Who will win league MVP?!?!

brownie man

It's almost certainly going to be a QB.   And if it's not a Mahomes-like dominant performance, then it's going to be a QB on a team that surges so far ahead, the QB gets the credit.

Mahomes is the CW easy pick.   Mayfield is the sexy pick (and rightfully so, given the weapons, if they can just fix the RG spot).

But let's get fun & add in dark horses:

1. Carson Wentz - great OL, great coach, great weapons.  On a MVP pace 2 years ago.  Has full explosion back post-ACL.   Has even more weapons in Sanders & JJAW joining Ertz/Goedert (year 2 surge) & Jeffery plus.  

2.  Deshaun Watson - he's got OL help coming, and he's got weapons upgraded.   HOU's D is also awful, so as long as he can stay upright (still a huge Q even with Tunsil added), then we already know he can play at an elite level - can he simply get 16 games in and not get killed, to play to his ceiling all season long?

3. Jameis Winston - my favorite 50-1+ pick - simply because TAM's going to have to chuck it 600x, heck maybe even 700x if they want to stay in games.   With Bruce Arians at the helm, and Godwin/Year 3 OJ Howard joining Mike Evans (and even Bret Perriman helps as WR3), man, the sky's the limit. 

The hard part for Winston, and much easier path for Watson/Wentz - you pretty much need to be a playoff team, and even a top 2 seed (or at least a division winner), to really count in the MVP discussion.   Which is another discussion, but is what it is - and it makes Wentz/Watson much more conventional candidates - but with CAR's change to a 3-4 D, Cam's injury struggles, and the ATL OL / D issues, I'd feel good about TAM being in the mix for the division with NO, rather than as the #4 team (why TAM is my favorite along with HOU for worst-to-first pick in 2019).

Edited by Broncofan

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

You must be a Patriots fan?

Not that having Brady #1 is really all that crazy w/AB in the mix. But Mahomes looks unstoppable. 

Mahomes looks like he has benefited from wide open receivers on big play, YAC, busted coverages as well as several impressive jump ball receptions by his receivers. The Mahomes hype, like the Trevor Lawrence hype, is getting ridiculous. At least Mahomes is in the NFL and playing like a top 5 QB, but as far as MVP race, I think things have been easy in the first two weeks for the reigning MVP.

@Matts4313 As for why I think Brady will finish at the top of MVP voting, well... going 19-0 and having a top 10 all-time statistical season in the process helps with the optics of it all. As much as anything else, despite what looks like a banged up offensive line all season long, I think the voters will sort of fall into the trap of a kind of career accomplishment award with Brady this season in MVP voting if the Pats do in fact go undefeated again.

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Mahomes looks like he has benefited from wide open receivers on big play, YAC, busted coverages as well as several impressive jump ball receptions by his receivers. The Mahomes hype, like the Trevor Lawrence hype, is getting ridiculous. At least Mahomes is in the NFL and playing like a top 5 QB, but as far as MVP race, I think things have been easy in the first two weeks for the reigning MVP.

Okay. 

But whats going to change? Mahomes has been doing this for like the last 20 games now. All the sudden his WRs wont get open? They wont get YAC? Reid wont scheme up ways to bust coverage?

If you are a Pats fan, shame on you. This sounds a lot like the "Brady is a system QB" arguments we heard for 15 years.

• Like 1