The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

2 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

That's one of the teams that would have seemed likely to give him a chance, after Matt Bush, Josh Hamilton, etc.

I think it's tough to know really. This is a totally different level. Hamilton made mistakes, struggled with addiction, and that was the root of it. Jeremy Jeffress (another guy you could throw in this boat) has epilepsy, self-medicated, and struggled with addiction partially as a result. Matt Bush escalates from that.

But this is just something else entirely.

42 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think it's tough to know really. This is a totally different level. Hamilton made mistakes, struggled with addiction, and that was the root of it. Jeremy Jeffress (another guy you could throw in this boat) has epilepsy, self-medicated, and struggled with addiction partially as a result. Matt Bush escalates from that.

But this is just something else entirely.

Fair point about Hamilton.  He only hurt himself.

The type of offense is more reprehensible for sure, but both Bush and Heimlich knowingly made decisions that hurt other people.  Bush should have not been given a chance to play major league baseball again.  But we've gone through our respective positions on DUIs ad nauseum in the Oscar Taveras discussion.

There's 6, potentially 7 teams that are even entertaining the possibility of drafting him late, and that's a very tacit thing.

General feeling around the league is, justifiably and rightfully, that he is not welcome. But that doesn't totally remove the possibility. 

(For the sanity of all involved here I will note that I haven't heard any murmurings of anything regarding any of the FF crews teams in this matter)

2 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

There's 6, potentially 7 teams that are even entertaining the possibility of drafting him late, and that's a very tacit thing.

General feeling around the league is, justifiably and rightfully, that he is not welcome. But that doesn't totally remove the possibility. 

(For the sanity of all involved here I will note that I haven't heard any murmurings of anything regarding any of the FF crews teams in this matter)

It's gonna be ******* Preller isn't it.

6 hours ago, FEARtheELF said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/shane-bieber-throws-no-hitter-for-clippers/c-278337016

this guy has been special since arriving to the minors. He is forcing his way to Cleveland sooner rather than later, even with the lack of a rotation spot.

I'll never understand how he and Corbin Burnes fell to the 4th round. Those two just know how to pitch.

I'm ready for baseball Regionals to start. Wright State's offense has erupted for 79 runs over the last 6 games and won the Horizon League title today. We've gotten real close to Super Regionals but this team could do it. Just depends on where we end up.

So as a Giants fan, who should I most want them to draft at #2, and who do I want them to avoid? The most common name i see tied to them so far is Bart, but I've heard some others mentioned as well (Singer, some under slot type guys, but that doesn't strike me as something the Giants would do at #2) 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

So as a Giants fan, who should I most want them to draft at #2, and who do I want them to avoid? The most common name i see tied to them so far is Bart, but I've heard some others mentioned as well (Singer, some under slot type guys, but that doesn't strike me as something the Giants would do at #2) 

Probably Bart. If he actually can hit like his line this year and be effective behind the plate, I think he should go #1. That combination is rare.

• Like 1

Just now, bkobow05 said:

Probably Bart. If he actually can hit like his line this year and be effective behind the plate, I think he should go #1. That combination is rare.

Then again, Casey Mize's control is on another level so I get him going #1. Still, Bart should be who you want at #2 assuming what I said.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Bart and India strike out a lot for college.  I'd be wary of any college hitter who strikes out more than they walk.  At least in round 1.

Shane Bieber getting called up by the Indians to start Thursday.  He's been absolutely dominant this year to the tune of a 1.38 ERA and 0.74 WHIP in 65.1 IP between AA and AAA.  In his minor league career he has 244 K in 262.2 IP and a grand total of 15 BB.  A BB/9 rate of 0.51 is absolutely insane.  Only 3 BB vs 61 K this year.