The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Who compared Gleyber to Jed Lowrie?

I made reference to Jed Lowrie, but I didn't comp their tools.  I threw out Jed Lowrie as the comp for the type of impact Gleyber will have, i.e. overall value.  I said Gleyber will be an annual 3-4 WAR guy, with maybe a tad bit more in a peak year.  A really solid guy to have on your squad, but he wouldn't be a superstar (like Jed Lowrie). 

For the record, even with what I would classify as unsustainable power numbers from him so far through 60-some games, his production would be extrapolated to 4.1 fWAR over 162 games.  Of course, his defense isn't as bad as the metrics say in Fangraphs either, so it may even out.  

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Tyler O’Neil needs to be in the Majors. Not like anyone should be blocking him on the Cardinals roster. 

For sure.  He's not going to be able to work on the contact issues facing AAA pitching at this point.

Of course, that means Dex rides the pine, which makes me sad.  His plummet this year is one of the bigger head-scratchers of 2018 for me.

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

For sure.  He's not going to be able to work on the contact issues facing AAA pitching at this point.

Of course, that means Dex rides the pine, which makes me sad.  His plummet this year is one of the bigger head-scratchers of 2018 for me.

I think a very significant part of his 2018 crapshow season is because he hates St. Louis and the clubhouse.

If I was rebuilding, he'd be my #1 target in a prospects+Fowler for nothing deal. Then let Fowler rebuild some of his value and flip him, eating some of the money in a year or two.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

37 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I think a very significant part of his 2018 crapshow season is because he hates St. Louis and the clubhouse.

If I was rebuilding, he'd be my #1 target in a prospects+Fowler for nothing deal. Then let Fowler rebuild some of his value and flip him, eating some of the money in a year or two.

I think the Cardinals would sooner do a Mike Leake deal and eat a majority of his salary before they attach prospects to him.  That being said, the NTC is a bigger obstacle to overcome, and he's probably not going to waive that NTC unless he's either getting compensated or going to a contender.  At $43.5M over the next three years, he's a burden for any team given his production.  He's obviously not going to be this bad the entire season.  I almost wonder if Atlanta would have interest in him if the Cardinals ate a good portion of his salary.  That's probably a team he'd waive his NTC for.