The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I just mean more that they put on ridiculous mass really young, but have a really stiff, clunky swing.

I remember watching Thames as a youngster in Binghamton (he kicked dirt into our faces and apologized), and I don't think he became a large son until Korea.

As for Jasson, idk.  He's certainly a better athlete at that size than Thames, but I'm a huge skeptic of teenage prospects as it is. At least he's just overly muscular like Bo Jackson or LaRon Landry, rather than a fatboy like Vladdy Grounderro Jr. or Sano.

9 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

I remember watching Thames as a youngster in Binghamton (he kicked dirt into our faces and apologized), and I don't think he became a large son until Korea.

As for Jasson, idk.  He's certainly a better athlete at that size than Thames, but I'm a huge skeptic of teenage prospects as it is. At least he's just overly muscular like Bo Jackson or LaRon Landry, rather than a fatboy like Vladdy Grounderro Jr. or Sano.

Nah he had steroid rumors as a prospect based on his physique.

On 8/7/2020 at 5:46 PM, redsoxsuck05 said:

nah, you were just wrong about Gleyber Torres and couldn't stop digging

That certainly may end up being the case, but overall that hasn't been shown yet.  He definitely has hit for more power than I thought he would (although the bandbox he plays in, along with the juiced ball certainly help).  But the overall game is still in that 3-4 WAR range, which is where I said he would be.  Plenty of time for him to prove me wrong, but he's no superstar at this point.  A permanent shift to 2B would likely help him quite a bit as well.  

But it's true that I do tend to be on the negative side on a bunch of prospects, almost as a relfex to the over-optimistic takes that most tend to have on their team's own prospects.  It's a curse.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 1:25 PM, hrubes20 said:

That certainly may end up being the case, but overall that hasn't been shown yet.  He definitely has hit for more power than I thought he would (although the bandbox he plays in, along with the juiced ball certainly help).  But the overall game is still in that 3-4 WAR range, which is where I said he would be.  Plenty of time for him to prove me wrong, but he's no superstar at this point.  A permanent shift to 2B would likely help him quite a bit as well.  

But it's true that I do tend to be on the negative side on a bunch of prospects, almost as a relfex to the over-optimistic takes that most tend to have on their team's own prospects.  It's a curse.

while i cant remember exactly what you said about torres so i dont know if this is true, what i do remember is you saying jiminez is the real prize and the yankees messed up. Both guys are good players but gleyber is just about as good offensively, and eloy is likely destined to be a DH who is a detriment on the bases. Still early, very early, but oops?

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 1:25 PM, hrubes20 said:

Generally, that is the right view to have, as fans get ridiculously over hyped on their own prospects (I'm no exception) and everything seems to be "one or two small adjustments" or "just needs a little more seasoning".  Even outside prospects we like we tend to put blinders up to support our own opinions.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Generally, that is the right view to have, as fans get ridiculously over hyped on their own prospects (I'm no exception) and everything seems to be "one or two small adjustments" or "just needs a little more seasoning".  Even outside prospects we like we tend to put blinders up to support our own opinions.

I should post a list of guys I'm higher on than their national rankings suggest, but I'm too lazy.  

10 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

let me semi correct this, the vast majoriry of prospects fail. everyone overhypes prospects, for the simple fact we dont know the end result and percentages say it wont work out, even for highly ratee guys. if you ever want to scratch your head, go look at past mlb drafts. the tkp half of the first round are littered with guys litealy never make it or perform poorly.