The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

Just now, DalCowboyzRule said:

Is this Martinez dude good or is he another Leonys Martin?

The only thing I've seen about him, was Badler dropping a young Granderson offensive comp on him.  Seems to be fairly legit.  Osiel Rodriguez, the 16 year old pitcher from Cuba looks interesting as well, although he won't be granted FA until the next signing period.

On 2/19/2018 at 6:31 PM, NewAge said:

We already lost two of the more interesting post-first round college lefties to TJS in Gingery and Hooper (injury happened in the fall). Hogan Harris left yesterday's start with an injury too. 

And now Tyler Holton too. 

2 hours ago, NewAge said:

Yes. 

That makes sense then.  I was going to wonder why these youngsters don't just toke up during the offseason and quit a week or two before ST.

1 hour ago, NewAge said:

And now Tyler Holton too. 

That's sucks.  Had his velo jumped up at all in his first start?  I know Cole Sands had a killer start, showing improved stuff.

4 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

That makes sense then.  I was going to wonder why these youngsters don't just toke up during the offseason and quit a week or two before ST.

That's sucks.  Had his velo jumped up at all in his first start?  I know Cole Sands had a killer start, showing improved stuff.

Stros tried really hard to get Sands to sign out of HS.  Couldn't save enough pool $ to get it done unfortunately.

6 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

And now he broke his wrist and is out a month...

As long as there are no reasons to suspect lingering effects long term, it's be fine with the Reds taking him at 5.  Might be able to play SS, super advanced hit tool, small strike zone, plus speed.

23 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Would still take him at 8 for the Braves.

Whats everyone's thoughts on Joey Bart from Georgia Tech?

Catcher is a huge need for the Braves, and he is born and raised in the metro area.

I haven't gotten to see him play yet.  What I've read on him sounds very Zunino-esque.  Solid (not great) defensive catcher with a good arm.  Lots of power potential in the bat, with a questionable hit tool.  He's also a big boy, so you have to worry about him outgrowing the position as well.

16 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

As long as there are no reasons to suspect lingering effects long term, it's be fine with the Reds taking him at 5.  Might be able to play SS, super advanced hit tool, small strike zone, plus speed.

Then it just comes down to the power.  If it shows up, you have Altuve-light.  If it doesn't, you have Ronald Torreyes.