The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

27 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Maybe not the best but it's fun to read several paragraphs about 30 dudes for free. Unless you're a Mariners fan in which it's probably not worth reading past Kyle Lewis.

That's pretty much everyone but Law. MLB is actually probably shorter than most and it's mostly generic hogwash. Which is even more pathetic when you factor in the structural advantages they have. But aside from major events (Futures Game, CWS, maybe AFL), you're more likely to see Bigfoot at a minors/amateur game than Callis/Mayo. 

Ok, nevermind to the free part (FG aside). For me, it's worth paying the money for BP but I digress. I also pay for BA but probably won't renew. 

Edited by NewAge

7 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

On 2nd thought these fools changed Kyle Tucker's hit tool from 60 to 55.  lol

Haven't been able to see him much, but he's a career .272 hitter in the minors who's K rate jumped to 21% last year after being 16% in 2016.  Still not bad at all, but it looks like he is sacrificing some contact for power.  I'm still a believer though, kid is going to hit.

7 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Am I the only one thinking MLB is overrating Tatis Jr?  He might end up being a great player but his season last year wasnt that impressive to me. I know he is 19 but still. 

Here is the list if you havent seen it.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/

Don’t scout the stat line. He’s a borderline top 10 prospect.

That list, which I refuse to read all of, is an absolute joke but Tatis’ ranking is not a reason why. 

Edited by NewAge

25 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

How does Anthony Alford fall down the rankings. He has a very nice year including a MLB call up mid season.

Bo Bichette seems a tad high 

Not sure where he ranked before/after but probably because those rankings suck. I like Alford and think he’s a starting major league CF that’s about ready. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Mark Appel "stepping away" from baseball.  I think I read that he'd be only the third 1st overall pick not to make an mlb appearance, if he is indeed done for good.  Here's another obligatory thank you to the Astros for taking him over KB.  

I played little league with him before his family moved to California, such a good dude.  He just lost all of his confidence early on and didn't have the mental toughness to overcome it.

6 hours ago, CAS22 said:

I played little league with him before his family moved to California, such a good dude.  He just lost all of his confidence early on and didn't have the mental toughness to overcome it.

If spin rate was a commonly measured thing in college like it is now, I wonder where he gets drafted.

22 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Mark Appel "stepping away" from baseball.  I think I read that he'd be only the third 1st overall pick not to make an mlb appearance, if he is indeed done for good.  Here's another obligatory thank you to the Astros for taking him over KB.  

We got a WS without KB so we good.