push it down the priority list or think they are a dime a dozen in the 5th round.

41 minutes ago, Joe said:

Welp, this is where we are...

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/09/nfl-trade-rumors-latest-on-dolphins-minkah-fitzpatrick.html

I still want to do Josh Jackson and a 2nd given that Jackson had a first round grade on him going into the draft, but...

I really want the guy.  I'd part with a 1st for him.  He's a really good young player with superstar potential, and he's locked in for a few more seasons.  He an ultimate chess piece for Pettine.  With Rodgers getting up in age I'm all about making our defense a powerhouse.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Considering we're talking about RT prospects, I'd rather have Fitzpatrick. RT prospects typically fall in the draft and we'll more than likely be able to land a decent one in the 2nd or even 3rd. Prime example would be someone like Yasir Durant, Lucas Niang or Calvin Throckmorton. All guys that are RT only types that will almost assuredly be available on day 2. I'd rather have a proven 22 year old versatile defensive back on a cheap deal with a 5th year option and one of those tackles than investing a 1st into Brandon Wirfs and relying on Tramon Williams or Tony Brown to be consistently good in our defense.

If we can use our 1st and Josh Jackson to land Fitzpatrick and, say, Tennessee's 4th, we're fine heading into the 2020 draft. 

Not too mention, what if every 1st round grade OT is off the board before we pick and the price to move up to secure one is ridiculous? What then? Trade back to the 2nd and take one of the guys I mentioned anyways? Yeah, give me the elite nickel corner over the "what if" right tackle.

Hmm...did we not just see Tytus Howard and Kaleb McGary go in the first round this past draft?  Mike McGlinchey went 9th overall and there were real concerns about whether or not he could play LT.  In that same draft, we saw Isaiah Wynn who was viewed as RT/OG go in the first round.  OL are always at a premium.  Always.

2 hours ago, spilltray said:

DB is up there. It's all about where you choose to draw the line. I include DB in my "premiums".

It's in the next tier down.  They're only as effective as the pass rush is.  Can anyone name any DB the Vikings suited up when they had Jared Allen lining up as a DE?  I couldn't outside of Antoine Winfield, and they fielded a pretty good defense.

16 minutes ago, cannondale said:

There were far too many if's ands or buts in his scenario anyway. OT isn't sexy so fans want to push it down the priority list or think they are a dime a dozen in the 5th round.

Agree with the first part.  OT is #1 need going into next year IMO.  No guarantee a high round OT will perform either.  Packers have had luck drafting quality OL in the later rounds.  This is true.  Finding another BAK in the 4th is pretty unlikely.  However take a few bites at the apple and it will increase our chances.  Doesn't have to come in the first round or even the 2nd for that matter.  Spriggs busted out and that is unfortunate.  We need some guys to develop behind Bak and Bulaga.  If BB isn't on the team next year we'll be looking for a starter and will likely have to burn that high pick.  If both starting tackles return think we will have the luxury of taking a couple of bites in the later rounds and give them time to develop.  Regardless of needs Minkah would be a fine addition if the price is right.  2nd and a player...

Just now, Scoremore said:

Agree with the first part.  OT is #1 need going into next year IMO.  No guarantee a high round OT will perform either.  Packers have had luck drafting quality OL in the later rounds.  This is true.  Finding another BAK in the 4th is pretty unlikely.  However take a few bites at the apple and it will increase our chances.  Doesn't have to come in the first round or even the 2nd for that matter.  Spriggs busted out and that is unfortunate.  We need some guys to develop behind Bak and Bulaga.  If BB isn't on the team next year we'll be looking for a starter and will likely have to burn that high pick.  If both starting tackles return think we will have the luxury of taking a couple of bites in the later rounds and give them time to develop.  Regardless of needs Minkah would be a fine addition if the price is right.  2nd and a player...

Just like QB, you usually get what you pay for as far as OT is concerned. We are past the point of finding guys to develop. We need guys to play immediately assuming Bulaga leaves. 

What I find hilarious is the posts that say we need to help Rodgers by building a defense but not by providing quality OT's.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Let's do this exercise again.  How many players that were drafted by the Packers received a 3rd contract from the Packers?

A few I would have to go check. Driver, hawk, AR , Crosby I think. There is likley a few more. Not saying it will happen it’s possible I doubt it seeing last year they asked him to take a pay cut. But he is playing very well. Or Billy Turner was brought in for this a year early. 

7 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

A few I would have to go check. Driver, hawk, AR , Crosby I think. There is likley a few more. Not saying it will happen it’s possible I doubt it seeing last year they asked him to take a pay cut. But he is playing very well. Or Billy Turner was brought in for this a year early. 

Should have been a bit more clear.  Since Ted Thompson took over, how many Packers-drafted players signed 3 contract?  By my count, it was 4.  AJ Hawk, Aaron Rodgers, Mason Crosby, and Jordy Nelson.  Of those four, only Aaron Rodgers and Mason Crosby is saw the entirety of their contract.  Hawk was released twice.  Jordy Nelson got released partially through his 3rd contract.

2 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Good point but we have nothing behind Bulaga.  Might not have a choice in this case.  

Except the Packers have never operated under that mentality.  They'll either find his replacement or roll with Alex Light instead of overpaying for Bryan Bulaga.

11 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Just like QB, you usually get what you pay for as far as OT is concerned. We are past the point of finding guys to develop. We need guys to play immediately assuming Bulaga leaves. 

What I find hilarious is the posts that say we need to help Rodgers by building a defense but not by providing quality OT's.

We have 2 quality OT's right now.  Unfortunately nothing behind them.  Cliffy was a 2nd rounder.  Taucher was a 7th.  Bak was a 4th.  You don't always have to burn a #1 just saying.  Anyway next years draft should be more offense orientated.  WR, TE, OT, RB and QB all are high up the list of needs.  OT is my biggest concern though.  We will need to take a couple of shots in next years draft IMO.