The Prospect/Amateur Thread - Where It's A Brand New Season

ramssuperbowl99

I guess those three were all the same year... and some people had Moore over Trout, which was dumb at the time and is obviously dumb in hindsight.  I just don't remember him being viewed as a generational talent, just the best pitching prospect in baseball at the time and one of the better ones we'd seen in a while, but not at a Strasburg/Harper or even Price/Wieters level.

• Like 1

Tbh I went and read some prospect **** from 2011/2012 to figure out what happened and how Moore was ranked ahead of Harper and Trout by some people, out of curiosity. 

My working hypothesis is extreme recency bias.  In mid-2011 Sweet Spot did this article rankings the top prospects ever.  Harper and Trout were both top-20 all time along with guys like Griffey Jr, ARod, Matt Wieters, etc.  Moore wasn't on the list and probably wasn't even particularly close to the list.  The peak of his entire athletic career happened to coincide with his last 9 starts of 2011 at AAA and then everyone went back into their basements to do prospect lists and overrated the guy, who was obviously a great great prospect, but was no Bryce Harper. 

I have no doubt at the start of 2012 if the Rays had offered the Angels Matt Moore for Mike Trout, the Angels would've hung up.  Just bad prospect rankings by the guys at BA/BP tbh.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I know but for those of us who don't have the time to scout and don't work in baseball directly to be affected by what he did, it's hard to be upset about it. He raised the bar for prospect coverage with his org lists and "what makes a hit tool" when he was with Fangraphs.

Very pleased for selfish reasons.  I don't get to watch nearly as much minor league ball as I used to, and Kiley did a fantastic job before.  

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, BrownieTheElf said:

Was that Hays? Because I’m pretty sure that’s where I stopped as well. Especially considering I think Rodgers is after him.

I use to love BAs Top 100 but it’s gone downhill. Who is everyone’s favorite top 100?

Yes, Hays is 21.