The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

12 minutes ago, cannondale said:

And this is a good thing ? Always sad to see how some of societies most basic principles are bypassed without a care in the world and the word "just" makes it ok. 

Never said it was a good thing.  Rather that is "a" thing.  And a relatively new thing.  

14 minutes ago, Norm said:

IDK man. I know the NFL is a privilege or whatever but I'd be kind of annoyed if my job "traded" me and specifically wouldn't trade me to the best company lol. Is that a basic societal principle now?

Competition and winning has always been a basic principle.

Here's a novel idea. Play out the contract that you happily signed and then go wherever you want. 

Edited by cannondale

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Disagree. Based soley on the helmet/feet issues, OAK was under no compulsion to trade AB. I suspect they knew the other stuff was coming down the pike - suspected league intervention - and decided to cut bait before they got on the hook for the guaranteed money. 

If this had occurred AFTER AB was due his cash i.e. the guarantee had kicked in - their decision may very well have been different - regardless of what AB and/or his "social media consultants" said or advised on instagram, twitter etc. 

The contracts got the clout. In the court of law - twitter posts have no standing.    

They do in the court of law.  (Not sure how this came about, quite the spin there.) But in the court of public perception, they do.  And we live in the age of public perception.

I was eating breakfast when Chris Simms reported that Jamaal Adams "unfollowed" the Jets on social media.  This was headline news.

It is crazy to me that something like "unfollowing" your team is national news.  But that's how far social media has come.

Taco Charlton said something like "Free Me".  Yep, that's it.  I goggled Taco Charlton social media posts.  That wasn't a thing 10 years ago.  You know what else I found, another Taco post, "Trust me the last thing I want to do is to go to social media to get what I want so I can play football again."  

That platform has given new voice to the player.  Everything used to be behind the scenes.  That landscape has changed.  

We are in the era of player empowerment. The NBA has drastically changed since LeBron's decision with superstar players forcing their way onto teams of their choice. Some NFL players have tried this, either successfully or unsuccessfully, and more will in the future. 

For instance Jalen Ramsey, ala Anthony Davis, demands a trade and lists his desired destinations (Vegas or Nashville). Clowney essentially blows up a trade to Miami by saying he won't sign an extension there. 

The big difference is the contract structure of both leagues. NFL teams have much more to lose (dead cap) by bending to player's wishes. So unless a highly paid player goes completely nuclear like AB and destroys their public image they will have a hard time forcing trades. 

Players on rookie deals (Ramsey, Jamal Adams, Minkah) or on the franchise tag (Clowney) will be much more successful. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Competition and winning has always been a basic principle.

Here's a novel idea. Play out the contract that you happily signed and then go wherever you want. 

Not in this specific case but in general, you can be happy to play out your contract and still get traded. But yeah he signed the extension and ****.. I'm not defending AB but this isn't this perfect "principled" system from either side. 

Hell, I think the draft is bull**** even lol

14 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

We are in the era of player empowerment. The NBA has drastically changed since LeBron's decision with superstar players forcing their way onto teams of their choice. Some NFL players have tried this, either successfully or unsuccessfully, and more will in the future. 

For instance Jalen Ramsey, ala Anthony Davis, demands a trade and lists his desired destinations (Vegas or Nashville). Clowney essentially blows up a trade to Miami by saying he won't sign an extension there. 

The big difference is the contract structure of both leagues. NFL teams have much more to lose (dead cap) by bending to player's wishes. So unless a highly paid player goes completely nuclear like AB and destroys their public image they will have a hard time forcing trades. 

Players on rookie deals (Ramsey, Jamal Adams, Minkah) or on the franchise tag (Clowney) will be much more successful. 

Unfortunately, the players don't care if the leagues crumble under it's own weight. Players have been eyeing the goings on in the NBA for a while now. The NBA is running itself into the ground because of all the "freedoms." From an increasingly irrelevant draft due to eligibility at age 12 or whatever it's dropped to now, to players being allowed to choose beaches and babes on a whim. If you take away the competitive balance, it no longer qualifies as a sport in my eyes.

Edited by cannondale

13 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

They do in the court of law.  (Not sure how this came about, quite the spin there.) But in the court of public perception, they do.  And we live in the age of public perception.

I was eating breakfast when Chris Simms reported that Jamaal Adams "unfollowed" the Jets on social media.  This was headline news.

It is crazy to me that something like "unfollowing" your team is national news.  But that's how far social media has come.

Taco Charlton said something like "Free Me".  Yep, that's it.  I goggled Taco Charlton social media posts.  That wasn't a thing 10 years ago.  You know what else I found, another Taco post, "Trust me the last thing I want to do is to go to social media to get what I want so I can play football again."  

That platform has given new voice to the player.  Everything used to be behind the scenes.  That landscape has changed.  

Contracts have clout over clickbait.

Jamaal Adams situation: clickbait.
Taco Charlton situation: clickbait.

The teams. The contracts have the power to decide the player transaction or not. Not clickbait.

Taco Charton would have been more honest if he (or his agent) had gone to the DAL FO and said: "Hey listen, I'm not good enough to cut thru the guys you've got ahead of me....so why not release me and let me try elsewhere?"

In essence - thats the decision DAL was faced with. Cutting a guy that (for whatever reason) had no shot on their active roster - or holding him in case of injury, defensive / special teams need....or whatever - but make no mistake: it was the teams decision. Taco could have gone on tweeting his life away - but the team held the cards.

