New England trades CB Dawson to Denver

Hunter2_1

3 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Only ones that really panned out we're Chung and Eugene Wilson. 

And Chung was let go after his rookie contract and came back after joining the Eagles. Now he has a coke issue and is still battling injuries. Eugene Wilson was a failed/converted corner who had like one and half good seasons before basically having to end his career due to an injury.

Joejuan Williams, what can you do?

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Did Duke Dawson just suck? He seemed like he would be a pretty good slot CB.

Well he was on IR and then never active.  And the hammy issue should not affect his ceiling long term.  

I think it’s fair to say Dawson may have been a reach at 2.64.   But it’s also almost no price to see if he can be something.  So why not.   I do agree with the sentiment that hanging on to a guy that doesn’t fit your scheme comes at an opportunity cost so sometimes better to cut bait without sentiment.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Did Duke Dawson just suck? He seemed like he would be a pretty good slot CB.

His short stint with the Pats have more to do with the riches at the position in New England, considering they probably have the best and deepest overall Secondary in the league. He never even saw this field until this preseason. I have a feeling there were things the Patriots didn't like internally with him as he came off PUP mid last year and never saw the field. 

But he still has the on-field factor to prove himself. Thought he looked like his feisty self from his college days during the preseason. We'll see if he can put it together...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nex_Gen said:

His short stint with the Pats have more to do with the riches at the position in New England, considering they probably have the best and deepest overall Secondary in the league. He never even saw this field until this preseason. I have a feeling there were things the Patriots didn't like internally with him as he came off PUP mid last year and never saw the field. 

But he still has the on-field factor to prove himself. Thought he looked like his feisty self from his college days during the preseason. We'll see if he can put it together...

Plus let’s face it if a bunch of teams ask on Dawson the team with the lowest projected record in 2019 will have an advantage for biggest pick return.   It’s not hard to see us missing the playoffs and we are so thin everywhere a bottom is 5 finish is very possible depending on who we’d lose.   It’s not pretty but honest home team analysis says that’s how other teams likely view our 2019 chances.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, patman said:

They were certainly disappointments, but to my mind you can't call a guy who gets a 2nd contract a draft bust.  To me busts are guys who never get a 2nd deal. Wilson is in his 8th year. Butler played 9 years.  

This. The miss with them arguably was not drafting them, but not utilizing them properly and/or letting them go. 

11 hours ago, ET80 said:

You should fire him. And Caserio. Just destroy their contracts with fire. And let them interview anywhere.

We'll send you another one of our backup lineman if you let us interview him for assistant DC first. 

10 hours ago, SBLIII said:

what does that change?

I may be wrong, but I think it helped them win multiple Super Bowls. 

Bad 2nd round picks don’t matter by themselves.

Who cares if they got a bad 2nd rounder in 2000... they sure nailed round 6 that year.

Its like the Malcolm Butler turd flushing before the Super Bowl that got psychos claiming Bill threw the Super Bowl by sitting a CB who gave up a 100 passer rating when targeted, was sick, missed a plane, and may have had a bad attitude over his contract.

The man who picked Buffalo’s guy (Gilmore) over his own media darling (Butler) is an actual genius.

Gilmore and Butler”s replacement have defined the Patriots recent playoff success 

Think the deflected pass late in the Jax AFCCG and the incredible closing play in the end zone in the Super Bowl.

Anyone see how hideous Butler was in prime time against Amare Cooper?

Cooper is not a special player but 4 DBs sure made him look good in Dallas last year. 

One of those guys had fools attacking Belichick for not recognizing his greatness after LII.

when you try to point and laugh at a guy who has led teams/Ds to 12 Super Bowls... people are going to counter with reality:

Edited by SkippyX

8 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

And Chung was let go after his rookie contract and came back after joining the Eagles. Now he has a coke issue and is still battling injuries. Eugene Wilson was a failed/converted corner who had like one and half good seasons before basically having to end his career due to an injury.

Joejuan Williams, what can you do?

Chung was a perfect draft pick. He is the ultimate DO YOUR JOB guy who outplays his talent by fitting the team and the scheme.

Hes played in 22 playoff games, 5 Super Bowls; and has 3 rings on merit.

The Eagles overpaying him in a bad fit for one year does not invalidate the pick. He then went back home where he was picked.

How many other Patriots have played in 5 Super Bowls? How many people?

I am too much of a stat nerd to not answer my own question:

Brady (9+) 2001-20??

Gostkowski (6+) 2007-20??

Bruschi(5) 1996-2007

Light (5) 2001-2011

McCourty (5+) 2011-20??

Chung (5+) 2011-20??

Honorable Mention:

Viniatierri (5) 3 with NE

Gronk and Edelman are both at 4 due to injury

Troy Brown played in 3 but was a part of 5 teams.

Edited by SkippyX

Yeah Bill has FAR too much credit in the bank for anything to stick to him. He could literally submit an a-wipe for a ballot at every draft pick from now until he retires, and he'd still be the best coach, legend and franchise hero. He can literally do no wrong forever now, in our minds. 

Definitely is too obsessed with DBs at draft-time though....but anyway, like I said, we can't care - look what he's brought us. It's insane.

I would say that I think even Denver don't rate Dawson that highly considering what they've given up for him. A 6th only. Doesn't scream "our guy" does it

6 hours ago, SkippyX said:

Chung was a perfect draft pick. He is the ultimate DO YOUR JOB guy who outplays his talent by fitting the team and the scheme.

Hes played in 22 playoff games, 5 Super Bowls; and has 3 rings on merit.

The Eagles overpaying him in a bad fit for one year does not invalidate the pick. He then went back home where he was picked.

How many other Patriots have played in 5 Super Bowls? How many people?

So you're attributing all of their success to Chung who the Patriots didn't initially see the value in retaining when his rookie contract was over. My intention was to highlight that despite getting a second chance with the Patriots and taking advantage of it, Chung was also for a period of time considered a poor return on investment defensive back taken in the second round of the NFL draft - which is what the comment I quoted was focused on outlining.

7 hours ago, SkippyX said:

One of those guys had fools attacking Belichick for not recognizing his greatness after LII.

Butler played something like 95% of all defensive snaps that season all the way through the AFC Championship. The Patriots had very limited talented in the secondary without Butler playing. People attacked Belichick's decision-making not because they were defending Butler's "greatness", but because Butler wasn't used more than two snaps in a game where injuries dwindled down and impacted the talent of the secondary and it cost the team in all likelihood their best chance at success.

Edited by DoleINGout