The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I disagree.  I think a R1 OT could be plug 'n play.  Doesn't mean they wouldn't take their lumps, but I think you'd be overall pleased with them.  As for FA, you did just see the contract handed out to the FA OTs, right?  Trent Brown got 4/$66M from the Raiders, Ja'Wuan James got 4/$51M, etc.  Hell, even Matt Kalil got a 1 year, $7.5M deal.

Worst case we hold on to Lane for the last year of his deal and play Elgton at RG and kick Turner out to RT while our rookie was growing into an NFL player. I think OT is definitely a day 1-2 need.

I think we have room for 1 FA in the 8-12m range if we decide not to pay Blake. I'd be totally OK if Gute used that on Bulaga or a FA RT the caliber of a James.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I disagree.  I think a R1 OT could be plug 'n play.  Doesn't mean they wouldn't take their lumps, but I think you'd be overall pleased with them.  As for FA, you did just see the contract handed out to the FA OTs, right?  Trent Brown got 4/$66M from the Raiders, Ja'Wuan James got 4/$51M, etc.  Hell, even Matt Kalil got a 1 year, $7.5M deal.

Donald Penn got a 1 year/$2 Million deal. Mike Remmers got a 1 year/$2.5 Million deal. 

Stopgaps can be found and won't always cost a crap ton. Using guys who signed to be the long term hope isn't even remotely what I was talking about. 

We don't have to pidgeonhole ourselves into taking a tackle round 1. That's the point. Multiple avenues to address it. Take one day 2, develop him, sign a stopgap until he's ready. Boom. 

And, as I've said multiple times now, it's not even a guarantee that Bulaga leaves so worrying about this now is unnecessary. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

Stopgaps can be found and won't always cost a crap ton.

this front office isn't interested in stop gaps protecting The Franchise.
That's why Bell and McCray are gone, replaced with a 2nd rounder and a top flight FA. I think they'll go the same route at RT, no stop gaps

I appreciate your comments about plenty of avenues, but you can cross off  "cheep & available"  from that list.
Gute won't eff around at RT

5 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

this front office isn't interested in stop gaps protecting The Franchise.
That's why Bell and McCray are gone, replaced with a 2nd rounder and a top flight FA. I think they'll go the same route at RT, no stop gaps

I appreciate your comments about plenty of avenues, but you can cross off  "cheep & available"  from that list.
Gute won't eff around at RT

Nobody has said he will. A day 2 investment isn't being cheap or screwing around with RT. And, for the millionth time, it's not like we know what's going to happen with Bulaga. 

19 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Donald Penn got a 1 year/$2 Million deal. Mike Remmers got a 1 year/$2.5 Million deal. 

Stopgaps can be found and won't always cost a crap ton. Using guys who signed to be the long term hope isn't even remotely what I was talking about. 

We don't have to pidgeonhole ourselves into taking a tackle round 1. That's the point. Multiple avenues to address it. Take one day 2, develop him, sign a stopgap until he's ready. Boom. 

And, as I've said multiple times now, it's not even a guarantee that Bulaga leaves so worrying about this now is unnecessary. 

Neither one of those are potential long-term answers.  And the farther you get away from the top of the draft, the less likely you're to find a long-term answer.  Nobody is saying you have to draft an OT in Round 1, but if all things are equal you're taking an OT in the 1st round over another position.  OL is not a position you want to go cheap with.

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Nobody has said he will. A day 2 investment isn't being cheap or screwing around with RT. And, for the millionth time, it's not like we know what's going to happen with Bulaga. 

Realistically, what do you think happens with Bryan Bulaga?  As I've already mentioned, the list of players who have received 3rd contracts from the Packers is fairly short.  Do you think Bryan Bulaga is the exception?   He's playing as good as any OT in the NFL right now.  He's going to get paid.  The question is by whom.

Just now, CWood21 said:

That they chose two guys whom they valued more than Dillard.  Sure.

We know Gary was their #1 want according to Pettine and Mike Smith pressers. We also know via Gute that Savage was the #1 DB on their board. Doesn't mean we weren't interested in Dillard. Value could've been all in the same tier for all we know.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Neither one of those are potential long-term answers.  And the farther you get away from the top of the draft, the less likely you're to find a long-term answer.  Nobody is saying you have to draft an OT in Round 1, but if all things are equal you're taking an OT in the 1st round over another position.  OL is not a position you want to go cheap with.

Where, oh where, have I ever said any of that? Like, you guys are beating a drum that doesn't need to be beaten. 

9 current starting RTs were taken on day 2. 8 current starters were taken in the 1st. I've literally said day 2, in regards to addressing RT, a million times in this thread. I've never impled that Penn and Remmers are long term answer types. I clearly said stop gap while developing the RTotf when mentioning that avenue. Are people reading what's written or do they feel the need to beat that unnecessary drum?

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Neal Driscoll:  The Dolphins aren’t done. There is some interest in RB Kenyan Drake. Chargers, Titans, Packers and 49ers have discussed with Miami

i wonder how goodell feels about this. unabashedly tanking.

it's probably a smart move for Miami. Goal is to turn that thing over as much as you can.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Realistically, what do you think happens with Bryan Bulaga?  As I've already mentioned, the list of players who have received 3rd contracts from the Packers is fairly short.  Do you think Bryan Bulaga is the exception?   He's playing as good as any OT in the NFL right now.  He's going to get paid.  The question is by whom.

You're using what we did under Ted Thompson as your basis of our current thinking. We're not in the Ted Thompson era anymore so we have absolutely no clue what to expect from Gute and company at this point. We've had one offseason under his belt so let's stop pretending we know what his intentions are.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i wonder how goodell feels about this. unabashedly tanking. it's probably a smart move for Miami. Goal is to turn that thing over as much as you can.

I agree. It's a black eye for the league IMO.

Didnt realize it myself till last night when somebody posted the absolute draft pick HAUL MIA's been pulling down. Combined, these trades kick the Hershel Walker trade out the door regards the amount of talent that'll be heading MIA's way - or the trades an ingenious GM could figure / work out.

Still - the ***kickings will be season long and get ugly as the players make "career decisions" every time they put the uniform on.