The "Kick the Tires" Thread (Other Teams Cuts)

Packerraymond

6 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We know Gary was their #1 want according to Pettine and Mike Smith pressers. We also know via Gute that Savage was the #1 DB on their board. Doesn't mean we weren't interested in Dillard. Value could've been all in the same tier for all we know.

And that's what I was trying to get at.  If the value was similar, either need or positional value should have won out.  I think most of us would agree that the value of an OT outweighs that of a S, so that would argue that need won out ASSUMING both were valued similarly.

7 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Where, oh where, have I ever said any of that? Like, you guys are beating a drum that doesn't need to be beaten. 

9 current starting RTs were taken on day 2. 8 current starters were taken in the 1st. I've literally said day 2, in regards to addressing RT, a million times in this thread. I've never impled that Penn and Remmers are long term answer types. I clearly said stop gap while developing the RTotf when mentioning that avenue. Are people reading what's written or do they feel the need to beat that unnecessary drum?

How are the stopgaps working for the Vikings?  Or Bears?  Or any other team with a mediocre OL?

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's not obtuse.  They chose Savage and Gary instead of Dillard.  Ergo, they valued Savage and Gary more than Dillard.  Not a complex situation.

My point exactly. They didn't feel the need to address RT during the draft when 1st round grade tackles fell to them and went with what they perceived as BPA. That includes RT types like Jawaan Taylor. They don't need to pidgeonhole themselves into making draft picks and I trust the staff going forward. 

Edited by beekay414

I think placing a high value on OL in the draft is reasonable.  FA OL who are above replacement level are often unavailable or extremely expensive (and also not generally tackles.)  This is compounded by how most college offenses do not instill in offensive linemen the sorts of fundamentals they need to be good NFL OL.  So if you identify a guy who is a) good, and b) ready then you take him at value and feel good about it since those guys are rare.

A significant amount of the "passing on Dillard" can be explained by "he's not ready".

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Read the whole ******* post ffs lol

We don't have to pidgeonhole ourselves into taking a tackle round 1. That's the point. Multiple avenues to address it. Take one day 2, develop him, sign a stopgap until he's ready. Boom. 

God this forum blows ***

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Hes no different than Oakland 2006 Charles Woodson.

Chuck surely had some growing up to do in Green Bay but I don't see many similarities between he and Ramsey.  Woodson's issues with Callahan weren't just his issues, most of the team hated his guts.  This after all was a coach who claimed his Raiders team "the dumbest team in America".  Ramsey physically attacked his coach because he didn't throw a challenge flag.  I get emotion but that's being unstable and unmanageable.   

Ramsey is an attention hog that requires the spot light to be on him and only him.  He's a lot more like Antonio Brown than he is Woodson IMO.  

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think placing a high value on OL in the draft is reasonable.  FA OL who are above replacement level are often unavailable or extremely expensive (and also not generally tackles.)  This is compounded by how most college offenses do not instill in offensive linemen the sorts of fundamentals they need to be good NFL OL.  So if you identify a guy who is a) good, and b) ready then you take him at value and feel good about it since those guys are rare.

A significant amount of the "passing on Dillard" can be explained by "he's not ready".

And what about Taylor, Ford, Risner, etc. Aren't they all starting? They all went in that range that I said we should target our RTotf. Nowhere have I said not to value OT. 

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And what about Taylor, Ford, Risner, etc. Aren't they all starting? They all went in that range that I said we should target our RTotf. Nowhere have I said not to value OT. 

Well, Taylor has a degenerative knee, NFL people think he's a one contract guy.  Ford misses athleticism thresholds by a lot, and Risner is old.

• Like 1

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Is that better than sucking ?

There's exactly one person in this discussion with elevated blood pressure
See if you can guess who that is ...

Yeah, sure. Everyone thinks that but I'm here calm as **** behind the keyboard. Thinking you can interpret how someone feels based on writing on a sports forum is dumb. But, I'm used to it. When people say dumb **** or can't read entire posts, it's their go to move. Next time, up your reading comprehension before posting.

3 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Well, Taylor has a degenerative knee, NFL people think he's a one contract guy.  Ford misses athleticism thresholds by a lot, and Risner is old.

Everyone takes a different approach to the draft. Thus why I don't see the need to pidgeonhole ourselves into a certain pick. If all the quality OT prospects are off the board, I'm not reaching for someone like Throckmorton just because we think we need a RTotf. Either trade back or take BPA. Pidgeonholing ourselves into a pick before the draft or draft process even happens, is dumb.