The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

On 8/26/2019 at 4:05 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I mean more generally, the prospects focus on the forum came because the minor league sites at that time were in rough shape. Baseball America was the best.

Nowadays BP and Fangraphs crush it. They get tons of in person looks, have good contacts to check stuff, and produce tons of content. We aren't going to add much.

Yea but we’re supposed to be horrific homers and pretend we have unique takes on players

31 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Even Alcides (aka your last overrated light hitting SS kid) ended up being useful for a few years

Oh my last one was Mondesi Jr. 

Almost as bad as when greenie asked me what I thought about this really skinny high school pitcher with good velocity and decent spin rate, and I was like "man he's way too skinny, how do you think he'll put on enough weight to start". greenie liked him in the early rounds. And he was Triston McKenzie.

WHOOPS

On 8/28/2019 at 10:43 AM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Oh my last one was Mondesi Jr. 

Almost as bad as when greenie asked me what I thought about this really skinny high school pitcher with good velocity and decent spin rate, and I was like "man he's way too skinny, how do you think he'll put on enough weight to start". greenie liked him in the early rounds. And he was Triston McKenzie.

WHOOPS

Couple of comments:

1) Mondesi’s problems were due to overzealous speed of development. He’s flawed but he has the talent to be one of those occasional stars who alternates with being crap.

2) I wouldn’t kick yourself over Triston McKenzie...He hasn’t added much to his frame and he hasn’t exactly held up because of it.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Fangraphs put an 80 FV on Wander Franco. Would probably be the first 80 FV prospect since the Harper/Trout days.

He might be the most bust-proof prospect I’ve ever known. He can step into a major league lineup right now and be an All Star...but the Rays will call him up when he’s 25.

43 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

He might be the most bust-proof prospect I’ve ever known. He can step into a major league lineup right now and be an All Star...but the Rays will call him up when he’s 25.

Based on his present tools, Longenhagen thinks he'd be an all star right now so your post isn't even hyperbole. 60 present hit tool for a 19 year old is...frightening and abnormal.

I'd have a hard time giving an 80 FV to anyone that doesn't at least project for 65/70 game power though. Who was the last guy who lead the bigs in WAR without putting up 30 HRs or a .500-ish slugging percentage? Even when Mauer or Ellsbury won MVPs they hit for power.

7 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Fangraphs put an 80 FV on Wander Franco. Would probably be the first 80 FV prospect since the Harper/Trout days.

It means less now that Kiley took over for Law at ESPN, but Longenhagen giving him an 80 FV is still something.  I'm with you on the lack of plus power and FV though. 

• 3 months later...

Loving the Jays updated top 10 prospects

1. P Nate Pearson

2. SS/3B Jordan Groshans

3. SS/CF Austin Martin

4. P Simeon Woods - Richardson

5. P Alek Manoah

6. SS Orelvis Martinez 

7. C Alejandro Kirk

8. IF Miguel Hiraldo

9. C Gabriel Moreno

10. P Adam Kloffenstein 

Kind of top heavy but still a top 10 farm system with Vladdy, Bichette, Biggio and Jansen just graduating 

Edited by BillsGuy82

On 6/12/2020 at 4:46 PM, BillsGuy82 said:

Loving the Jays updated top 10 prospects

1. P Nate Pearson

2. SS/3B Jordan Groshans

3. SS/CF Austin Martin

4. P Simeon Woods - Richardson

5. P Alek Manoah

6. SS Orelvis Martinez 

7. C Alejandro Kirk

8. IF Miguel Hiraldo

9. C Gabriel Moreno

10. P Adam Kloffenstein 

Kind of top heavy but still a top 10 farm system with Vladdy, Bichette, Biggio and Jansen just graduating 

So glad the Cubs chose Brendon Little, the OTHER JuCo 1st rounder, 1 pick ahead of Pearson.  Sigh.