The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/prospects/article/37535/baseball-prospectus-top-101-prospects-2018-top-mlb-prospects-ronald-acuna-victor-robles-vladimir-guerrero-jr-eloy-jimenez/

Easily the best list of the year. Some things that stand out to me.

• Robles at 2....agree
  • Mejia top 5....pretty much agree
  • Rodgers, Crawford, and Adames ahead of Bichette.........strongly agree
  • Kolby Allard at 24, while not even on other lists after good season......probably closer to 40 honestly
  • Hiura at 32.....Id go even higher for him
  • Jo Adell at 38........Not as bullish on him. Small sample size in R ball doesnt take away concerns
  • Joey Wentz at 45......he is the best pitching prospect in ATL organization. Getting respect here
  • Riley Pint still ranked........interesting
  • Jake Berger at 85........was my top guy in the draft last year. Huge steal for CWS imo
  •  

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'd be very interested into why Touki Toussaint is over Alec Hansen. A whole lot of love for the Braves (surprise, surprise) or guys the Braves were high on (Tristian Lutz) on that list.

I am not advocating for Touki over Hansen, but he has been somewhat of an afterthought in the Braves org since he was traded. He is just 21, and in over 100 innings in A+ had a K/9 of 10.51 and BB/9 of 3.59. Compare that to 2016 in A ball(8.71, 4.83). He still has good stuff. There was a reason he was drafted as high as he was. He was just raw as hell.

Is he a top 100 prospect? Meh. Wouldnt argue if you said he wasnt, but he is still projectable. 

16 hours ago, devils1854 said:

I am not advocating for Touki over Hansen, but he has been somewhat of an afterthought in the Braves org since he was traded. He is just 21, and in over 100 innings in A+ had a K/9 of 10.51 and BB/9 of 3.59. Compare that to 2016 in A ball(8.71, 4.83). He still has good stuff. There was a reason he was drafted as high as he was. He was just raw as hell.

Is he a top 100 prospect? Meh. Wouldnt argue if you said he wasnt, but he is still projectable. 

I was huge on Touki in the 2014 draft.  I was pissed when he went 3 spots before the Reds (who ended up with Nick Howard who almost immediately got Steve Blass disease).  Stuff has never been the problem, he just wasn't able to harness it before last year.  Getting his walk rate down to 4.0 last year was a nice improvement.  If he can take another step forward and get it under 3.5 this year, then he's a top 50 guy by midseason imo.  I wouldn't be shocked it he gets a tick or two more on his fastball either as he enters his mid 20's.  Still has the frame to add another 10-15 lbs of muscle without affecting his body type.

• 2 weeks later...