Elway and the offense?

thebestever6

I was a part of the bashing of John Elway and his inability to get offensive players in the draft pool but then I got to thinking. Cj anderson, and paradis are his successes picking pick 20th or later.

Manning from 07 to the time he left the Colts on really received one premier player in Pierre Garcon. For the colts offenses we always view as juggernauts. We forget donald brown, and Anthony Garcia. This is just looking a team picking late.

Now lets look at New England since Edelman in 09' and Gronk in 2010. What have they drafted in the time frame since on offense? I argue not much and tom brady and that system make them more successful than the talent indicates. That's a big reason the traded for Cooks.

The Giants another team what have they drafted on offense since obj fell into their lap something we don't have the luxury of havent had a top 12 pick since 2011.

Steelers a team who is very good at finding offensive talent getting the fact that they pick so late every year they found. AB, Bell, and Martavuis Bryant. 3 big players in 7 years. Which is great it's probably the gold standard for picking later in the first. 

CJ Anderson wasn't even a draft pick. Paradis was a R7 steal. There is no way around Elway being TERRIBLE at drafting early round talents on offense. You can compare our drafts to other teams all day, doesn't change the results. Elway spent back-to-back-to-back R2 picks on Monte Ball-Cody Latimer-Ty Sambrailo. That's unacceptable any way you cut it. Hell, most had HUGE reservations on Ball and Ty and even Latimer was seen as a risky, one-year-wonder type.

You can blame Elway, the scouting team, luck, whatever. End game is this team doesn't draft enough offensive talent.

4 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

CJ Anderson wasn't even a draft pick. Paradis was a R7 steal. There is no way around Elway being TERRIBLE at drafting early round talents on offense. You can compare our drafts to other teams all day, doesn't change the results. Elway spent back-to-back-to-back R2 picks on Monte Ball-Cody Latimer-Ty Sambrailo. That's unacceptable any way you cut it. Hell, most had HUGE reservations on Ball and Ty and even Latimer was seen as a risky, one-year-wonder type.

You can blame Elway, the scouting team, luck, whatever. End game is this team doesn't draft enough offensive talent.

I have no choice but to agree. There is no other way to say it, Elway has been bad at drafting offense. Even this year, Bolles looks shaky in pass pro and is a penalty machine, Carlos Henderson struggled before he got hurt and Isiah McKenzie is a niche player. Butt was thought of as a steal, and I think he will a good starting TE for us for a long time, but that's really just conjecture at this point as he's yet to even dress for practice.  

10 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

What do people think of Elway's tenure as GM in general?

We've won a Superbowl so have to give credit for that, but putting that aside should it be considered a success?

Absolutely. Not many mistakes (although I think this is the shakiest offseason yet), but his drafting deserves to be criticized at this point. 

13 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Absolutely. Not many mistakes (although I think this is the shakiest offseason yet), but his drafting deserves to be criticized at this point. 

Correct.  Still a great GM overall but one who has his clear weakness (Day 2).   He's always learned from other mistakes (SEA schooling him, sticking with Fox once they were beyond rebuilding stage).   I've been an outspoken critic of his draft weaknesses but I'd still have faith he will learn.  

If anything I think he was an outstanding rebuild-the-team GM draft wise  then tinker-with-strong-team-but-keep-team-cap-healthy modes in FA/draft. He's had a tougher time with the retool needed with a good-but-not-great team, as he's clearly gone from BPA in the early years to reaching for need early.    Time will tell if he re-adjusts but history says he should as long as he is open to revisiting his mistakes and learning from them. All the best orgs and GMs do.  

I think that he is trending downwards each offseason but he has yet to make a disastrous blunder.

I will never stop repeating this but Elway is indescribably lucky that Brock was foolishly offered an insane amount by HOU. He was dying to railroad his legacy in Denver by giving Brock all that money and was bailed out.

He is still a top 8 executive, but I once had him firmly top 3 and now there is argument against that IMHO.

There is no doubt Elway has shown an ability to hit on offense in FA.  But his drafting has been downright terrible on that side of the ball.  At some point you have to hit on some picks if you want to compete on a yearly basis.  Denver's defense won't always be this good.

Elway's bread and butter has always been drafting defense and hitting FA home runs. But his abysmal offensive picks have taken us from a record setting offense in 2013 (albeit largely due to PFM) to one league's worst. I'd also say his coaching picks have been pretty damn spot on as well thus far. Time will have to tell with VJ though. 

Archived