Who will win league MVP?!?!

brownie man

This is a rather simplistic view, but I think probably accurate for the most part: There's a certain threshold for talent you must reach to be an all time great QB, but just reaching it guarantees nothing. Your coaching, health and teammates determine whether you end up with the legacy of an all time great or a Rich Gannon (still pretty great, but not quite a legend). 

10 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

But anyone who denies he benefits from that system, where he is getting so many more WIDE OPEN targets than anyone in the league and there isnt a close 2nd, is lying. It's ok to admit that.

I feel like I’ve seen him make enough plays when guys aren’t wide open to know that playing in a system that showcases his greatness isn’t the reason for his greatness.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Imagine trying to argue the reigning NFL MVP isn't that good despite his team winning by 2+ scores both games. The level of mental gymnastics it takes watch him play, and somehow convince yourself that he's not the best player in the league at this moment is probably more mindboggling than flat earthers and anti-vaxxers.

I mean I get it the guy was missing a lot of throws yesterday. But then the argument is he shouldve won by 30 instead of 18. I mean they're not wrong, but then that's why the Chiefs didn't really celebrate this win.

7 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Imagine thinking Travis Kelce isn't essentially a #1 receiver.

Him being the best Tight End in the league by extension makes him a number one Receiver, yes.

34 minutes ago, Dome said:

I feel like I’ve seen him make enough plays when guys aren’t wide open to know that playing in a system that showcases his greatness isn’t the reason for his greatness.

He benefits from it, but that doesn’t mean anyone could produce ultra efficient 5000 yards... MAYBE a couple of guys... maybe.

2 hours ago, Bearerofnews said:

Thats a better one. Or 5000 yds and 45 plus tds.  End of the day though, it is 1 season. Season 2, two games in he is picking up right where he left off. We'll see where it goes as season progresses. I do think Mahomes looks to be legit great. But anyone who denies he benefits from that system, where he is getting so many more WIDE OPEN targets than anyone in the league and there isnt a close 2nd, is lying. It's ok to admit that.

Also you won't find someone who overthrows more wide open receivers than Mahomes. Good thing for him is overthrows are fixable. Ive watched every Chiefs game, FULL game since Mahomes has been starter, except 2017 vs Broncos. I think most others are scoreboard watching or watching highlights and not seeing the high amount of wide open overthrows. IT'S a real thing. Sure,  it hasnt hurt him from having godly numbers.... that systems helps. What qbs wouldn't ball out throwing to so many wide open guys. Like 6 to 8 yds open. 

I’m confused by the “system” argument, is Andy Reed just that much of a superior offensive mind that in an extremely copy cat league no one else can “scheme” their receivers open that much?

What if Mahomes is just looking/throwing his receivers open? Is that even remotely possible?  

Edited by Mizter_Clean10

4 hours ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

I’m confused by the “system” argument, is Andy Reed just that much of a superior offensive mind that in an extremely copy cat league no one else can “scheme” their receivers open that much?

What if Mahomes is just looking/throwing his receivers open? Is that even remotely possible?  

it's a mix of both.

Mahomes has elite ball placement that other guys just don't have. Playing with a coach like Reid, along with the talent assembled in beneficial like it was for Alex Smith, but his arm talent, and decision making is just on another level. You just don't see guys consistently dropping bread basket bombs to their receivers without breaking stride.