The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

Hadn't heard anything about Hunter Greene in awhile so I checked up on him.  Oof.  He's been pretty bad.  10 BBs and a HBP in only 9.2 IP.  2 HRs allowed.  21 hits allowed (although these are always taken with a grain of salt in the low minors).  Ugly start.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, hrubes20 said:

Hadn't heard anything about Hunter Greene in awhile so I checked up on him.  Oof.  He's been pretty bad.  10 BBs and a HBP in only 9.2 IP.  2 HRs allowed.  21 hits allowed (although these are always taken with a grain of salt in the low minors).  Ugly start.

He has a .700+ BABIP against so far and then in his last couple outings his control has been off.  Haven't been able to see him live yet.  From what I've read is that when he is on, the fastball is 99 with movement.  When he isn't on, it's anywhere 96-101 and straight.  Considering he's still just 18 and in full season ball I'm not hitting the panic button yet, but it's a less than ideal start.

2 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

He has a .700+ BABIP against so far and then in his last couple outings his control has been off.  Haven't been able to see him live yet.  From what I've read is that when he is on, the fastball is 99 with movement.  When he isn't on, it's anywhere 96-101 and straight.  Considering he's still just 18 and in full season ball I'm not hitting the panic button yet, but it's a less than ideal start.

Oh, for sure.  As long as he's healthy, you don't do that for a few more years.  I was just more shocked at the amount of walks and hard contact he is giving up.  Usually guys with his stuff and pedigree can mow through low A hitters.  

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

New mock draft from Jim Callis at MLB Pipeline.  Based on the comments it sounds like he's starting to hear some rumblings, and he's usually as plugged into the draft as anybody.

https://www.mlb.com/news/college-players-lead-in-mlb-mock-draft/c-276190214?tid=151437456

The latest I've seen from other places has Wilcox making a big leap up draft boards.  Combined with the questions surrounding Hankins, more than a few think he'll be the 1st prep pitcher from Georgia selected.

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The latest I've seen from other places has Wilcox making a big leap up draft boards.  Combined with the questions surrounding Hankins, more than a few think he'll be the 1st prep pitcher from Georgia selected.

Have wanted him at 8 since last summer. Him or Swaggerty, but he wont be there. 

38 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I dont Watch much video on these draft guys, can someone @hrubes20 @devils1854 @THE DUKE Or anyone give me a brief report on Ethan Hankins? Really like the clips I’ve seen, got a nice easy delivery. Would love if he fell to the Cardinals pick at #19. Is that 15-20 range where you guys see him going? 

Thanks for the info. 

Hankins would have been a top 5 pick if he hadn't hurt his shoulder this spring.  Was sitting mid-90's, bumping 98 with life. Great frame and athleticism.  Breaking ball routinely flashed plus and I saw positive reports on his change, although he never uses it at the prep level.  Basically everything you want from a prep pitcher.  But the reports after he returned from the shoulder haven't been as pretty.  Low 90's heat, with worse command.  Breaking ball lost its bite.  It all comes down to the team's medicals with Hankins.  If they are convinced it was only a fluke muscular thing as reported, then Hankins would be a nice get.  He's gonna be expensive though, as he is a Vandy commit.

• Like 1