Or better yet - perhaps Taco should offer and become the Agent for Melvin Gordon....or Trent Williams. Perhaps using his "enhanced social media skills" he could get them released or the bump in pay they seek.

3 minutes ago, Norm said:

Not in this specific case but in general, you can be happy to play out your contract and still get traded. But yeah he signed the extension and ****.. I'm not defending AB but this isn't this perfect "principled" system from either side. 

Hell, I think the draft is bull**** even lol

Total freedom means half the NFL teams go belly up because no one chooses to play for Green Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. The players don't care about such trivial things 

2 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Total freedom means half the NFL teams go belly up because no one chooses to play for Green Bay, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. The players don't care about such trivial things 

1/4 of the teams in the league have gone 13+ years since a playoff win. The league can handle a continual subset of terrible franchises just fine.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

1/4 of the teams in the league have gone 13+ years since a playoff win. The league can handle a continual subset of terrible franchises just fine.

Because the league is still a sport. The playing field is equal. Fans blame the management, coaches, etc. and rightly so.

That's worlds apart from being a free for all and hence not a sport and fans knowing their team will never win because of a geographical location. 

Edited by cannondale

9 minutes ago, Leader said:

Contracts have clout over clickbait.

Jamaal Adams situation: clickbait.
Taco Charlton situation: clickbait.

The teams. The contracts have the power to decide the player transaction or not. Not clickbait.

Taco Charton would have been more honest if he (or his agent) had gone to the DAL FO and said: "Hey listen, I'm not good enough to cut thru the guys you've got ahead of me....so why not release me and let me try elsewhere?"

In essence - thats the decision DAL was faced with. Cutting a guy that (for whatever reason) had no shot on their active roster - or holding him in case of injury, defensive / special teams need....or whatever - but make no mistake: it was the teams decision. Taco could have gone on tweeting his life away - but the team held the cards.

Or better yet - perhaps Taco should offer and become the Agent for Melvin Gordon....or Trent Williams. Perhaps using his "enhanced social media skills" he could get them released or the bump in pay they seek.

Dude, you are digging yourself a hole here.

Taco's situation wasn't clickbait.  He legitimately wanted out and used social media to get him out.  That isn't clickbait.  That is a fair assessment of what went down.  How it got to that point?  That's what we don't know, but we can guess that the Cowboys didn't feel like he was a fit for them.  And since they weren't playing him, he got his wish to be released.  Funny how he didn't until he amped up that social media stuff.

Jamaal Adams clickbait?  Don't think so.  It is a real thing.  Not a made up thing, he unfollowed the Jets.  After he was benched.  That's a fact.  Not a spin and not clickbait.

Was it clickbait when a reporter said that Miami players wanted out?  Sure doesn't look like it.

You've got a number of players, some with NFL star reputations, some without, that have been using social media as a platform.  

My only stance here is that this is a relatively new thing and it appears like it is giving a little more control to the players than they had prior to the rise of social media.

If you don't want to accept social media as a thing, or quickly dismiss it as "clickbait", then stay away from every thread that has a reporter Tweeting information for us.  And stop quoting anything on your NFL News thread that came from Twitter or any other social media outlet.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Unfortunately, the players don't care if the leagues crumble under it's own weight. Players have been eyeing the goings on in the NBA for a while now. The NBA is running itself into the ground because of all the "freedoms." From an increasingly irrelevant draft due to eligibility at age 12 or whatever it's dropped to now, to players being allowed to choose beaches and babes on a whim. If you take away the competitive balance, it no longer qualifies as a sport in my eyes.

Isn't the NBA more popular than ever? I don't watch it, but it's definitely not being run into the ground.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Dude, you are digging yourself a hole here.

Taco's situation wasn't clickbait.  He legitimately wanted out and used social media to get him out.  That isn't clickbait.  That is a fair assessment of what went down.  How it got to that point?  That's what we don't know, but we can guess that the Cowboys didn't feel like he was a fit for them.  And since they weren't playing him, he got his wish to be released.  Funny how he didn't until he amped up that social media stuff.

Jamaal Adams clickbait?  Don't think so.  It is a real thing.  Not a made up thing, he unfollowed the Jets.  After he was benched.  That's a fact.  Not a spin and not clickbait.

Was it clickbait when a reporter said that Miami players wanted out?  Sure doesn't look like it.

You've got a number of players, some with NFL star reputations, some without, that have been using social media as a platform.  

My only stance here is that this is a relatively new thing and it appears like it is giving a little more control to the players than they had prior to the rise of social media.

If you don't want to accept social media as a thing, or quickly dismiss it as "clickbait", then stay away from every thread that has a reporter Tweeting information for us.  And stop quoting anything on your NFL News thread that came from Twitter or any other social media outlet.

You're enamored with social media and lend it greater credence or power than it holds. In NFL FO's its the contract and assessment of the players value to the team that sways their decision.

18 minutes ago, cannondale said:

Of course it has to be this way, with the draft and no total freedom. But I still kinda hate that it has to be that way.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Isn't the NBA more popular than ever? I don't watch it, but it's definitely not being run into the ground.

It is more popular than ever . But I've read this narrative a ton the last few years. They don't like it so it HAS to be hurting.