The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

The Phillies have some promising talent out of Latin America.

Jhaylin Ortiz has an OPS of 1.046 at the moment and has tremendous raw power and he's only 18. Add that to a pretty impressive K rate and athletic ability for his size and it's easy to see why he might be my favorite prospect in the system. I'd love to see him improve his walk rate but it's not completely terrible.

Sixto Sanchez is only 19 and is already hitting 100 mph on the gun. He's striking out about a hitter per inning, doesn't walk many batters (9 thru 67 innings), and gets a lot of ground balls (1 HR allowed). He projects to have 3 plus pitches and has wowed scouts all season.

"He threw a 101-mph fastball on the outer corner for a called strike three to end the second inning. The scouts scribbled notes. They looked across the aisle to make eye contact and confirm.

Then, the banter began.

“Jose Fernandez,” one scout said.

“Pedro Martinez,” a second said.

“The best arm I’ve seen in the minors this year,” another said.

“Jesus,” a fourth scout said, not as a comparison, but to express disbelief."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/philadelphia-phillies-pitching-prospect-sixto-sanchez-scouting-report-100-miles-per-hour-fastball-20170713.html%3famphtml=y

Add that to the emergence of Scott Kingrey, the continued consistency of Rhys Hoskins, the power potential of Dylan Cozens, the potential of Moniak, Hasely, guys having less than stellar seasons who are still legitimate prospects in Alafaro and Crawford (call it what you will, he still gets on base and has been insanely unlucky with his BABIP, and is still a plus defender) and guys producing at a major league level like Nola, Altherr, and Williams, and the Phillies have a lot of young talent in the organization, and have more money to play around with in Latin America after adding $ at the deadline.

8 hours ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

Jhaylin Ortiz has an OPS of 1.046 at the moment and has tremendous raw power and he's only 18. Add that to a pretty impressive K rate and athletic ability for his size and it's easy to see why he might be my favorite prospect in the system. I'd love to see him improve his walk rate but it's not completely terrible.

Huh?  Did he slim down at all?  He had one of the worst bodies for a 16 year old I had seen since I started paying attention to IFA signings.  A clear 1B/DH only type.  Like the bat though.

12 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Huh?  Did he slim down at all?  He had one of the worst bodies for a 16 year old I had seen since I started paying attention to IFA signings.  A clear 1B/DH only type.  Like the bat though.

He hasn't, but he moves surprisingly well for his size. Might be able to stick in a corner for a few years, but his body will force him to 1B.

56 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Dont know how to post a twitter yet, but the Braves have called up Max Fried to pitch out of the pen because sure.

Who would have thought a couple years ago that Fried would make the majors before Giolito?

Giolito debuted in 2016

• Like 1

1 hour ago, devils1854 said:

Dont know how to post a twitter yet, but the Braves have called up Max Fried to pitch out of the pen because sure.

Who would have thought a couple years ago that Fried would make the majors before Giolito?

This one is a complete wtf move. Dont get it at all.