The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

I asked this in the Phillies thread but I figure there's a broader knowledge base in here. With some of the Phillies better prospect bats (Hoskins and Kingery) currently being blocked at the major league level they've had Hoskins play a little LF and Kingery play a little 3B.

How often (if ever) has a player switched positions this late in their development and been successful at the new position?

1 hour ago, Hockey5djh said:

I asked this in the Phillies thread but I figure there's a broader knowledge base in here. With some of the Phillies better prospect bats (Hoskins and Kingery) currently being blocked at the major league level they've had Hoskins play a little LF and Kingery play a little 3B.

How often (if ever) has a player switched positions this late in their development and been successful at the new position?

Down the defensive spectrum? All the time. Up the defensive spectrum is more rare.

I don't get the Phillies moving Hoskins since they have nobody that good at 1B, but it's LF so even though Hoskins isn't a good runner he can't be THAT bad in a year where your win/loss record doesn't matter.

Kingery going from 2B to 3B is all about if he has enough arm. That's technically down the defensive spectrum (ish 2B and 3B are different) so if he can throw he'll be fine.

49 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Down the defensive spectrum? All the time. Up the defensive spectrum is more rare.

I don't get the Phillies moving Hoskins since they have nobody that good at 1B, but it's LF so even though Hoskins isn't a good runner he can't be THAT bad in a year where your win/loss record doesn't matter.

Kingery going from 2B to 3B is all about if he has enough arm. That's technically down the defensive spectrum (ish 2B and 3B are different) so if he can throw he'll be fine.

Yea, the Hoskins move doesn't really make sense because Tommy Joseph isn't Jim Thome blocking Ryan Howard. He's a .250 hitter with a decent power profile but pretty  replaceable at 1B IMO. Kingery to 3rd is interesting because we have no legitimate players to really challenge Franco and make him actually work for his position.

I think both at this point are more experiments than actual switches but who knows.

Edited by Hockey5djh
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Hoskins' switch is just to get him some ABs because, for whatever reason, they refuse to bench Tommy Joseph.

Kingery hasn't seen a ton of starts at 3B and they're just trying to see if he can do it. I don't think it's something that will stick for either player, or that the Phillies think it will stick.

1 hour ago, NewAge said:

Haven't seen more than highlights on him so I don't know. 

I see a ton of Ironpigs game, and I'm not as proficient as a baseball scout as a lot of you guys (or at all really), but I'd say it's a 70. He's picked it up as of late, but at the beginning of the year there was a major lack of consistency. His range is remarkable though, and it makes him really fun to watch. 

Edited by utley4568

9 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I think the only 80 glove shortstops in baseball are Lindor and Simmons, so a 70 sounds a lot more reasonable here. 

He makes plays that I don't think Lindor can. I could see leaving Simmons as the only 80, or keeping Crawford at 70 if you don't think the consistency is going to materialize (which wouldn't be an unreasonable opinion). 

But in terms of pure range/physical ability on defense and focusing exclusively on ceiling, I think there's a case to be made for Crawford over Lindor.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, NewAge said:

I think the only 80 glove shortstops in baseball are Lindor and Simmons, so a 70 sounds a lot more reasonable here. 

Simmons I get, but I can't see Lindor as an 80 glove. Defensively, I'm not sure I"m taking him over Brandon Crawford.