The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Every single thing you said is wrong. Plug and play tackles are everywhere. I suggest you check the playing time of the OT's taken in last year's draft alone. Every single First Round OT is either a starter or played in both games except Jonah Williams who is on IR. The Packers aren't spending  $10m a year on a FA OT.  Light is not a starter. 

Agree.  It's really tough to find quality OT's.  We've been really lucky in GB.  Bak pick was pure gold.  Ponied up for Bulaga but he has lived up to his draft status. Struck out on Sherrod and Spriggs.  Even if we burn a #1 next year there is no guarantee the player will work out either.  No we need to take multiple shots at this to make sure we find the right guys.  We would spend 10 mil/yr if it was the right OT in FA.  Usually teams if they have a quality starting OT won't let him get to FA anyway.

44 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Every single thing you said is wrong. Plug and play tackles are everywhere. I suggest you check the playing time of the OT's taken in last year's draft alone. Every single First Round OT is either a starter or played in both games except Jonah Williams who is on IR. The Packers aren't spending  $10m a year on a FA OT.  Light is not a starter. 

There were 4 1st round OTs taken and, IIRC, none of them have looked good. So, no, I don't consider that "plug and play." I see that as "we made an investment in you, so we're forced to play you." And you don't have to spend $10 Million to find a stopgap OT. Plus, we are getting WAY ahead of ourselves automatically assuming Bulaga is gone. If the front office was worried that he would leave, they would've addressed OT during last season's draft process when Dillard fell into their laps. Who said Light's not a starter? You? He's a developmental OT that has some upside. He's never going to be an all-pro but he'll be fine as a stop gap. I'm not worried about him at all.

Again, the 1st round isn't the only place you can find talent. 

Edited by beekay414

Just now, cannondale said:

Who said that ? You ?

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, that you disregarded the rest of the post. 

LIS, if we were so damn worried about Bulaga leaving, we would've addressed the OT spot when Andre Dillard fell into our laps TWICE last draft. But, ya know, y'all know better than Gute.

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

I really wouldn't want Dillard playing on the right side in an offense that ever wants to run the ball.

Which is part of my point earlier. Left tackles are at a premium in the 1st round, not RT. Yeah sure, McGary got taken and Isaiah Wynn got taken in the 1st but the Pats believed Wynn could play LT and the Falcons are just dumb with offensive lineman. We can get our future RT outside of the 1st round, that I'm certain of. 

12 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm shocked, absolutely shocked, that you disregarded the rest of the post. 

LIS, if we were so damn worried about Bulaga leaving, we would've addressed the OT spot when Andre Dillard fell into our laps TWICE last draft. But, ya know, y'all know better than Gute.

Drafting one next year gives a full 5 year value vs sitting a year

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I just absolutely despise the idea of pidgeonholing ourselves into drafting one position in the 1st. We have multiple avenues to explore regarding OT and it's not all day 1 of the 2020 NFL Draft. 

I despise many things. Doesn't mean they don't happen anyway. 

With the help of hindsight, I would have certainly despised a 1st and 2nd for a nickel corner

Edited by cannondale

Starting NFL Right Tackles by draft position
Arizona - Justin Murray (2016, UDFA)
Atlanta - Kaleb McGary (2019 - 1.31)
Baltimore - Orlando Brown (2018 - 3.83)
Buffalo - Cody Ford (2019, 2.38)
Carolina - Taylor Moton (2017, 2.64)
Chicago - Bobby Massie (2012, 4.112)
Cincinnati - Bobby Hart (2015, 7.226) - Jonah Williams on IR (2019, 1.11)
Cleveland - Chris Hubbard (2013, UDFA)
Dallas - La'el Collins (2015, UDFA) - 1st round prospect; fell because of unwarranted off field stuff
Denver - Ja'Wuan James (2014, 1.19)
Detroit - Rick Wagner (2013, 5.168)
Green Bay - Bryan Bulaga (2010, 1.23)
Houston - Seantrel Henderson (2014, 7.237)
Indianapolis - Braden Smith (2018, 2.37)
Jacksonville - Jawaan Taylor (2019, 2.35)
Kansas City - Mitchell Schwartz (2012, 2.37)
Los Angeles Chargers - Sam Tevi (2017, 6.190)
Los Angeles Rams - Rob Havenstein (2015, 2.57)
Miami - Isaiah Prince (2019, 6.202)
Minnesota - Brian O'Neill (2018, 2.62)
New England - Marcus Cannon (2011, 5.138)
New Orleans - Ryan Ramczyk (2017, 1.32)
New York Giants - Mike Remmers (2012, UDFA)
New York Jets - Brandon Shell (2016, 5.158)
Oakland - Trent Brown (2015, 7.244)
Philadelphia - Lane Johnson (2013, 1.4)
Pittsburgh - Matt Feiler (2014, UDFA)
Seattle - Germain Ifedi (2016, 1.31)
San Francisco - Mike McGlinchey (2018, 1.9)
Tampa Bay - Demar Dotson (2009, UDFA)
Tennessee - Jack Conklin (2016, 1.8)
Washington - Morgan Moses (2014, 3.66)

A whopping EIGHT starting NFL right tackles were selected in the 1st round. Definitely gotta make sure we pidgeonhole ourselves into taking our future RT in the 1st!

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

A whopping EIGHT starting NFL right tackles were selected in the 1st round. Definitely gotta make sure we pidgeonhole ourselves into taking our future RT in the 1st!

And before anyone gets bent outta shape, the only borderline elite 1st round RT that we would've had a shot at was Ryan Ramczyk. The rest were all taken top 10 or before we picked. 

Just now, Norm said:

It was though? Like I know it wasn't for them, but it would have been for us.

How do you figure? The 2nd and 3rd picks the Steelers sent out were 5ths and 6ths and they got back a 4th. Yeah, there's a decent shot it's top 10 but the difference between their pick and our pick isn't 3 friggin' rounds.

13 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Good thing that wasn't the cost but you do you.

Ben is injured. That Steelers pick could be valued as high as in the 1300 range. The Packers pick looks like it may be worth 740 or less. which means our second round pick could be in the ballpark of 340. So yeah. Do the math

• Like 1

I would of loved Fitz but at what point would it be minimal gains for GB? They have invested so much into the Secondary over the last three years. 2 firsts and 3 seconds... with Josh Jones already out. Plus Amos with a healthy FA deal.

We aren’t keeping all and at some point it becomes the WR group all over again and we are not able to have a “balanced” roster. With everything invested in a side of the ball and a specific position group.

It would make sense if we didn’t have Alexander or King. Currently as constructed and without saying “what if injuries...” Fitz would of been a luxury. Something I don’t think GB can afford.

• Like 1